Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
Couldn't make it 1 block in this snow??

So I got my first taste of snow in the Camaro and I gotta say I'm pretty concerned.

This car is my daily driver and any time I let of the brake the tires spun and the back end spun out.

There's a hill out of my neighborhood and I couldn't make it up before I got stuck and had to turn around.

Anyone have any tips, I got quoted $1700 for a set of snowtires and seems how Delaware doesn't usually get this much snow, I'm hesitant to invest.

I picked up to 50 pound bags of kitty litter for some weight in trunk.

Any advice/tips??

Attached Images

Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
We have like 6" up here and my car is also my DD...I just haven't taken the car out yet but last year I was fine just def take it easy if you can't wait it out or use a diff car.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
Yup....WINTER TIRES are your friend!

The "all season" tires are no good once you get close to the freezing mark, and with snow definitely no good. Best thing to do if you don't want to buy winter tires, don't drive the car until the roads are clear of snow/slush.
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
Interesting, I just got this Camaro used a month ago and haven't checked the tires. I'm hoping it doesn't have summer tires on it. I had alot of trouble but perhaps some weight and just taking it slow will help.

Though, anything over 10mph resulted in a tailspin.

EDIT: I'm also considering buying a cheap jeep if I can find one under the price of winter tires ($2000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
We have like 6" up here and my car is also my DD...I just haven't taken the car out yet but last year I was fine just def take it easy if you can't wait it out or use a diff car.
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Snow tires or park it , I got a pretty good deal for rims and tires on tirerack . You wont believe the difference it makes .If you get the rims go down a inch ir 2 and width also
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
the roads here are pure ice including the freeway, If I avoid the hills I haven't had any problems with getting back and forth to work. and I'm on stock tires.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
If you still are using the factory Pirelli's, forget about it. You are not going anywhere with those summer only tires. They are called SUMMER tires for a reason.

You really only have two choices, 1) pay up for a set of tires 2) get a second car.

If you are only dealing with a couple inches you don't have to buy snow tires. You can buy a set of good all season tires that handle well in light snow. The General G-max tires handle very well up to 3-4 inches.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoskins76 View Post

The "all season" tires are no good once you get close to the freezing mark, and with snow definitely no good. Best thing to do if you don't want to buy winter tires, don't drive the car until the roads are clear of snow/slush.
Am I missing something ? As far as I know 'all season' tires are winter tires vs the summir tires
that come with the SS. I don't know about snow but my 'Toyo All Season tires' are exactly that,
and good below 40 degrees compaired to the factory summer only tires.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
snow tires will help, and you'll get 100 response's of "I drive my car 100 miles a day in 12 inches of snow no problem" but the truth is, a camaro isn't a very good car for snow. before I spent $1700 on tires I'd try to find a winter beater in that price range.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Quote:
The "all season" tires are no good once you get close to the freezing mark, and with snow definitely no good.
I disagree.

All Seasons are still very good in freezing temps, and even in a few inches of snow. Night and day difference compared to Summers. And Winters are even better if you go that route too but All Seasons are good all year road. I've had my Gmaxs on for almost 3 years and through every type of weather, no problems here
Old 12-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
snow tires will help, and you'll get 100 response's of "I drive my car 100 miles a day in 12 inches of snow no problem" but the truth is, a camaro isn't a very good car for snow. before I spent $1700 on tires I'd try to find a winter beater in that price range.
Why do you say this? I drive mine daily on blizzaks and we've had some crazy snow already, plus just had temps of -40 this past week. Car handles just fine in the snow, is actually a lot of fun. If you respect the power and rear wheel drive you'll be fine. It's people who drive in the snow on all season tires, 4x4s, SUVs and beater cars, driving too fast for the conditions that cause problems. We take my car out more than the mini van because I have better tires. This is my second winter driving it and when properly equipped, it's a blast to drive.
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Summer tires do not work in the snow.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_Rejected View Post
Interesting, I just got this Camaro used a month ago and haven't checked the tires. I'm hoping it doesn't have summer tires on it. I had alot of trouble but perhaps some weight and just taking it slow will help.

Though, anything over 10mph resulted in a tailspin.

EDIT: I'm also considering buying a cheap jeep if I can find one under the price of winter tires ($2000)
If the previous owners did not change the tires on your car, you have the Pirelli 0s. You may want to invest in another set of wheels. I bought an 04 cavalier for 2k almost 2 years ago. Works fine.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:

When I lived in Mich I have been using all seasons tire's for 40 years. I never had a major problem with them. I have General G-max as-03 on my dd Camaro now