Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #15
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Turbo or supercharge kits will get you there no trouble. And you can still daily it. You wouldn't even need a cam with some of them.
This, 100%^^^.

If money isn't an issue this is exactly the way I would go. I absolutely love my cammed build, but I would likely do things differently if I had the money. But wouldn't we all?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #16
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDun34 View Post
Thank you all for the help! I really do appreciate it because as you all are telling me different scenarios I am learning a bit more and more with each response. However after looking through all of the responses so far I think I want to change my desire till about 450+ hp to the wheels while being NA. Solely because I am still new to this amount of HP as is, so I believe 450+ is more reasonable for me. So if anyone has any tips or set ups where I could reach this goal please let me know. This will still be used sort of as a daily, PS - could you list the mods in order to prevent any unnecessary damage
Follow my build thread and you will get there no problem all motor
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:49 PM   #17
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDun34 View Post
Thank you all for the help! I really do appreciate it because as you all are telling me different scenarios I am learning a bit more and more with each response. However after looking through all of the responses so far I think I want to change my desire till about 450+ hp to the wheels while being NA. Solely because I am still new to this amount of HP as is, so I believe 450+ is more reasonable for me. So if anyone has any tips or set ups where I could reach this goal please let me know. This will still be used sort of as a daily, PS - could you list the mods in order to prevent any unnecessary damage
Cold air intake
1 7/8th long tube headers (with ot without high flow cats)
Cat back exhaust with x pipe
Cam
Tune and should be there

If you want I would get a gpi rod mod intake (very affordable if you send them your old one)
Ported throttle body - better throttle response
Also would add a catch can they are worth there money in gold
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #18
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Cold air intake
1 7/8th long tube headers (with ot without high flow cats)
Cat back exhaust with x pipe
Cam
Tune and should be there

If you want I would get a gpi rod mod intake (very affordable if you send them your old one)
Ported throttle body - better throttle response
Also would add a catch can they are worth there money in gold
Solid advice
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #19
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
You should check out my thread (another gpi SS1 cam). I just made 438rwhp with the mods mentioned by bigdumogre and I don't know what I would do without traction control. I think you can get to 450 easy with my mods and a intake and throttle body.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #20
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
to mod or not to mod

I made a basic decision tree because modifications come at costs. They can make it less reliable, void warrantees and lose not only the $ to mod but even decrease your car's resale value than if you left it alone. The shop doing the work might have unskilled employees that cause the tune or physical assembly to ruin your entire engine. They normally won't pay to fix their mistakes either in the real world. Up to and including they might total your car or total the engine or drivetrain joyriding your car as they have it in the shop and not pay you back a penny.
There are mods that are more and less risky for example new $$ wheels and tires are less likely to be improperly done, however you might come out to your car and find it sitting on the ground without those new wheels someday too. Think it through and enjoy the modifications without regrets, which could mean zero mods or a different vehicle. BTW my cars generally have few mods, the Camaro I have arount $6500 in mods and I don't regret them.
Attached Images

silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #21
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Not being a smart ass. I just really want to know why hp becomes such a major goal?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #22
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Some people focus on hp for some reason. My goal was getting into the 10's at the track. Whatever hp gets me there is fine with me.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #23
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
It is a major talking point with the younger hot rod crowd. I hear about 1000hp 2J motors all the time, but you just have to take it with a grain of salt. People equate hp to a performance level. Most are not well informed enough to realize there is a lot more to going fast than making lots of power. I had friend in the 80s who had a 9 second 600+ hp car. Today if you said that, many people would not believe that 600hp would get you deep in the 9s because they see all these 1000+ hp cars on YouTube that are barely in the 9s if not running 10s.

Road racing is a lot more about suspension and brakes, but you never hear about that outside that circle because people don't take 1G+ corners on the street.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #24
Bigdumogre

Everyone likes to brag about HP because when you have a lot it’s nice to brag for some. I care about performance over everything else. High hp is just a bonus if that’s what it takes. I just watched a video this morning of a 480hp civic pulling lengths on hellcats, vettes, ctsv and so on.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #25
Axe55

Whatever you're going to improve, you have to measure it somehow. For engine mods you've got hp and torque, for suspension you've got the G-force skid tests, for traction you've got 60' times at the strip I suppose. hp and torque are the best for measuring how much more power you've got after an engine mod, if you start with a baseline dyno.

There's also the butt dyno, we all want to grin when we hit the throttle.

Lots of good advice here to get you where you want to go. LT headers will make your car louder, a cam and exhaust will also change how it sounds, so consider the sound factor along with the hp improvement when you're choosing those. Lots of sound clips on here of both if you dig a little.

If you want to avoid wheel hop which can damage stuff, toe rods, trailing arms and cradle bushings (inserts at least) will help with that and they're not too expensive or hard to install. That'll help you enjoy the power too.
2012 Camaro SS LS3, JRE Scoop, CAI intake, Whipple Supercharger, Fast 85lb injectors, ZL1 pump, McLeod RXT clutch, MGW shifter, Stainless Power 1 7/8 headers w/HFC, Ridetech coilovers, BMR sway bars, trailing arms, toe rods, cradle bushing inserts, 2020 Speed Tuned.
Axe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #26
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I wanted my SS to be a little faster than the stock one. Just look at my Mods below. I spent like $10K to get where I am now. It also drives like a daily driver. I did all the work myself, which makes it a lot cheaper.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #27
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
LSA swap is a relatively easy project that has plenty of threads and a great how to by one of our members here. I think it is the cheapest blower you can do and it is a direct fit with plenty of kits to convert all of your supporting systems.

I haven’t proven my numbers but I am pretty sure I have at least 550 rwhp. Problem is more is never enough. You are opening Pandora’s box. I personally don’t chase HP to brag about it, in my circle everyone thinks I am crazy and doesn’t want to hear about my car. I do it because it makes me smile when I blow someone’s doors off, and I like turning wrenches.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #28
Aldrichdrake

Drives: 2012 Chevy ss Camaro
it would probably be cheaper and more reliable to just get a zl1
Aldrichdrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ss, 5thgen, build thread, ls3 5thgen