Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Vortech shipping weight is a bit over 60lbs I think.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
..so we are looking at about 100lb's mounted down low and slightly aft for the AGP hardware?

That's not too bad I suppose, considering many weigh 100lb more than I do anyways

I wonder what the total weight of some of those centri supercharger kits are?
They are installed a bit higher up, and front, albeit to the side for the compressor itself. A slight turn off compared to the AGP twin setup for sure on the weight and balance thing.

Still loving the simplicity of a centri install though, for the obvious reasons, eg, when selling car, etc..Wow, decisions decisions!

Decisions decisions, keep the feedback coming!
Turbos are very simple too. No cutting, no tapping, nothing. It just bolts on. Very easy to remove later and get the car back to stock. I would say the ease of boost control would be huge for what you want. Run 4-5psi springs in the turbos so you can turn it down for roadracing/etc, and then you can crank it up to 10psi when you need an extra 150hp.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #17
Motion427
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
We received a AGP turbo tuner kit on friday.
I have to say,I'm very pleased with the quality of the parts.
I think their will be some more Canuck customers looking for these kits.
Motion427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Turbos are very simple too. No cutting, no tapping, nothing. It just bolts on. Very easy to remove later and get the car back to stock. I would say the ease of boost control would be huge for what you want. Run 4-5psi springs in the turbos so you can turn it down for roadracing/etc, and then you can crank it up to 10psi when you need an extra 150hp.
On my last custom turbo setup(BMW 325i..), had to tap the oil pan for the oil return line from the turbo. What about with the AGP kit on the LS3?

With the AGP kit, wouldn't the oil pump have to be relocated?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
Unreal

Quote:
On my last custom turbo setup(BMW 325i..), had to tap the oil pan for the oil return line from the turbo. What about with the AGP kit on the LS3?

With the AGP kit, wouldn't the oil pump have to be relocated?
Comes with billet adapters that bolt so no drilling/tapping. Now if you wanted to drill/tap you could, but it comes with everything to just bolt on.

Not sure what you mean about the oil pump, talk to agp about that. The one that comes with the kit? There are two place it can go, one for the 10-12 racks and one for the 13+ electric racks. If you are talking factory oil pump then no, nothing needs to be done.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Comes with billet adapters that bolt so no drilling/tapping. Now if you wanted to drill/tap you could, but it comes with everything to just bolt on.

Not sure what you mean about the oil pump, talk to agp about that. The one that comes with the kit? There are two place it can go, one for the 10-12 racks and one for the 13+ electric racks. If you are talking factory oil pump then no, nothing needs to be done.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah, I meant that since it is a 2013 1LE, it would have the electric steering, so I heard that it might be in the way for the pump. I could of swore I read somewhere on here in the past, that the "only issue" a dude had with the installation, was his '13 electric steering being in the way of some pump...I'd have to go dig that quote up. In any case, I guess no biggie?
Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
Camaro Dude

Ah here it is, a quote from Dreksnot's installation thread:

"Well, I went ahead and had the base AGP Twin Turbo kit, LPE twin fuel pump and ID-1000's installed on my otherwise stock 2013 LS3. The install went well except for having to relocate the return oil pump because of the 2013 electric power steering pump location (it’s on the cross-member below the belt pulleys now). The fuel gage is out-of-calibration (due to the different tables the LPE uses) and needs to be EFILive fixed using the corrected data. I need to find someone to do that for me. Any suggestions would be nice."

On paper I'm liking what I'm seeing with the AGP. It might very well be a winner.
For some odd reason though, I'm still hoping that a centri blower kit might be a close second, meeting my list of prerequisites in my opening post. I'll be completely honest here, I was kind of hoping to install it myself during Sledge's 6 month hibernation, nice and slowly, like 1-2 hours of work a day.

With the AGP, I'd surely have to find a competent installer, since I reckon that a lift would be a must.

I'll nonetheless go AGP if at the end of my research, I conclude that there is no such thing as a "close second" as far as any of the centrifugal supercharger kits are concerned regarding low IAT and best weight distribution.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #22
Unreal

Doing it yourself may take 6-8 hours. It is pure bolt on, as easy or easier than putting on a set of headers. No lift needed. I would say a blower is a harder install just because of pinning the balancer/etc. As for the oil pump, just goes in a different spot, not hard at all about that.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
Agreed with unreal, the kit really is very easy to install. If you had race ramps or something to get it high enough to get under the car you can put it on no problems. I could easily walk you through the entire install process.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #24
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@CPR.com View Post
Agreed with unreal, the kit really is very easy to install. If you had race ramps or something to get it high enough to get under the car you can put it on no problems. I could easily walk you through the entire install process.

Unreal, pardon the pun, but what you write almost sounds unreal, 6-8 hours to instal!?

In all seriousness, it's just about a no-brainer!

Low IAT's, weight down low, nice dyno numbers at very low boost..install under 14 hours, DIY to boot.

I like it, I'm sold.

Purchase of a brand new AGP kit and installation shall commence winter of 2014/2015, unless I run into a banging deal that would be idiotic to say no to, and thus forces me to jump the gun, and shoot for this winter instead.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #25
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
Quote:
Unreal, pardon the pun, but what you write almost sounds unreal, 6-8 hours to instal!?

In all seriousness, it's just about a no-brainer!

Low IAT's, weight down low, nice dyno numbers at very low boost..install under 14 hours, DIY to boot.

I like it, I'm sold.

Purchase of a brand new AGP kit and installation shall commence winter of 2014/2015, unless I run into a banging deal that would be idiotic to say no to, and thus forces me to jump the gun, and shoot for this winter instead.
It really is abut that quick to do it. When your ready let us know we are agp's neighbors and could easily set you up and offer you full tech support on the kit.

Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #26
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Truthfully if weight is the issue I'd just build a big cube motor like a 440-455 ci.

Only fi road race cars I've dealt with is centrifical setups. The iats are cool and most run methenol setups that drop iat a lot and even cool the motors a bit. Benefit of the centri is coming out of corners smoothly on the throttle.

Can't really comment on the turbos on a road course. All the twin turbos we've done are for street cars over 700rwhp. They hit hard at 1/2 throttle and easily hang sideways. Don't know if they would stay planted on a road course.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Truthfully if weight is the issue I'd just build a big cube motor like a 440-455 ci.

Only fi road race cars I've dealt with is centrifical setups. The iats are cool and most run methenol setups that drop iat a lot and even cool the motors a bit. Benefit of the centri is coming out of corners smoothly on the throttle.

Can't really comment on the turbos on a road course. All the twin turbos we've done are for street cars over 700rwhp. They hit hard at 1/2 throttle and easily hang sideways. Don't know if they would stay planted on a road course.
Weight is an issue, but the lumpy idle and "10 mpg" fuel economy on cruise control on the highway, would be more of an issue for me electing to go with the high HP normally aspirated route.

However you bring up a most excellent point regarding modulation and control of the tail coming out of curves with some turbo applications. Again, NA would rule in that department. Question I guess is what you write, how would the AGP compare to something like say from Procharger, both applications at 600 rwhp, on road course coming out of a nice turn.

Member Unreal did bring up a nice little tidbit though in the previous page. The beauty with the turbo kit is that you could add a super low boost spring, specifically for road course applications.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
Johnny@MTI

Drives: 99 ls1 miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
A vortech V3, Novi 1500, or D1SC Procharger.

we can build you a 600hp street-able motor.

on the Camaro chassis power isn't the limiting factor to speed. it's the sure size of the thing. try flipping heavy parts out for lighter ones, and upgrade your tires.
you need allot of grip to muscle that thing around.

try going to lighter wheels, seats, flywheels, ect... also look into a set of BFG rivals. i just installed a set and love them to pieces.
Johnny@MTI is offline   Reply With Quote