Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-31-2023, 02:22 PM   #1
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Slight cut needed for my TT air filter fittment. Can or should I do it.

Hey guys ..... my driver side K&N turbo air cleaner fitment has always been a pain and install is not easy. I am thinking about cutting out this area in the silver lines on the pictures for easier in n out!
Do you guys think this is a good idea or will it cost structural integrity to be weakened. Thoughts?
Attached Images

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:48 AM   #2
Pops

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 2012 C6 vette M6
Looks structural to me. However is possible to fab a brace to put behind and support after the cut. do not think I would cut without additional brace .
Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:38 PM   #3
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I agree since it is seam welded, it is probably structural to some degree. Will your car fall apart without it? Probably not... If it were my car I would go for it, especially if you are always taking the filters on and off. If you have access to a welder, maybe you could stitch up the seam with a weld after you cut it.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:45 PM   #4
ZX1truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I agree since it is seam welded, it is probably structural to some degree. Will your car fall apart without it? Probably not... If it were my car I would go for it, especially if you are always taking the filters on and off. If you have access to a welder, maybe you could stitch up the seam with a weld after you cut it.
Yep.....doing frequent filter swaps are imperative with the amount of air flowing thru these TT's. And you hit is on the nose my brutha, I will weld her up now that it is cut.
Attached Images

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|

Last edited by ZX1truth; 06-08-2023 at 02:50 PM. Reason: photo
Old 06-09-2023, 03:00 PM   #5
bayarea408

Drives: T
have you tried the aem dry flow air filter wrap? i run a big filter in the fender with no cover and it extends the life by alot.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 03:46 PM   #6
ZX1truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
have you tried the aem dry flow air filter wrap? i run a big filter in the fender with no cover and it extends the life by alot.
I never heard of that......do you have pics by any chance?

Old 06-12-2023, 01:13 PM   #7
bayarea408

Drives: T
https://www.iwsti.com/cdn-cgi/image/...wrap.2310/full

I use one and inspect it all the time. I was at a car show and was talking to some Trophy Truck racers that use them running through wild sand situations in the desert.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:36 PM   #8
ZX1truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
https://www.iwsti.com/cdn-cgi/image/...wrap.2310/full

I use one and inspect it all the time. I was at a car show and was talking to some Trophy Truck racers that use them running through wild sand situations in the desert.
That looks like a great idea and solution my brutha. Thank you so much for suggesting that. I hope it is heat resistant for turbo applications.

Old 06-12-2023, 02:12 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
K&N has them as well..

https://www.knfilters.com/air-filters/filter-wraps.html
Old 06-12-2023, 05:28 PM   #10
ZX1truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
That's excellent. Thanks for your input brutha.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:30 AM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX1truth View Post
That's excellent. Thanks for your input brutha.
You are welcome. Couple of my Camaro buds have them on their filters, and they look great. I'm going to order one for mine!
Old 06-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #12
ZX1truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
You are welcome. Couple of my Camaro buds have them on their filters, and they look great. I'm going to order one for mine!
Think I am ordering them to. Thanks.

How do you like the LOD intake? Thinking about getting one... just worried about low end response.

Old 06-14-2023, 10:22 AM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX1truth View Post
Think I am ordering them to. Thanks.

How do you like the LOD intake? Thinking about getting one... just worried about low end response.
Hey there. I love my LOD! Looks really cool under the hood. Too many folks at the car shows think it is a SC! lol. Until I point out what it is to them. The only thing about it is it is designed to run upwards of 8000 rpm, and I don't have all the valve train needed to push it out there. When we tuned it we did run it to 7500 3 times to get the number we did, and it STILL wanted to make power at that point, but we stopped there for safety. As for low end response, I didn't lose any because I was running a 3200 stall, then went to a 4500 now and she just gets it off the line, no lack of low end on my build, with either the 3200 I did have or the 4500 now. The bad thing is I don't think LOD is still in business anymore, unless you can find them on FB. I had their phone number and have called and texted Rafeal several times because I have some friends here that want one too, but haven't heard anything back from them. It does make great mid range numbers all the way out the door. Here is a vid where GPI tested it along with others.