Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #1
TobysZL1

Drives: ZL1 Gone but not Forgotten!
×××UPDATED×××Noise /whistling sound

Okay I had my 2013 supercharger replaced last summer for the rattling /marbling sound. It was about 3000 miles ago that this work was done. My car currently has 7800 miles on it. Recently upon getting my car out of Winter storage I started to notice what Sounds like a high pitch whistling noise in each gear. It seems most dominant at the 2500-4k rpm range and gears 1-3. Although high pitch it's not very loud but it's enough to annoy me. The sound can Also be described as like a wind type air whistle or a generic supercharger whine. I called my tuner and he told me that it could be the new supercharger that was replaced, he said a batch of them had noisy bearings in them and they had to be swapped out again (first I've heard of this). Another person said it could be something as little as the supercharger belt slipping and needing a belt replacement.

I'm starting this thread for the experts out there who might have some insight to what this is. I Also am bringing the car to my local dealership on Monday Where they replaced the charger the first time to see if in fact that is the issue. I have a guy there who only works on Camaros and Corvettes and is phenomenal at what he does and meticulous. So I will keep this thread posted for people who may develop the same symptoms as I have.
I would like to Also tell you that last fall I Did have a power package put in my car but it only consisted of a 10 percent lower pulley, Id850 injectors, rotofab, ati damper, and tune. I didn't notice anything of a noise after driving it after this was installed and before I put it away for the winter, so I'm thinking this has nothing to do with the problem but not sure.??. I was also thinking that maybe it is in fact just the supercharger and whine I'm hearing now because with the 10 percent lower I am spinning the blower a lot harder /more.??
I would love to get some ideas guys, Thanks....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by TobysZL1; 07-01-2015 at 06:11 PM.
TobysZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:56 AM   #2
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Air whistle and sc whine are different, I think. My car is stock except roto fab cai. I have stock SC and I hear an air whistle. I started to notice it recently and have been wondering what it is.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Not enough info, maybe post a video of the sound. If the whine is consistent about 1000 check the serpentine belt, they can make quite the whine if a pebble or small object gets embedded under the belt. Quick check pop the belt.. If the noise is gone run a small,screw driver down the belt grooves underneath to find the culprit .
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Not enough info, maybe post a video of the sound. If the whine is consistent about 1000 check the serpentine belt, they can make quite the whine if a pebble or small object gets embedded under the belt. Quick check pop the belt.. If the noise is gone run a small,screw driver down the belt grooves underneath to find the culprit .
I appreciate It man but to get an accurate video of this and to pick up the noise so you can hear it I think I would need some high tec equipment.
Decent idea on the pebble. I'll check that out. But don't I need a tool to pop it off in the first place? And I think the car has to be under load for it to experience the noise , so not sure I would be able to hear it gone once the belt is off...
Is it even safe to start the car without the serpentine belt?

Old 05-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
djnice

You can remove the belt with a 1/2" drive socket wrench. There is a spring loaded idler that you use the wrench to relive pressure from the belt.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
TobysZL1

Cool Thanks....
Going to do that later tonight.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
djnice

The owners manual shows the belt routing in case you forget after taking it off.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobysZL1 View Post
Cool Thanks....
Going to do that later tonight.
If you need something other than a video from your phone to hear the whine, I doubt it's a trapped pebble. Removing the belt will let you know if its the supercharger for a quick test, so still worth doing..
Old 05-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #9
TobysZL1

Quote:
If you need something other than a video from your phone to hear the whine, I doubt it's a trapped pebble. Removing the belt will let you know if its the supercharger for a quick test, so still worth doing..
Can I start the car without the belt on it though?

Old 05-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
Travis104

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I had a high pitch whistle noise as well, and the coupled on my CAI wasn't on all the way. Not sure if you have an intake or not, but may be worth checking.
Travis104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:45 PM   #11
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis104 View Post
I had a high pitch whistle noise as well, and the coupled on my CAI wasn't on all the way. Not sure if you have an intake or not, but may be worth checking.
Hmmm..I do have a rotofab and it is like a whistling air noise... going to go check.. Thanks

Old 05-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #12
TobysZL1

All right quick update.
I went out to the car and the noise starts right at 2k rpm's in place while idling. It does not need to be driven. It is a high pitch whistling and I do believe it's coming from the supercharger or possibly the belt. I hope it's just the belt but I'm leaning the other way unfortunately.
For the guy who suggested the intake coupler, Thank you but that's definitely not my problem, the whole intake is tighten great.
I'm going to go get in it now and try to grab a video for you car doctors out there.... should have it posted with in the hour.
Thanks

Old 05-31-2015, 07:51 PM   #13
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobysZL1 View Post
Can I start the car without the belt on it though?

Yes you can.. Just don' get carried away with the pedal, like WOT. If it is something jammed in the belt track unless its really big you wont hear it very easily from inside because after 2000 RPM the engine drive train will drown it out, but reving from under the hood you will know it right away..

Best of luck, but you will eventually find it..
Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
TobysZL1

Quote:
Yes you can.. Just don' get carried away with the pedal, like WOT. If it is something jammed in the belt track unless its really big you wont hear it very easily from inside because after 2000 RPM the engine drive train will drown it out, but reving from under the hood you will know it right away..

Best of luck, but you will eventually find it..
Stay tuned man getting a video posted up here in a few minutes.. would love to know your opinion.
Thanks.