Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-22-2011, 04:41 AM   #43
egp

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Definately get the splash guards if you drive your Camaro. Mine have greatly reduced the number of chips I have gotten since installing them early on in ownership. I think they look great! Mine is a daily driver with 23k+ miles on her & still looking good!
greenmail, Great looking car at the 23k+ mile marker!

However, unless you are driving the same roads as the OP, you really don't have any proof that the splash guards are responsible for reducing chips. You don't have any chips, but that may be due to your driving style and local road conditions. You need a experimental control, to come to a definitive conclusion. You should buy a second camaro and hire an unemployed teenager to follow you on all trips to verify your splash guard theory!

I have around 2000 miles, and don't have a single chip (yet) or splash guards/clear bra, whereas people with 1500 miles are complaining of lots of chips. Why?

Also, over my 31 years of driving, I having seen plenty of gravel projectiles on the highway (as well as pile-ups due to who knows what), so I'm really careful about tailgating and try to stay back at least 3 seconds (which is HUGE), and even further back when there are construction vehicles ahead of me (which are notorious for leaking gravel and debris). This hopefully helps with the front end chips.
egp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #44
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
I had a 2500 silverado that had zero chips in 3 years, because its up off the ground. These cars are very low and this is what happens. I have 30,000 miles on my car and have some small chips along the front part of the bumper..its gonna happen, when you get behind someone or go past a car or a truck thikngs will get thrown. At least the front bumper is one piece. Thake it off and get it repainted if you want down the road.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #45
scruffyluv
CB5thGEN

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS BRM 1LE, 05 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post
No you can't. Actually the GFX should do the job and protect the gills area.
I discovred rock chips in my front gfx over the weekend.. the state is tearing up the interstate that I use to go back and forth to work on... as long as the chips stay off the body, then I guess I am okay with the gfx's taking the brunt of the chips! still ouch......
scruffyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #46
BlueDragonVT

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
I solved this problem. I drive the shit out of my car. Now it has way more miles than chips. What are you saving it for, the next owner?
Ha, what next owner? I have no plans to get rid of my car!

Thanks for all the support, guys. I really appreciate all the sympathetic comments on here. Hopefully with enough of these threads, and enough of this sentiment in the marketplace, GM will work on this issue for future vehicles, or the paint manufacturer will work on it, or something. I work hard to try to get my baby looking good, and I just want to make sure she stays that way.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #47
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
I solved this problem. I drive the shit out of my car. Now it has way more miles than chips. What are you saving it for, the next owner?
Good point! Low miles means very little come trade-in time, so why save it for the next guy?
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #48
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
Good point! Low miles means very little come trade-in time, so why save it for the next guy?
That's what I've always said: A new Camaro is a terrable thing to waste.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #49
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
This isn't a GM problem only. My Accord's front end looks like it was sand blasted. It is 6 years old, but the front end looked bad after 6 months. I hate to polish it because the polish/wax gets into all the nicks and makes them stand out even more. There's nothing I can do about it though. The section of interstate where I live has a lot of truck traffic that leaves debris on the road, which is responsible for the majority of my chips. The front bumper would need replacement if I have the hood and bumper painted since the chips are into the plastic.

I asked the body shop owner about using a thicker paint and he said that won't work, since the paint can only be so thick to avoid cracking.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #50
Toastylicious
My car goes Vrooom.. You?

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro LS
I feel like putting a clear bra on my whole car...

Upgrades - Self Installed
------------
Zl1 Front Bumper Kit
EBC Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/ EBC Pads
Dual Rockford Fosgate P3D4 Subs powered by a 2000 Watt Hifonics amp and a Soundstream 8 Farad Tarantula Cap
Eibach 1.5 In Drop Springs
Camaro Badging Delete
Blacked Out Tail Lights And Bezels
Resonator Delete
Oil Catch Can
Injen Intake
Rally Stripes
AAC Oracle Halos
MRT v1.0 Exhaust
20x9 and 20x10 Black OEM Wheels
Black Spoiler
Yellow Painted Calipers