Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Ask him what the official Nurburing time for his car is.

Via lightning from a large Hammer.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #16
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
You shouldn't need to "defend it." Now having said that the ZL1 has a lot of great things going for it, superior ride quality and handling due to the magnetically controlled dampers, heads up display is awesome (don't think the Shelby has that), Styling (granted that is subjective) superior track tuned aero. A comparably equipped GT500 cost several thousand more, you have to spec the track pack AND performance pack on the Shelby just to get the fluid coolers and the better shocks/track set up, ALL of which is standard equipment on the ZL1.

Skip to 2:30, the GT500 supposedly had a ton of mods, to my little 580 rwhp. Power isn't everything.. Ran him down pretty quickly.

Last edited by BaylorCamaro; 01-16-2015 at 02:26 PM.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #17
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Skip to 2:30, the GT500 supposedly had a ton of mods, to my little 580 rwhp. Power isn't everything.. Ran him down pretty quickly.

Wouldn't let you pass....what a prick...
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #18
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #19
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Tell him that we beat out the GT500 in all of the established car publications such as MT, Car and Driver, R &T, etc.

Other ZL attributes include trans. cooler, brake cooling, differential cooler, PTM and magnetically dampered suspension as standard equipment, whereas these components are options on the Ford (except for the magnetic shocks).

Talk about the higher lateral g. rating, impressive Nurburgring track time, wider tires.

Also, research the sticky threads on the boards, and look at other Internet sources on the ZL1 before going to battle with your friend. At the end of the day, we all are car people and just want to enjoy the car of our choice.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #20
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
I drove a GT500 - actually two - when I was looking for a performance toy. I drove a LOT of cars, actually, including the BMWs I was familiar with.

For the money, nothing made me want it unequivocally as much as the ZL1. The Mustang was fast, make no mistake. But it was also... what's the word I'm looking for? Unfriendly? To drive. I understand the Challenger Hellcat is similar in its constant need for discretion. The Charger is likely the better buy.

It's like driving Mr. Hyde all the damn time. Sometimes you want it to be Dr. Jekyll.

The ZL1 has that ability to change personality. I would 1,000% rather drive the ZL1 across country. I would 1,000% rather drive the ZL1 on a road course. I would 100% rather drive the Mustang at the drag strip.

I have no dog in the fight re: Mopar, Ford and Chevy. None. I came from imports. I still daily drive one. I feel like my opinion is a bit more subjective than some may be. If he has the car he wants, great. If you have the car you want, great. They don't have to be the same car. It's not about penis length.

Ask him why he's not in a Hellcat if numbers are so important to him. Also, sign up for a day at the road course and invite him along. Car guys who track together become good friends most of the time. I miss the peeps I tracked with in Detroit.

EDIT: If you do go to the strip, be sure to use no lift shifting. It'll give you a bit of an edge.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #21
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman's ZL1 View Post
Well Hello to all you awesome Camaro owners out there. I am new to this forum and to owning one of the greatest cars ever built, a Camaro. I am blessed enough to have recently been able to buy my dream car... a 2014 Chevy ZL1 Fully-Loaded with all available options [check out my garage pictures] . I purchased it with 10 miles on it right off the showroom floor. Funny Story, I told myself that if I was ever able to buy a "muscle car" I would buy a Manual transmission. (even though I had never learned how to drive stick) So when I ended up buying the car, my co-worker had to drive it home for me (approx. 400 miles) and it sat in my garage for 3 weeks while I took lessons to learn how to drive stick.

Anyways, this Co-worker is a good guy, he helped me learn how to drive a stick and how to take care of a premium vehicle. However, since he has a 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500 with added mods that give it about a 700+ HP, he constantly gives me a hard time about my car being 'slow'. I love my car and have no regrets, but I'm not a car guy yet. I'm still learning.

Could you real car guys (and girls) out there give me some positive info about ZL1's/Chevy's that I could use to DEFEND my Camaro ZL1 and the Chevy brand name in general against his Ford and his "musty-thang"??
there are three way's to deal with this personality.

1. humor say the following. eventully they ussually shut there face hole.

well it is a fine line between driving a fast womens car and slow mans car. you kind of how to pick which makes you feel more happy.

2. ignor them as they usually are competative and nothig you say will matter.

3. mod you car and whip is ass. if has not done chassis mods he is still a 10 second car. either of these car can run 10's all day long with the right mods.

my .02 is just say I like my car I don't give two shits what you think but I have never cared what other people think. if I want my car faster I make it faster if I am happy with it I "drive" it. done deal.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #22
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
You shouldn't need to "defend it." Now having said that the ZL1 has a lot of great things going for it, superior ride quality and handling due to the magnetically controlled dampers, heads up display is awesome (don't think the Shelby has that), Styling (granted that is subjective) superior track tuned aero. A comparably equipped GT500 cost several thousand more, you have to spec the track pack AND performance pack on the Shelby just to get the fluid coolers and the better shocks/track set up, ALL of which is standard equipment on the ZL1.

Great vid you gotta show him that should cool his pony down lol
great vid again!
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:29 PM   #23
pktrusty

Drives: 2013 ZL1- 850 JDP
It is like talking to a Hellcat owner about which is a "Better" car. I have been to the road course track 3-4 times now and never ran into any model of a Dodge/Fiat. They maybe quick in a straight line but they would get man handled on a road course.

The GT 500 is no different, in the video below they actually had to stop testing a super snake because the brakes failed. Handling is top notch in a ZL1. May concede some things stock at the drag strip but in my opinion, all around a better car. The transmission isn't as smooth either according to reviews I have read.

Tell him you have always been a fan of mustangs since the girl down the street bought one.
pktrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #24
Dutchman427

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1329 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post

As stated before in another thread. We are in America. These muscle cars are judged by how they perform on the street and the 1/4, not a road course. Don't let anybody tell you different. Yes we are behind in that department, but the ZL1 is still a great car and a great platform for modding.
2012 Camaro ZL1 #1329 M6 Summit White
Built by Mike @ Rapid Motorsports
784rwhp 757 rwtq on 93 Octane ET - 10.97 @ 128
Heads-Blower-Snout-TB ported & prepared by Jeremy Formato of FasterProms
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395950

Rapid Motorsports 396ci Build
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...1#post10321301
10.832 @ 130.99
Dutchman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #25
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Ask him to go with you to a local solo event so you can compare times. Oh then take pics of all those orange cone marks on the front and sides of is car..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #26
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman427 View Post
As stated before in another thread. We are in America. These muscle cars are judged by how they perform on the street and the 1/4, not a road course. Don't let anybody tell you different. Yes we are behind in that department, but the ZL1 is still a great car and a great platform for modding.
If that was true why do they take all the new cars to VIR, the Ring, Laguna Seca etc., and I believe the Z28 is intended for the track. Times change.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #27
Dutchman427

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1329 M6
Times have not changed. Why do you think the new C7 Z06 is getting ragged on so much? It is not performing on the street as well as the 1/4 mile like people expected. I believe the car did pretty well on the road course but do you see guys posting videos of that? No you see videos of the car getting walked the majority of the time. It is unfortunate, but that is how these cars are judged. Most cannot relate to road racing.
2012 Camaro ZL1 #1329 M6 Summit White
Built by Mike @ Rapid Motorsports
784rwhp 757 rwtq on 93 Octane ET - 10.97 @ 128
Heads-Blower-Snout-TB ported & prepared by Jeremy Formato of FasterProms
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395950

Rapid Motorsports 396ci Build
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...1#post10321301
10.832 @ 130.99
Dutchman427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #28
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
No need to defend it. A real car guy appreciates many different cars with various levels of performance and abilities. The ZL1 is a well rounded car and does many things well. No need to fall for the mine is better than yours bait, that is a complete waste of time.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote