Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
Ashn_G_1LE

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
New cam coming! *questions*

Hey guys. So I decided to go with the VR kaotik cam kit with pushrods, valve springs, etc. should I be upgrading anything else like pulley etc? I’m not too sure what would result for best power and drivability so any recommendations help! Thanks in advance!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Ashn_G_1LE

Also car is at 80k miles. Should I replace lifters too?
Old 09-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I think most do an underdrive crank pulley with a cam. I'd go with ATI or Fluidamper. I'd replace the lifters as well at that mileage.

With the heads off to replace the lifters, it's a perfect time to have them worked over a bit too. Not necessary, but there won't be a more perfect (ideal) time to have the work done.

Post your results once the work is complete!
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Ashn_G_1LE

Any recommendations on lifters or should I just get new oem lifters
Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
sinisterlsx510

Drives: 14 ss camaro summit white
Some johnson 2110 lifters!

2019 sierra duramax 2500 all terrain x

2001 trans am
Lsx 408 ci rebuild in progress(dead project)

1967 camaro
Sbc 327.
sinisterlsx510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
Ashn_G_1LE

^^^ those were the ones I was planning on! Btw can Vengence not ship to CA. When I go to order, California isnt an option....
Old 09-22-2018, 12:31 AM   #7
sinisterlsx510

Drives: 14 ss camaro summit white
Try texas speed lol

2019 sierra duramax 2500 all terrain x

2001 trans am
Lsx 408 ci rebuild in progress(dead project)

1967 camaro
Sbc 327.
sinisterlsx510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Are you in smog territory? it may not ship to you as your altering may not be condoned by Communifornia for 1.....supposedly in your neck of the woods edelbrock at SEMA back supposedly made a CARB friendly cam..... just a couple thoughts along with read a million cam install threads you should replace the stock lifters they are worn, the lifter baskets, switch to a high volume pump if ls3 though not required, switch to a better timing chain C5R, and a ls2 timing chain dampener also known as dogbone type because at your mileage your stock ls3 tensioners most likely shot if not trashed into pieces in the pan, ( not so good IMO), and the trunnions of the rockers should get upgraded and you will need to pull the heads for new lifter baskets so your going to need new head gaskets and TTY torque to yield head bolts...…

Many just on lower mileage engines go with the stock pump and chain, and tensioner and that's OK but not the best piece of mind. And say the lifters are at like 20k or so many use the stock ones if no tracking much has occurred on the cam/roller......but going too much higher in mileage not so good IMO and many others/tuners; Also they would not spend the money for a good balancer for the cams more wilder vibration with a good balancer, they would go with a underdrive that does nothing to help potentionally harmful vibrations but rather chase a hp gain with under driving everything not so good for A/C. SO they buy for 1/2 the price a chunk of metal like the stock pulley instead of a nice Fluidampr or ATI, my Fluidampr does underdrive the electrical but the deal is the idle is 950 with a cam not way low 600 or something so it makes up for the loss of pulley by its higher idle and it does not do that to the A/C ..stock pulley is also available. And know directions for the belts sizes are not always that right with gates numbers etc...its best to go by lengths given for several types....

Anyway just a few thoughts, in your case I would most likely being stuck in CAL go for a edelbrock supercharger which is CARB legal and leave it alone so its resale is good for the area...IMO. And I do a break in of a new cam with Br30 driven racing oil, and drive on ls30 oil and change out springs in increments to avoid valve float or loss of spring pressure in about 25k increments and yes I use a 8620 core. You if not equipped should have long ago gotten a good catch can system to avoid oil ingestion in the intake tract from the PCV. And if you choose different lifters preload required may be different than stock amount area best around /.045 to .060.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
Ashn_G_1LE

Also, one more question, with this set up, is it worth it to upgrade fuel pump and injectors and go on e85?
Old 09-23-2018, 04:11 AM   #10
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashn_G_1LE View Post
Also, one more question, with this set up, is it worth it to upgrade fuel pump and injectors and go on e85?
Yes!

I did ID850's and ZL1 pump.

I'm already maxing out the ZL1 pump @ WOT starting around 4k rpm's on E85 at 75% Ethanol on my setup though.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #11
Synner

Drives: cars
Definitely do lifters at 80k (OEM or the Johnsons are fine), I always change the balancer from the metal lump the factory uses if I'm modifying or running at high rpm, E85 is a choice of how much an extra 15ish hp is worth to you when using stock compression and the increased fuel consumption. Factor in flex fuel sensor and extra tuning costs too. I don't see anything mentioning headers or intake which I consider a necessity.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #12
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashn_G_1LE View Post
What do you hope to gain out of e85?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Most stock engine even high lift cams do not max out the duty cycle on the stock fuel injection system but if your going to be spraying corn your going to get crappier mileage but lower cost per gallon and cleaner engine yet more potential bearing surface wear from oil absorbing fuel more than with gasoline because of the mileage causing more fuel to enter system constantly as all rings/seals would be under higher volume pressure over time...... IMO

SO if running corn I would just check out the oil more often, and change it out more watching its condition; kind of like watching a diesel and their water fuel separator sort of deal would be my maintenance to see if at any point something goes south. There is power to be had with Ethanol ; but blended % mixtures are also used; but the mileage factor makes it need more frequent fill ups, and you have to find a place to buy it around here harder than finding race gas...… But the fact is most average builds its not that much HP gain for the PITA to be ethanol IMO ANd you have to pencil out your going to need to upgrade the fuel system to be smart, and built ;a boost a pump, zl1 pump, and better injectors would be optimal for that level ;IMO from whats been on here over the years. You may have to replace some of the rubber hoses on some engines for ethanol also, and you void your warranty as its not covered and in the manual using corn BTW...….

Now say you had a more radical build you may want to go to a blend or something but its really a case of the $$$$ and does it really make that much power..... I have seen mediocre results of like 15 HP or so and that's not worth the $$$ basically for most Reported on here from conversion and some could get better its more build level dependent.

Now if your in Corn country you also have to realize that the Ethanol forced on us by regulation in our gasoline has been shown to not be doing what it was supposed to do, and generating the ethanol by turning undeveloped land and growing corn /ethanol for ethanol has released about 50 years of CO2, and its not really working let alone worth the hassle, and I dream of Trump dealing with it and eliminating it someday with the EPA...but hey...A guy can dream.... it should be stopped and normalcy returned to a corrupted system yet we are subject to political correctness gone awry. And eventually the costs for ethanol are due to rise greatly if its ever taken out of regular gasoline blend , which IMO should happen someday due to common sense and studies showing exactly that its not reducing but inducing more pollution from its creation....ethanol in gas...

Sucks for small engines to be using ethanol in the gas. Summer /Winter blend of gas it really is smoke and mirrors to make the greenies happy and B.S. for us the end consumers that someday will go away due to public outcry from common sense when it becomes more public knowledge IMO and accepted fact. But hey you got corn in your area and if you want you go for it and you buy lots of cheaper corn when it would be much better in a forced induction or say in a friggin 2000 HP sled nitro methane injected dragster.....LOL And by god the chamber will be cooler with the amount of ethanol going in compared to gasoline......but hey that does not translate into power unless your into a really built car more say twin turbo etc.....and need that cooling effect greatly to make the power and not have as much heat soak ……. Just some thoughts. IMO

And remember its the Torque that moves us....use the Torque Luke...… live long and prosper with a PHAT arse Camaro gen 5 ;as heavy as good old Chevelle Heavy Chevy I used to drive.... god its like music hey I should be a rapper...ROFL..... SO in one word...NO. Answer your last question OP? And though you get cheaper corn you loose so much in mileage....for N/A unless your like 13 to 1 tunnel rammed etc …...700 HP N/A territory with mega N/A build and .700 lift cam etc.....$$$$$ your financially better off with out using it and wont save money or make that much power and have to upgrade everything, but hey a flex fuel conversion that would be something you change back with ,and use it only for say drag racing purposes that's been done by most to be able to change back because...……… hey your upgrading things anyway if your a hot rodder eventually I do upgrade like every damn thing ...LOL real.....done many old chevys I built and sold.... and drove with my own friggin fleet for decades.....Hey had it like that, buying stuff for like $500 guys dream of for 10k now barn find.

Last edited by christianchevell; 09-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
I did my cam at 76k and definitely replaced the lifters since the heads were coming off anyways for the nicer ones that went in.

Stock lifters are fine for the cam you're going with

I went with the stock dampner as well

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote