Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #295
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Yet you CAN turn a blind eye to Chevy's past reliability problems?
The difference between the Chevy we have today, and the Chevy we had in the past is pretty big IMO. I can't really view this as the same company that we had 10-15 years ago.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #296
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Runner View Post
The are not for sale yet... autoblog just test drove one last week, and a loaded Charger R/T will run you $36k
Quote:
You may want to actually read what these cars are actually doing. And also you need to fact check your prices. The regular R/Ts hit 60 in 5.1-5.2 and mid 13 1/4 mile times, with specials like the Mopar 10 and Dayotna should be high 4s and are running low 13s, GM is estimating around 5 flat for the SS, might do a 4.8-4.9. On pricing the R/T starts at 29995 plus destination, AWD runs 2500 more (not available on the SS at any price), you add the track pack, driver confidence group, super track pack, nav, and distronic cruise does bring it to 38k, that does include all the lux goodies and performance goodies, many not even seeming available on the SS such as the adjustable suspension, rear heated seats, heated and cooled cupholders, etc, etc. As for the 8 speed auto,, it is set to be available for the 14 model year with the hemis, same as the GC and Ram, which should make it even quicker and yes, should be easily inline with the SS in performance. This transmission is one of the main reasons a 315 HP 4000+ pound Audi A6 can run well into the 13s. Anyways, since the SS is a 14 model this is the only fair comparison. Also, keep in mind, in the tests i read between the G8 GT and Charger R/T it was hardly a blowout. Their times were not that far off and handling numbers were very similar. One thing to also consider with that was that that year had the origonal 5.7 Hemi with 340-350 HP and NOT the 09 + version with 370. With it, the Charger would have had the acceleration advantage. it was the same with the 09 SRT8 with the old 6.1 and the G8 GXP, all the times and numbers were basically identical with the Charger just being a little more raucus and musclecar like and the G8 having a more European feel, which we all know is what the mainstream journalists prefer. We won't even get into the 11+ Charger. Yes it weighs a lot, but it hides that weight, drives smaller than it really is and is desribed by more than one magazine as driving like the older BMWs before BMW dumbed their cars down. The Charger is way more of a competitor than you are making it out to be and since it WILL be getting the 8 speed auto, it's real chink in it's armor is about to be fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Runner View Post
Was about to correct him on that.. Car and driver got 5.2 secs with the 5 speed

And for $36K... Chevy lost the mainstream V8 RWD 4 door sedan segment this time.. giving credit that is due.. the G8 kick the old chargers ass.. but this is now
Thank you both for making my point.

A 5.1 to 5.2 won't "smoke" an SS.

And I only went to the Dodge website on what was currently available as a2013 model. You were talking like these cars were available. One of you said the 8 speed was available with the Hemi. Per Dodge it isn't (as I said) YET.

My point was simply that this car won't smoke an SS and simply by your own numbers it won't even keep up.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #297
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Please see my previous post, and if you want to talk issues I could go into the issues with my brother's 09 CTS which have now eveolved into major computer issues which has disabled the AWD, ABS, and parking assist, added to the navigation failures, the leaky sunroof, constant pinging in the engine and multiple coil replacements, carpet replacemnts, front end clunks, and it keeps getting worse.... I am sure his CTS like your coworkers engine replacemnt is NOT normal, so don't act as if it is and if I searched the net I know i could find examples of LS3s needing replacements too.
My owner experience with my cars:

'70 Chevy Nova SS 350: High school car that me my dad put together with junkyard engine donor '69 Turbo-Fire 350. Passed it on to my sister for college when I left for boot camp until it was t-boned in an accident in '84.

'78 Chevy C10 Bonanza: 172,000 miles. 1st truck, bought from my dad, 305 V8 was not a power house but it wasn't a slug either. Had duals put on from manifold back with turbo mufflers and chrome exhaust tips for less than $100.00. I miss the '80's. Kids loved riding high thru the snow drifts from the christmas storm of '89 in Beaufort,SC. Sold before leaving for overseas deployment '90.

'85 Chevy Cavalier Type 10 RS: Purchased after overseas duty in'85, wanted IROC-Z but I had to eat and put gas in it and also insure it too. Served me well for cross country driving duty while stationed in SoCal: power steering rack seals leak was only issue for 4 years and 120,000 miles: totaled by a drunk driver in '89.

"86 Chevy Chevette: What can I say. It was cheap in '88 but cost me much. Traded for a HP laser printer in '91.

'85 Chevy Monte Carlo SS: Replaces the Cavalier, loved this car but someone loved it more, stolen in Huntington Beach, Ca in '92 after Desert Storm. 135,000 miles new

'91 BMW 525: Great handling car, loved driving up and down Ortega Hwy 74. Wife's car bought in SoCal. 240,000 happy miles driven but scheduled service required regularly, german cars, cheap in Cali not cheap in Ga. Sold.

'91 Pontiac Grand Prix LE: Replaces the SS in the garage but not in spirit. Totaled in deer accident on way to work one morning to base in 2000. 167,000 Original shocks, front brake pads.

'98 Chevy Malibu LS: replaces Grand Prix, now serves as my kids car. 185,000 miles. Replaced windshield and door weather stripping due to air leak. Kids are rough on cars.

'01 Chevy Tahoe LT: My "HOE". 236,000 miles since new and serves as my daily driver. Original shocks & front brake pads, replaced rear brake pads, fuel pump & water pump. Also replaced rear lift glass due to damaged plastic glass hinge, penny pinching bean counters. Note: Do Not Open lift glass on frigid frosty mornings, use lift gate instead.

'05 Toyota Camry: Co-signed & recovered from a family member who fell on hard times. Wheel bearings replaced after 35,000 miles and engine sludge issue from TSB warnings. Engine smokes briefly on startup. Daughter drives to school for now. Service requirement is geared to rob you blind due to annual alignment check requirement by stealerships tires for life program. Oh What A Feel'n with 110,000 miles. NOT.

'05 Chevy Tahoe LT: 165,000 mile on wife's daily driver but now past down to the kids.

'08 Silverado LT Ext cab: 85,000 miles on the 5.3 with all-star edition package.

'13 Chevy Equinox LTZ 3.6: The wife's New daily driver and getting up to 30 mpg on the freeway from the V6. Thanks BeckyD@Rodgershevy

'13 future BeckyD customer for a '14 Camaro LS7 or ZL1 or 1LE...

Sorry for hi-jack of the thread. Move on please.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 02-20-2013 at 09:26 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #298
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
Lots of posts by some Dodge fan and someone complaining about CTS. Your all way off topic. Okay here's the facts about Dodge and others considering reliability.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

To save u the reading I can tell you Chevy was barely better than the industry average in dependability. Dodge was second to LAST and only more reliable than the terrible Land Rover brand. Cadillac for the CTS hater was also below average.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #299
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice

I spent a good portion of my day setting ride heights, corner weighting and aligning this 7.3L FI Challenger. It has every available Pedders Suspension and Petty's Garage Chassis part. I am well aware of exactly how good or bad each of the Modern Muscle Car Chassis are and how to fix them.

The G8 was built on a ZETA chassis. The Camaro is built on a ZETA II chassis. The differences are minimal with the ZETA II a bit more robust with larger ball joints, ball studs and front knuckle / strut clevis. Arm lengths and geometry are almost identical.
On a road course the G8 longer wheel base handles better than the shorter wheelbase Camaro. The Camaro so no slouch. I should know as Pedderised Camaros have been consistently the faster modern muscle cars to run at the OUSCI since 2009.

The SS will run on 'ZETA III' the VY chassis. You can expect it to handle exceptionally well from the factory. The limiting factor from an aftermarket perspective will be the amount of rubber we can fit into the wheel wells.

The LX/C MOPARS suffer from exactly the same issue. Too much car and not enough rubber. They also are very limited in rear sway bar size and are heavier than the Camaro, G8 and I would guess the SS.

The big plus for the LX/ C is it has front upper control arms. We make good use of them

We have built and been involved in the builds of some of the most extreme and powerful MOPARS, Mustangs, G8s and Camaros. My builder-dealers can make massive reliable power in all of them. We can get that power to the ground. My second car was a HEMI Charger. I spent many years looking down my nose at Ford and Chevy. At this time I have a bias toward GM with the Camaro, G8 and soon the SS. My business takes me past that bias and I enjoy making all of them better. I had a great time today with Mike and Jim and the Challenger My best Ford, Chevy and MOPAR builds are all almost identical in performance. There is an equalizer at work. None of these vehicles have enough rubber for their RWHP, BHP and Weight. We run out of tire. We don't run out of car.

Now I'll sit back and listen to the rest of you debate which car is faster or better built
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #300
BloodRain
Account Suspended

Drives: 1LE
I absolutely love that colour on that chally. Even on a cloudy day it looks fantastic.
BloodRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #301
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I'm a GM loyalist but I appreciate many of the cars from the competition. My family growing up had GM cars starting with Chevy's and moving up thru the years to Cadillacs and my best friends parents had Ford products with my uncle owning nothing but Chryslers growing up in the 60's and 70's. We always would brag about the fast cars of the day but we respected each others preferences. We all lived on the same street.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #302
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

My best Ford, Chevy and MOPAR builds are all almost identical in performance. There is an equalizer at work. None of these vehicles have enough rubber for their RWHP, BHP and Weight. We run out of tire. We don't run out of car.

Now I'll sit back and listen to the rest of you debate which car is faster or better built

Fan of all musclecars.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #303
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider58 View Post
Lots of posts by some Dodge fan and someone complaining about CTS. Your all way off topic. Okay here's the facts about Dodge and others considering reliability.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

To save u the reading I can tell you Chevy was barely better than the industry average in dependability. Dodge was second to LAST and only more reliable than the terrible Land Rover brand. Cadillac for the CTS hater was also below average.
ROFL, guess what, i thought GM had better quality now too, and I talked my brother into getting that CTS, so, don't make estimates on calling someone a hater or a fanboy without having the facts, and LD POWERS??? ROFL! they are the very ones that include how easy the navigation system is to use against reliability and also, most of the current reliability ratings don't include the heavily revised or new 11+ models.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #304
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quit thread jacking.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #305
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Thank you both for making my point.

A 5.1 to 5.2 won't "smoke" an SS.

And I only went to the Dodge website on what was currently available as a2013 model. You were talking like these cars were available. One of you said the 8 speed was available with the Hemi. Per Dodge it isn't (as I said) YET.

My point was simply that this car won't smoke an SS and simply by your own numbers it won't even keep up.
Well, i see it this way, while the 8 speed auto won't have the same fact on the V8s, going from the 5 speed to the 8 speed knocked a full second off the 0-60 of V6 LX cars, It should EASILY be in the 4s right there with the SS. Not smoking it, but it will keep up just fine. the problem is that it is positioned by GM with their hype, limited production, and "4 door Corvette" comments like an SRT competitor, which is a mid 12 second car in the 1/4 mile as is and low/mid 4s 0-60. It will probably have a more SRT than R/T price too. i personally like the SS, but it just seems like a forced product. And since the SS is a 14 model, the R/T and SRT with the 8 speed will be 14 models too, that is the most fair comparison.

That was a post on the SS at least
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #306
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Stew just likes to stew.

I wouldn't mind sporting the SS over the Charger, purely because of production volume.

I will admit, the Charger is a good looking car. But there's so many of them on the streets now after its role in Fast Five, that they're getting to be too common. And if Chevrolet holds to the proposed production volume, you're not going to see many SS Sedans around. And I think the SS Sedan will look great in the as-yet-seen production colors

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #307
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
I just noticed the spec sheet on Chevy's website:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...S_HeroCard.pdf
Not sure if this was posted but looks like there will be five colors: Heron White, Phantom Black, Red Hot 2, Silver Ice and ... Mystic Green
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #308
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
I just noticed the spec sheet on Chevy's website:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...S_HeroCard.pdf
Not sure if this was posted but looks like there will be five colors: Heron White, Phantom Black, Red Hot 2, Silver Ice and ... Mystic Green
Mystic green sounds interesting, want to see the black, especially if they offer a black wheel option like on the Camaro..