Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
CHRI55
Streetkingz_chri55

Drives: 2012 2ss/rs
Transmission hotter after cooler installed

I guess its safe to say that even after a transmission cooler.. this mofo is shot🙄🙄🙄....

Back story

Transmission ran so hot that the car told me it was hot so I parked it for 3 months while it was getting painted... installed a Transmission cooler and the heat is still rising... usually never sees 200 on just crusing... its about 75 or 80 degrees wow taking these

It usually sits around 180 cruising but the last 2 days which is after I installed the cooler it gets to the line between 180 and 320... it shifts prefect. No flair or anything. only problem is let's say I'm at the light.. its idling high. Like around 900 950 1000.. and when I let off the gas it takes off quicker then normal, and about 2 feet into the roll it act like it downshifts.. but doesn't because I tried with the paddle shifter as well, then acts normal....

Plan so far is to take it get it checked and flushed.. then go from there. Any ideas
CHRI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Might be worth it to trouble shoot the temp sensor.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I dont know how accurate those gauges are but when I look at my transmission temp on my aeroforce gauge it's like 20 degrees cooler.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
If you put the cooler on the output side lof the rad (to trans), then to the trans, you should
not be seeing hotter temps. When you use JUST the cooler, temps will spike at idle. The trans
lines run to the rad, then out of the rad, to the cooler. I always install a cooler after the rad,
and temps stayed in the 175 area. The rad portion stabilizes the temperature, then the cooler
after will reduce temps. If you use a stand alone, it has to be at least 3/4 of, or the whole length
across the front of the radiator (usally in between condenser and rad) least 5a " tall assembly.

EXAMPLE:

Bottom is an OEM cooler, LONG, spans the width of the rad, about 5" tall.

Bottom, same width, and a lot taller, aftermarket cooler.

Something like THIS, will not work as a stand-alone:

OR

THOSE are "After" the rad aux coolers.

When mine got into the 260 degree range, it shifted harshly, and sloppy. So, you're
lucky if yours acted normal on temperatures that high, or higher. I had a coolant
issue, everything was getting too hot because the rad cap was bad.

I use after the rad AUX coolers, and as I said, and temps stay under 180 cruising.
My mustang, with the stand-alone factory cooler, 173 degrees cruising. will get
to 190+ at idle. It doesn't have a rad cooler in it, they come with that long
stand-alone cooler.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
CHRI55
Streetkingz_chri55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Might be worth it to trouble shoot the temp sensor.

How do I go by doing that
Old 08-12-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
CHRI55
Streetkingz_chri55

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
If you put the cooler on the output side lof the rad (to trans), then to the trans, you should
not be seeing hotter temps. When you use JUST the cooler, temps will spike at idle. The trans
lines run to the rad, then out of the rad, to the cooler. I always install a cooler after the rad,
and temps stayed in the 175 area. The rad portion stabilizes the temperature, then the cooler
after will reduce temps. If you use a stand alone, it has to be at least 3/4 of, or the whole length
across the front of the radiator (usally in between condenser and rad) least 5a " tall assembly.

EXAMPLE:

Bottom is an OEM cooler, LONG, spans the width of the rad, about 5" tall.

Bottom, same width, and a lot taller, aftermarket cooler.

Something like THIS, will not work as a stand-alone:

OR

THOSE are "After" the rad aux coolers.

When mine got into the 260 degree range, it shifted harshly, and sloppy. So, you're
lucky if yours acted normal on temperatures that high, or higher. I had a coolant
issue, everything was getting too hot because the rad cap was bad.

I use after the rad AUX coolers, and as I said, and temps stay under 180 cruising.
My mustang, with the stand-alone factory cooler, 173 degrees cruising. will get
to 190+ at idle. It doesn't have a rad cooler in it, they come with that long
stand-alone cooler.

I went with the trucool 40k.. still running the oem rad as well.. so it run though the rad.. to the cooler then back