Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
Bryant209

Drives: GTO
1LE upgrade sway setup?

Hey whats up guys hypothetically, if I were to get the 1Le upgrade for the SS, what is the best sway bar setup for it? I've read thay the 27 mm 1LE bar w/ 32 mm bmr bar is near ideal but also read that this setup might steal traction, ive also read that 24 mm stock sway w/ 1le 28 mm is close too... what's the best sway bar setup here? or is the stock 1le setup the best? also if i dont wanna go with the 1le wheel setup, would stock SS wheels and 275 square setupw/ pilot super sports be ideal or would i be sacrificing too much performance? id appreciate to not only match the performance of the 1le but to maybe be just a bit above it, but i also wanna think realistically
Bryant209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Well if you keep stock suspension I suggest stock wheels and tires for best performance is there a reason why you would not want 1le wheel and tire setup?
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
Bryant209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Well if you keep stock suspension I suggest stock wheels and tires for best performance is there a reason why you would not want 1le wheel and tire setup?
Just cause of the cost issues of those huge rims and tires as well as the fact that it'll be hard to find winter tires for that size... and you suggest stock 27 m:m front and 28 mm rear 1le bars? and is there no alternative to the 1le wheel/tire setup? Maybe stickier tires w/ square 275 setup like i mentioned? again, the benchmark is the 1le the further we can go beyond it the better
Old 02-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Yes 1le is 27 front 28 rear, if you want something different try 32 in the rear but personally I'm very happy with stock. The 1le tires have the best grip bar none when warmed up they are also pretty cheap coming in at 220 per tire online you can also check out z28 wheel tire setup but I think you should be happy with what 1le offers

Edit* for winter I use a crappy Toyota but I suppose you could use stock ss rims and winter tires yea it costs more to have two sets of wheels but it will pay off in performance wise in summer
Old 02-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
Bryant209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Yes 1le is 27 front 28 rear, if you want something different try 32 in the rear but personally I'm very happy with stock. The 1le tires have the best grip bar none when warmed up they are also pretty cheap coming in at 220 per tire online you can also check out z28 wheel tire setup but I think you should be happy with what 1le offers

Edit* for winter I use a crappy Toyota but I suppose you could use stock ss rims and winter tires yea it costs more to have two sets of wheels but it will pay off in performance wise in summer
The price of the tires aren't the problem, the super sports are more expensive anyway i think, the price of the rims are a problem, how much are those rims gonna run me? Also Ive been advised not to overdo the rear sway because itll steal traction...but what ive read is people do 24 mm stock SS front sway w/ 1LE 28 mm rear sway and BMR sub frame connectors to make up for the stiffness lost due to the smaller fronts
Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Stealing traction is an interesting way to describe it but yeah, using a 32mm rear will take bite or traction out of the rear using a 32mm. This would make the car have less understeer (looser). Using a 24/28 setup is essentially the same principle but your adding bite to the front instead of taking off the rear. This also increases body roll and body roll is not desirable. Unless your planning on increasing spring rates, I think your best off with stock 27/28 or 27/32. Definitely the later if your not running a square tire setup.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant209 View Post
The price of the tires aren't the problem, the super sports are more expensive anyway i think, the price of the rims are a problem, how much are those rims gonna run me? Also Ive been advised not to overdo the rear sway because itll steal traction...but what ive read is people do 24 mm stock SS front sway w/ 1LE 28 mm rear sway and BMR sub frame connectors to make up for the stiffness lost due to the smaller fronts
You can pick up aftermarket zl1/1le 'replica' wheels they are $1100~ the only downside they are cast instead of forged but that shouldnt make a difference that much. If you emulate the 1le suspension, wheel, and tire parameters as much as possible I guarantee you, you will have a car that handles like its on rails dont listen to the nay sayers. Also dont be afraid to go aggressive with 32mm in the rear super sticky goodyears g2 will stick like glue when warmed up but thats not to say 28 isnt fine either.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Stealing traction is an interesting way to describe it but yeah, using a 32mm rear will take bite or traction out of the rear using a 32mm. This would make the car have less understeer (looser). Using a 24/28 setup is essentially the same principle but your adding bite to the front instead of taking off the rear. This also increases body roll and body roll is not desirable. Unless your planning on increasing spring rates, I think your best off with stock 27/28 or 27/32. Definitely the later if your not running a square tire setup.
You were doing great up to the 27/28.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #9
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I hope this is not a thread jack, but it is a question about tire size and sway bar size.

As we all know the 1LE has a square set up, with a stretched 285 in the rear.

If one were to buy a larger tire for the rear 1LE wheels, say a 305 or even a 315 for PSS can the increased understeer be corrected with a different rear or even front sway bar size?
Old 02-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I hope this is not a thread jack, but it is a question about tire size and sway bar size.

As we all know the 1LE has a square set up, with a stretched 285 in the rear.

If one were to buy a larger tire for the rear 1LE wheels, say a 305 or even a 315 for PSS can the increased understeer be corrected with a different rear or even front sway bar size?
We developed and tested the 27/32mm bars using square wheels and tires. Using a slightly wider rear wheel helps with understeer when matched with the same size front tire. Putting a 305 or 315 is going to create more understeer, but you already know that. A 32mm rear bar or smaller front bar will help reduce thee added understeer, but will not be an optimal setup.

Car companies build their cars to understeer and this includes the Z/28 which understeers the least of the 5th Gens. Drivers are trained that ABS fixes everything. If your car is sliding, lift off the accelerator and mash down the ABS brake pedal. If the car understeers, lifting and braking work. If the car is neutral or oversteers, lifting sets the car spinning. That is why the ZL1 with staggered wheels and tires (understeers) has a 25mm front bar and the semi square 1LE (neutral) gets a 27mm front bar. They are balancing the car to understeer with a bigger front bar relative to the rear bar and wheel / tire package.

For CamaroCross and HPDE events we want a neutral to oversteer bias. Not snap oversteer, but a controllable transition to oversteer. My old 32mm rear / 27mm front did that really well. With the current bars available, we use a 24mm front SS bar with the 1LE / Zl1 28mm rear bar.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Going to go with Pete on this. I was lucky enough to find one of the elusive 32mm bars this past fall and had it installed just before my last two events of the year. After running 9 events stock, then 2 events with a set of Pedders rear springs, and then 2 more with the bar, you could tell it was making a difference. Gone was the roll that I could not only feel, but see in pictures and video. The car felt more composed on the really tight corners and in the slaloms. Now for the future, await the arrival of JPSS knuckles, and work on the driver.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #12
Bryant209

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We developed and tested the 27/32mm bars using square wheels and tires. Using a slightly wider rear wheel helps with understeer when matched with the same size front tire. Putting a 305 or 315 is going to create more understeer, but you already know that. A 32mm rear bar or smaller front bar will help reduce thee added understeer, but will not be an optimal setup.

Car companies build their cars to understeer and this includes the Z/28 which understeers the least of the 5th Gens. Drivers are trained that ABS fixes everything. If your car is sliding, lift off the accelerator and mash down the ABS brake pedal. If the car understeers, lifting and braking work. If the car is neutral or oversteers, lifting sets the car spinning. That is why the ZL1 with staggered wheels and tires (understeers) has a 25mm front bar and the semi square 1LE (neutral) gets a 27mm front bar. They are balancing the car to understeer with a bigger front bar relative to the rear bar and wheel / tire package.

For CamaroCross and HPDE events we want a neutral to oversteer bias. Not snap oversteer, but a controllable transition to oversteer. My old 32mm rear / 27mm front did that really well. With the current bars available, we use a 24mm front SS bar with the 1LE / Zl1 28mm rear bar.
Well which shouldn I plan for the setup? 24/28 or 27/32? For Daily Driving and Road Courses (No tight parking lot autox) what would be the best performance setup?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #13
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
27/32
Old 02-18-2015, 11:51 PM   #14
Bryant209

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
27/32
perfect, all i needed to know, now how do i get a hold of some 1le rims?