Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Exclamation How to Adjust Your Camaro's Door Glass (in 3 directions)

I have heard that there are apparently a couple of folks having some issues with their door glass not being in the right position.

HAVE NO FEAR!!!

We are here to help!

Here's a little info on what can be done to fix your door glass...it's really an easy fix. It just takes a little time and patience.

1st...if you don't want to take on the task yourself, run it in to the dealer and have it fixed under warranty. They should be able to get it done. However, if you've taken it there and they haven't a clue, if you are more of a "do it yourself-er," or your car ends up running out of warranty (for those years down the road), .....

....then read on....

There are two issues that cause the door glass to catch the (Scalp) molding when opening a Camaro door. The door glass is either set too far forward or too high.

Determine what issue is causing your problem.

Glass too far forward: From the rear edge of the door glass to the stationary black metal vertical trim you MUST have a consistent gap of 7 to 9 mm (1/4 TO 5/16 INCH )with the door closed, glass up.

Glass too high: If your vertical gap is a consistent 7 to 9 mm then your glass is too high,

To make these adjustments, you must remove the door pad. Once the door pad is removed, you will notice a black, waterproof liner. This liner must be pulled down to expose the two 10 mm bolt heads that have to be loosened (Do Not Remove Bolts, JUST Loosen) to make glass adjustments. The door glass sits in two V grooved saddles that are attached to the door regulators that move the glass up and down. The front saddle simply closes tightly (squeezes the V sides together) when the bolt on the bottom of the saddle is tightened.

On the rear, lower edge of the door glass, there is a 1 inch hole. The rearward bolt that you must loosen to make adjustments goes through this hole into the back side of the saddle.

Adjustment hints when adjusting the glass.

Have a friend assist you by holding the glass in position while you loosen and tighten.

Make small, multiple adjustments until you obtain the proper glass position.

Remove the window switch from the door pad and using it for testing.

Use a marking pencil or crayon to mark your present glass location. Mark the glass (on the outside) at the vertical rubber edge where your door mirror is located. You can also mark your glass on the outside of the horizontal door molding. Use the vertical and horizontal mark on the glass as a reference point when moving the glass.

Lowering the glass from the front saddle only will raise the rear section of the door glass. If there is a need to lower the glass, adjust both glass saddles.

After making any type of glass adjustment, ALWAYS close the door SLOWLY and observe that the glass is NOT hitting the scalp molding.

When testing your adjustments with the door pad off, tuck all wires and cables to a safe location when closing door.

When removing the driver’s door pad, remove the tweeter speaker first.

When removing your door pad on the driver’s side, unplug the trunk release button last by inverting the door pad for easy removal.

Use a bent screwdriver to remove the plastic cover-up (potato chip) behind the interior release handle to expose a hold down bolt.

Once all the door pad fasteners (and tweeter) are removed from the door pad, position your hand from the inside of the door pad rearward of the tweeter location and PULL door pad off. Have someone hold the door as you pull the pad off. Before pulling pad off door frame, double check that ALL fasteners are removed.

To locate (easier access) the front and rear saddle bolts (10 mm head) lower the window glass with the switch that has been removed from the door pad.

When unplugging or reconnecting your door switch, have your ignition key in the off position or simply remove your key from the cylinder or you will set off a code.

Moving the curvature of the door glass inward or outward is the third adjustment that can be made to your door glass. To access, remove the two rectangular rubber patches that are on the underside of the door. By loosening the exposed nut you can move the bottom of the regulator inboard or outboard. A good starting point for the front regulator is inboard with a slight gap (3/8inch). The rear regulator set ½ to ¾ outboard.

I hope these tips and hints help you out as you give it a go!

~Tag
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Nice to know, thanks for posting Tag!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
IOM-SS

Drives: 2010 SS RS 2G1FT1EWXA9163596
the one thing i notice is when i stop the car & engine open the door the window goes down slightly when i close the door it goes up seals closed.

:5thgenvert:
IOM-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOM-SS View Post
the one thing i notice is when i stop the car & engine open the door the window goes down slightly when i close the door it goes up seals closed.
Punctuation bro. It helps a lot.
Your window is supposed to do that.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
cool
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
RSHugger

Drives: 1969 RS Camaro

Good write up and pictures would even make it better
RSHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOM-SS View Post

:5thgenvert:
This is your window indexing. It is a feature of this car.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
SamReidland

Drives: 17 Black 1LE
Finally! I have been waiting for this.
SamReidland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
This is good, but my windows catch the channel on a random basis. Sometimes either door opens and closes properly--no glass chunking against the window channel. But there are times on both opening and closing the glass hits the channel. This doesn't seem like a glass adjustment problem, but rather a window motor speed or syncronization problem. The passenger door/window is more affected by this than the driver's door. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
LT1Jeep
Ecstatic Camaro SS Owner

Drives: Jeep(s) [1in pieces] and 2010 SS/RS
Not to hijack but it is window related: anyone find that som
etimes when you hit auto up the window goes up then down halfway and stops?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
What about when your window comes back down a little after closing it? When I close my passenger window it something triggers the safety feature when it reaches the top like something is in the way.....causing it to come back down a few inches.....I brought it to my dealer and they said they fixed it but it still does it
Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
my passenger window clicks almost everytime because the indexing is too slow when opening the door. Its fine if you hold the door closed pull the handle and watch the window index down and then open the door... Delay delay delay.. oh well 'F' it.. its under warranty! :-)
Old 03-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #14
Black_2SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HotWheels Edition
I've adjusted my twice now and it seems to keep slipping down. I have noticed that sometimes it will 'catch' going up and go back down. Its kinda annoying. I always figured it was the shops fault after replacing my door (stupid deer!!). Anyone know if a dealer will still work it if I've had the door replaced by a local body shop? I assume the full warranty still applies. Anyway, thanks for the info I'm gonna have to tear into it I guess.
Black_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, door, glass