Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
m5miler

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
reputable tuning companies

Hey guys,

In a month or so when my parents move into their new house my dad is giving me his 2011 Camaro SS. Its an LS3 and I love the way it drives. Currently drive a bolt on '06 mustang gt 5spd (intake/brenspeed tune/steeda UDP's/pypes muffler deletes/roush lowering springs). Great car and love the power. I'm selling the mustang and will be putting the money I make from it into paying off the remainder of my dads car. I'm unfamiliar with the Camaro tuning companies and wanted to get some input from everybody on who I really need to look into. I'll do all my research but I really just want a heads up on who's tunes are the most reputable. I'm here in Waco, TX working for FOX44 so I'm right in between Dallas and Austin which isn't a terrible commute by any means, and I'm from Houston so if any of you know of any companies to get in contact it would be greatly appreciated. I plan on doing intake/tune/UDP's/exhaust/LT's and maybe cams in the future depending on how the car performs. I've heard with the above mods mentioned minus the cams the LS3's tend to put out anywhere between 410-430 rwhp which is more than enough for me. Looking forward to hearing everyone's input and I'm really excited about having this car as my own. It's done very well against the 5.0's I've raced and I can't wait to see how much faster it feels after the mods I've mentioned above are purchased and installed.

Cheers!
m5miler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
First, more is never enough.

There are lots of ways of modifying tunes, but I use Blackbear and here are my reasons why. I used Blackbear when I first got my Silverado and started modding it. He did a great job on the several iterations of that vehicle so I had him do the tune on my Camaro as well.

Lots of people on here don't like mail order tunes and take it to a local tuner. The nearest local tuners to me range from 90 minutes to a few hours away which might as well be San Diego where Blackbear is because I'm not driving that far every time I have a tuning question. I have an AutoCal that allows me to capture scans on my vehicles and send them to Justin at Blackbear. He makes adjustments to the tune and makes me aware of potential problems he sees that I need to take a look out.

Hope this helps in your search.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Congrats on you recent/upcoming Camaro man! So as mentioned above it isnt a bad idea to consider a mail tune for the mods you listed, as they arent too radical and you arent very close to anyone, but you certainly want a dyno tune for a cam install if you go that route later.

I am in Houston and if you are looking for a well known shop here call 510 Race Engineering. They are great and did my header tune.

I am going a different less well known route for my cam, but that is another convo. Check out the sub forum for Texas and post this qstn for Austin, I know there are some good shops there. Maybe look in to ADM and LG Motorsports in Dallas. Good luck man!
Old 09-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Hey man I'm from Waco! Hit me up, my buddy tunes in Waco but he's not a professional but definitely did a good job on my old 2010 and he's tuning my 2014 in a few weeks for headers and intake.

He drives. 2006 twin turbo GTO. I'll get him to give you a price
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
m5miler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
First, more is never enough.

There are lots of ways of modifying tunes, but I use Blackbear and here are my reasons why. I used Blackbear when I first got my Silverado and started modding it. He did a great job on the several iterations of that vehicle so I had him do the tune on my Camaro as well.

Lots of people on here don't like mail order tunes and take it to a local tuner. The nearest local tuners to me range from 90 minutes to a few hours away which might as well be San Diego where Blackbear is because I'm not driving that far every time I have a tuning question. I have an AutoCal that allows me to capture scans on my vehicles and send them to Justin at Blackbear. He makes adjustments to the tune and makes me aware of potential problems he sees that I need to take a look out.

Hope this helps in your search.

This definitely helps, thanks a bunch for your input!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
m5miler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Congrats on you recent/upcoming Camaro man! So as mentioned above it isnt a bad idea to consider a mail tune for the mods you listed, as they arent too radical and you arent very close to anyone, but you certainly want a dyno tune for a cam install if you go that route later.

I am in Houston and if you are looking for a well known shop here call 510 Race Engineering. They are great and did my header tune.

I am going a different less well known route for my cam, but that is another convo. Check out the sub forum for Texas and post this qstn for Austin, I know there are some good shops there. Maybe look in to ADM and LG Motorsports in Dallas. Good luck man!
Appreciate the input man, and Thanks a bunch! This car is a ton of fun and I know it has a bunch of potential with what I want to do to it. I'll definitely give LG and ADM a shout as well, I drive to Dallas every other weekend or so to visit my buddies that live there so a weekend trip up there to have either company take a look. Btw that 1le you have is pretty awesome. Have you dynoed yours at all? I really want to get suspension done to give it a more aggressive stance lol
Old 09-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
m5miler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
Hey man I'm from Waco! Hit me up, my buddy tunes in Waco but he's not a professional but definitely did a good job on my old 2010 and he's tuning my 2014 in a few weeks for headers and intake.

He drives. 2006 twin turbo GTO. I'll get him to give you a price

Nice man! PM me your number and we can meet up sometime. What color is his gto? I've seen a silver one driving around valley mills every so often that sounds sick as hell, not sure if it's turboed though.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
Dfault

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5miler View Post
Nice man! PM me your number and we can meet up sometime. What color is his gto? I've seen a silver one driving around valley mills every so often that sounds sick as hell, not sure if it's turboed though.
It's black and he doesn't drive it much.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
dyno tuning with hp tuner or ifi live is best when doing the cam not cams......... this is not a ford nightmare
Old 09-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5miler View Post
Appreciate the input man, and Thanks a bunch! This car is a ton of fun and I know it has a bunch of potential with what I want to do to it. I'll definitely give LG and ADM a shout as well, I drive to Dallas every other weekend or so to visit my buddies that live there so a weekend trip up there to have either company take a look. Btw that 1le you have is pretty awesome. Have you dynoed yours at all? I really want to get suspension done to give it a more aggressive stance lol
Thanks man! I dyno tuned it after my header install and put down 421/417. I will have my cam install and tune done 9/19 and am excited to see what it puts down. Good luck man!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
MonteSS

Drives: 2010 1SS M6
Gonna road trip to Waco sometime this fall in my Camaro. I'll be on the lookout for ya, get us some pics of it!
MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
Dfault

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
Gonna road trip to Waco sometime this fall in my Camaro. I'll be on the lookout for ya, get us some pics of it!
Let me know too, I'm from the Waco area.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post

Here is the things that turned me away from ADM and LG. I don't like talking bad but here are my reasons..

ADM: They seem to only like to install Lingenfelter cams, not that that is a bad thing, just not my style.

LG: nice people but expensive.

Just my 2cents.

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
Crim

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
You are a short drive from some of the best tuners in the country. No way would I go with a mail order tune. Yes your mods aren't that radical but do yourself a favor and get an appointment with Andy @ ADM in Lewisville, Pat G in Victoria, Matt at 510 already mentioned, Jeremy at Power Fab, Houston, Mike at G-Force, Houston, Joe at KP Racing, Houston, Cory at Henderson Performance, New Braunfels.

Do it up right.. And two of the best CAIs out there are ADM and CAI.

Hope this helps.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote