Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
jcamo

Drives: 2ss/rs/2013 camaro 1LE
lowering a factory 1LE

looking at bmr springs... , and was wondering if the 1.4 springs would work with out a rubbing issue with the factory tires a wheels 285/35/20,s
jcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
put -1.25 Pfadts on mine with 315s on the back and NO issues

not sure about the 1.4....especially when it settles
Old 09-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
jcamo

Hay thanks ...I thought that might be pushing it. I was wanting to see if anybody else has tryed it. these forums are great help. thanks again! bmr does not have the 1.2 only 1 or 1.4 and the Pfadts have the 1.2 you have but it only shows it on the 2012 models I guess there is no change for the 2013???

Last edited by jcamo; 09-26-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Are you lowering your 1LE to improve the look or for function?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamo View Post
looking at bmr springs... , and was wondering if the 1.4 springs would work with out a rubbing issue with the factory tires a wheels 285/35/20,s
You should be just fine as far as rubbing concerns go, but 1.4" is at or below the limit for how low you should go on stock struts. Looks will be improved, but handling and the life of your struts may decrease.

I'd recommend sticking with a 1" spring or 1.25 at the max in my opinion.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I have 1 inch hotchkis on my SS and I auto x alot. More then that and potential rubbing of tires in turns, shorter shock life and the ride goes away.Can go lower but you need coil overs.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
jcamo

lowering to close up the gaps between tire and fender and qrt. adding function would also be sweet , I guess that can be done on this car although it seems to handle far better than any I have driven already. sounds like 1 to 1.2 should be all I should go as I dont want to add problems to this car by getting a certain look but do want to shortin the gaps some. Thanks again( may just drop rear some to match front gap )guess that would not hurt.

Last edited by jcamo; 09-26-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Piccione Performance

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs & 2014 Stingray
The 1" Hotckis springs work awesome, and close up the gap without adversely affecting your strut and shock life.
For improved function you should upgrade the sway bars, the Hotchkis sways for the 1LE are 45% stiffer in the front and adjustable from 10% to 45% stiffer in the rear.

PM me for pricing.
Piccione Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
lowering to close up the gaps between tire and fender and qrt. adding function would also be sweet , I guess that can be done on this car although it seems to handle far better than any I have driven already. sounds like 1 to 1.2 should be all I should go as I dont want to add problems to this car by getting a certain look but do want to shortin the gaps some. Thanks again( may just drop rear some to match front gap )guess that would not hurt.
We take a very different approach to the 1LE. GM spent a lot of time and effort tuing the 1LE specific dampers and coils. We don't recommend lowering coils for the 1LE. We recommend PERMAGRIN (CAM4-1LE-STREET-PKG)

You will have Permagrin every time you drive your 1LE. The 1LE delivers as a great handling 5th Gen with rear end steer, soft on center steering feel and understeer when driven past 8/10ths. Replace the OE sub-frame and radius bushes to improve on center steering feel and the only rear end steering you’ll experience is controlled by your right foot. With Pedders 32mm Z style rear bar replacing the OE 28mm bar you’ll be driving at 11/10ths. You have a money back guarantee if you are not thrilled with your 1LE Permagrin upgrade.

Check around the 1LE section to see what other 1LE owners have to say about our 1LE Permagrin kit
Old 09-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #10
jcamo

PETE ....looks like the 1le can be made to handle a bit better with your grin package ..that is great but does nothing for the jacked up look that really stinks on this kool car.the more i read on this it looks like coil overs are the only way to go with this unit. WOW!! big bucks.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
PETE ....looks like the 1le can be made to handle a bit better with your grin package ..that is great but does nothing for the jacked up look that really stinks on this kool car.the more i read on this it looks like coil overs are the only way to go with this unit. WOW!! big bucks.
Not just any coilovers. Supercars if you track it. Xas will work well for the occasional HPDE, but for the more committed Permagrin plus Supercars are the ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I was stricken by a serious case of Track Fever ever since my maiden voyage to Thunderhill Raceway. The cure was to upgrade my machine with some new Pedders go-fast goodies...

Pedders Supercar Coilovers
32mm 1LE Rear Sway Bar
Radius Bushings
Sub-frame Bushings
Trailing Arm Toe Links

Pete worked closely with my local shop throughout the install and to ensure that they made the proper settings for the dampers. I gave it an aggressive track/street alignment with -2.2 degrees front camber, and -1.1 degrees rear. We dropped the front 1/2" and the rear 1", per Pete's recommendation. Although the set up was optimized for handling and not looks, the stance is fantastic- aggressive looking but not so low that it's impractical. No issues so far with speed bumps or driveways.

Other than the suspension upgrades and the Motul 600 high temp brake fluid, my 1LE is stock down to the Goodyear F1 G2's. Alright, enough of the boring details, do you want to hear about how it did on the track?

One word - Nirvana. Wow, did this car perform with such grace and balance. I drove both Saturday and Sunday at Buttonwillow Raceway, configuration 13 counter-clockwise. I ran in the high-intermediate group against a number of very fast cars, including a Z06, some M3's and a Porsche GT3 RS.

I have to say that the stock 1LE handles amazingly well, but if you'd like to get rid of that last bit of understeer at the limit, reduce dive and body roll, this set up is a bulls-eye. The spring rate is surprisingly soft and the dampers are very smooth. The car is easy to drive near the limit and comfortable to catch when you overdrive it.

By the second day, I was posting some of the fastest laps in my group, with a best of 2:05.79. Not bad for a 3,850 pound car on this technical track! I ended up playing tag with the GT3 RS, as we were pretty evenly matched most laps. However, the trophy went to the bowtie as my Camaro's fastest lap was a full second faster than the Porsche's best effort.

Here was one of my favorite laps, not my fastest but I had a lot of fun chasing down the Porsche and others...

The weekend was not without drama and some comedy, as I did have a couple of off-track excursions as you will see in final the picture below. That's my instructor behind me studying my line, I guess I couldn't take the pressure I had an absolute blast! I'm hoping to return to Buttonwillow again October 19 -20, hope some of you guys can join me.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=matt+missouri
Old 09-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
klyoun1

Drives: 1969 Camaro Yenko Tribute
Awesome post! I guess this really comes down to form or function...
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
I lowered my 1LE 1 inch to improve the nasty 4x4 look. I may have compromised the handling, although I can't tell because I don't auto-x my car. I think it handles very well still. I know dropspeed(Matt Jensen) lowered his an inch and hasn't seen any adverse effects at the track and was proven with timeslips.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
I lowered my 1LE 1 inch to improve the nasty 4x4 look. I may have compromised the handling, although I can't tell because I don't auto-x my car. I think it handles very well still. I know dropspeed(Matt Jensen) lowered his an inch and hasn't seen any adverse effects at the track and was proven with timeslips.
Matt only lowered the rear with Pedders 220033 coil. He wanted a more level stance to help control front end dive and overall car balance on track.