Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #57
S8ER01Z

Drives: Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post

Guys don't kid yourself, the Jeeps have top end too I had my stock one to 150mph on a closed course and it was still pulling...
I don't think anyone is kidding themselves... they have decent top end but in stock form you can't argue the topend isn't going to be the same as what most of us are dealing with stock. Going from a roll with a stock Jeep is going to be a complete 180 compared to racing one from a dig.

Dig race - Jeep owns me through the 1/8th (2.0~2.1 60fts on my part and mid 8s in the 1/8th)... I start catching up... if i am lucky I catch him...99% of the time I will be just too far behind to make up the gap.

From a roll... I am not starting from behind and the jeeps large frontal area takes it's toll... I would guess the jeep holds even for a short period before I start to creep away. (this is reflected in trap speeds... stock SRT8 Jeep ~104mph trap, my car stock 108mph trap).

Very potent from a roll but simple deadly from a dig.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #58
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
First, to all my Camaro breatheren who think that the Camaro is the sickest fasted car ever..... please......get real.

Every car has its advantages and disadvantages. Obviously, if your buying a Camaro or SRT Jeep speed and acceleration were important factors in your purchase. Numbers wise they are close but I think the SRT has the slight advantage. I also think the SRT has more wiggle room for mistakes as a driver because of the AWD. I agree with someones earlier post that 9 out of 10 times the SRT would win stock vs stock.

I bought my car because...of course....I love the way it looks more than anything. That was my most important factor.

Second, 426 horse with 20+ miles to the gallon. I use my car as my daily driver.

Third, if the weather is bad I take my Tahoe to work so having an AWD Camaro was not a factor (although I'd love to see that.)

In any event though, the SRT guys can talk all the shit they want and I hate to say this but they have every right to. I'm just glad the SRT is american. Let then slap around some Porche SUVs.

I just can't get over the ridiculously horrendous gas mileage of the SRT though. With the driving I do that Jeep would cost me another $500 in gas a month. So the way I see it, my Camaro is basically free since thats my monthly payment....LOL.
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #59
missionbrent
Bringing the Sexy Back

Drives: 73GMC/05Jeep/07Cobalt/Ninja
I can't agree with the assessment that the Jeep would win 9 out of 10 times. If you have a manual or automatic SS you should be able to beat the Jeep unless YOU lose the race, not the car. In 06' R&T and MT ran a 13.2 and 13.5 in the 1/4 mile with it. Edmunds got a 13.49. Japolink 13.5 1/4. Car Platform 13.2 1/4 mile. Edmonds also tested a 07 at 13.2 in the 1/4. These are with people who do these tests for a living and regular guys on this forum can best those times at will with the SS and the cars have only been out six months. I think junkie ran a 12.87 on a bone stock car that hadn't even been broken in. I have seen people who claim they have seen bone stock SRT8s run as low as 12.97 at the track, but again people on this forum have run faster than that with both the auto and manual. If you go by the verified testing number from the car rags the Camaro is also as fast as or faster in the 0-60. ALSO you have to remember almost no ones Camaro is broken in yet. A lot of these really fast Jeep times are coming with broken in Jeeps.

For the person who said the Camaro wouldn't walk on the Jeep around the corners should lay off the crack. Skid pad numbers aren't the only thing you need to look at. The Camaro would get out of the corners much quicker and can take them with more speed due to the fact that it weighs 1000lbs less. .8G in a Jeep is going slower than the same .8G Camaro due to the extra weight the Jeep is hauling around (need to look at slalom and lane change speeds, not just skidpad G). Thats why in two seperate tests they pulled the same Gs but the Camaro was something like 5mph faster in the slalom and I beleive the lane change gap is even greater. There is also this little thing called braking which the Camaro does faster.

The Jeep SRT8s are cool, but to go back to the OPs question, yes you should be able to take a stock SRT8 Jeep with a brand new Camaro SS, let alone one that is broken in. This goes for the drag strip and the track.

Last edited by missionbrent; 09-17-2009 at 10:20 PM.
missionbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #60
S8ER01Z

Drives: Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionbrent View Post
I can't agree with the assessment that the Jeep would win 9 out of 10 times. If you have a manual or automatic SS you should be able to beat the Jeep unless YOU lose the race, not the car. In 06' R&T and MT ran a 13.2 and 13.5 in the 1/4 mile with it. Edmunds got a 13.49. Japolink 13.5 1/4. Car Platform 13.2 1/4 mile. Edmonds also tested a 07 at 13.2 in the 1/4. These are with people who do these tests for a living and regular guys on this forum can best those times at will with the SS and the cars have only been out six months. I think junkie ran a 12.87 on a bone stock car that hadn't even been broken in. I have seen people who claim they have seen bone stock SRT8s run as low as 12.97 at the track, but again people on this forum have run faster than that with both the auto and manual. If you go by the verified testing number from the car rags the Camaro is also as fast as or faster in the 0-60. ALSO you have to remember almost no ones Camaro is broken in yet. A lot of these really fast Jeep times are coming with broken in Jeeps.
Please step away from your computer and take your car to the nearest drag strip...when you return (humbled with a mid 13 pass if you're lucky) you can resume posting again. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #61
Ltespd

Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
It will feel slower but wait till around 2500 miles and line em' up.
I agree. I did my 1st oil change at 1500 miles. But at 2500 miles the car seemed to really wake up. Its definitely faster.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #62
Red Hot SS

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS/RS M6
Damn that SRT is a bullet off the line. AWD is the difference maker I guess

VIN: 2G1FT1EW8A9118043
Finally Home! (6/16)
Red Hot SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #63
LSXgirl

Drives: turbo'd 4 banger
They are pretty quick, I would love to own one.
LSXgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #64
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

For the person who said the Camaro wouldn't walk on the Jeep around the corners should lay off the crack. Skid pad numbers aren't the only thing you need to look at. The Camaro would get out of the corners much quicker and can take them with more speed due to the fact that it weighs 1000lbs less. .8G in a Jeep is going slower than the same .8G Camaro due to the extra weight the Jeep is hauling around (need to look at slalom and lane change speeds, not just skidpad G). Thats why in two seperate tests they pulled the same Gs but the Camaro was something like 5mph faster in the slalom and I beleive the lane change gap is even greater. There is also this little thing called braking which the Camaro does faster.

The Jeep SRT8s are cool, but to go back to the OPs question, yes you should be able to take a stock SRT8 Jeep with a brand new Camaro SS, let alone one that is broken in. This goes for the drag strip and the track.
Comparing a magazine time to a great driver isn't fair at all. Mags to mags, owners to owners. And plenty of Camaro's have been broken in, they've been building them for more than 6 months now. What hasn't happened yet is numerous runs in cool, dry air. Those should be coming real soon though.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #65
BlackCamaroSS
Old school SS, junior

Drives: Many; all Chevrolet
There's always something faster. I have no problem if the Jeep is faster than the Camaro. That's fine, there's something faster than the Jeep, too.

Ultimately, there is no comparison between an SS Camaro and a station wagon, regardless of which one is faster...
BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #66
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCamaroSS View Post
There's always something faster. I have no problem if the Jeep is faster than the Camaro. That's fine, there's something faster than the Jeep, too.

Ultimately, there is no comparison between an SS Camaro and a station wagon, regardless of which one is faster...
I agree, but not for the reason you think. If they aren't already, Camaros will be a dime a dozen at the strip. I personally find it a lot more fun to watch an SUV such as the SRT-8 or the crazy codger who put a big block in his 80 Malibu wagon flying down the strip at break neck speeds. Of course I am a big fan of sleepers
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #67
missionbrent
Bringing the Sexy Back

Drives: 73GMC/05Jeep/07Cobalt/Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
Please step away from your computer and take your car to the nearest drag strip...when you return (humbled with a mid 13 pass if you're lucky) you can resume posting again. Thanks.
I've been around drag racing most of my life. My father and I built the worlds fastest Turbo 400 car for Diamond Auto in GR, MI. I have ran Camaros, Mustangs, bikes, some vettes, and even my 73 GMC 4X4. Maybe you didn't read the post either as all the Jeep's Mag times are with drivers who drive for a living, so their times would be inflated as well. Nice try being condescending though I guess to many slower than expected 1/4 times have made you bitter, oh and Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Comparing a magazine time to a great driver isn't fair at all. Mags to mags, owners to owners. And plenty of Camaro's have been broken in, they've been building them for more than 6 months now. What hasn't happened yet is numerous runs in cool, dry air. Those should be coming real soon though.
The times I listed from people in this forum were with cars that weren't broken in yet, and when you compare mags to mags and drivers to drivers the Camaro comes out on top. I own a Jeep so there is no bias (probably even less since most of the posters on this thread don't own jeeps). Nice point with the air temp an humidity though. The car has only been out 6 months and I have already seen a timeslip of 12.87 I beleive. That's only going to get better.

Last edited by missionbrent; 09-19-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added an extra reply
missionbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #68
NYCSRTATE

Drives: Future ZL1 or CTS V Owner
I have seen a Jeep SRT8 run 12.7 bone stock right after my 12.5 at the time with just headers and the stock tune.

Light to light the Camaro, Charger or any other SRT will not take it, my best 0-60 in my Jeep SRT8 was 3.6 second. Heck vettes have a hard time light to light. Now once we get rolling and get to third gear its over.

Real time stats here all witnessed by myself, heck I was driving most of the time.
NYCSRTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #69
Ltespd

Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSRTATE View Post
I have seen a Jeep SRT8 run 12.7 bone stock
That time is probably true. But it would be extremely rare. I do like the SRT Jeep. I think they're cool.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #70
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
I don't think anyone is kidding themselves... they have decent top end but in stock form you can't argue the topend isn't going to be the same as what most of us are dealing with stock. Going from a roll with a stock Jeep is going to be a complete 180 compared to racing one from a dig.

Dig race - Jeep owns me through the 1/8th (2.0~2.1 60fts on my part and mid 8s in the 1/8th)... I start catching up... if i am lucky I catch him...99% of the time I will be just too far behind to make up the gap.

From a roll... I am not starting from behind and the jeeps large frontal area takes it's toll... I would guess the jeep holds even for a short period before I start to creep away. (this is reflected in trap speeds... stock SRT8 Jeep ~104mph trap, my car stock 108mph trap).

Very potent from a roll but simple deadly from a dig.
damn ive missed alot...i like you, you keep it real...lol

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltespd View Post
That time is probably true. But it would be extremely rare. I do like the SRT Jeep. I think they're cool.

there have been numerous stock jeep and lx's(chargers,300,magnums) that have run in the 12.5-12.8 range. And even some lx's that took out some weight that have run in 11.8-12.5 range. one thing you have to remember even though our cars have been out since 2005 there are probably more camaros sold in the last 6 months then us in the last 4 years,therefore theres going to be a bunch more camaros hitting the track then us srt's. im not here to stir up $hit.our platforms i would say are a pretty good match up stock for stock but its the aftermarket where we just cant compete with you guys! yall have endless possibilities when it comes to modding. for example we dont even have an aftermarket intake yet! NO valvetrain upgrades besides just springs so were limited on the cams that we can run. we have DiabloSport for tuning but it leaves alot to be desired,nowhere near as advanced as HP tuners or EFI live!...i am thankful for what we do have though,its going to take time for us to get anywhere near the aftermarket options that yall have. and even though were limited on tuning and mods we still have 45-4700 lb daily driven station wagon (magnum) running 9.8's@140,which i predict will be very low 9's in the coming months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
cant wait for the winter time!..im expecting some 10's from my cam only/n20 charger! fingers crossed!
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote