Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
6th gen camaro control arm deflectors installed

Hey guys, on my quest for more brake cooling I ended up installing the z/28 brake ducts and wheel liners using Nicks DIY as reference but then ended up ordering the 6th gen deflector and splash shield for $40 buks. Here are some pics and did 3 track days last week at two different tracks.... my CCMS didnt show a hint of fade. The splash shield alone is a big improvement and the deflector even more so just from numbers I have seen at work.

not a bad mod for $40 and took less than an hour to install. Of course I drilled holes into the deflector for zip ties since our links dont have the bolt holes. Anybody interested just PM on install.

Oh and finallygot my roll hoop welded in!!! Big tx to a great new friend that custom made it for me. Welded to B pillars and less than 1/8" clearance to roof rail!! Rear points welded to shock inboard points. Love it!

Link to deflector kit: http://m.ebay.com/itm/2016-2017-Cama....c100408.m2460

New PN which is identical is 84145205
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2017, 07:36 AM   #2
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Nice cheap mod to help open up more of the rotor area for cooling!

Wow you have gone full race car mode now with that cage! Looks nice. What is your car down to for weight without driver?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
Btrbimmer

Drives: 2SS 1LE Silver w/Recaro NPP
Were you able to measure the effectiveness of the deflector?

I've been contemplating a good method to take advantage of the z28 brake cooling ducts which I installed on my 5th gen '14 1le. The challenge is to route the air from the outlet to the back of the rotor, but the outlet is located at the pinch point of the tire/wheel meeting the chassis.

Instead of using the track deflector, I opted for the standard deflector that comes on the 6th gen.

I used a simple piece of aluminum square stock to mount the deflector and create space from the suspension to better position it at the outlet.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Images

Btrbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
Mgizzle

Car is about 3550 full tank of gas no driver. I havent taken out the HVAC, radio and onstar module out yet. Plan on that here in next couple of weeks I hope. Still on stock battery too so after winter will goto something lighter.

However I still want to put second seat back in so I ll be happy if it stays at 3450-3500lbs.

I havent measured the deflectors effectiveness but in the SS the car comes stock with the deflector you installed but the kit I put in comes for it for use on track, hence big jump in cooling over stock. I didnt measure anything physically at track though. The track deflector picks air up from under car a bit and also gets a lot closer to rotor and duct just like what you drew with arrows. Gmpartsguy has the kit for $22 shipped now.

Now I just wish a set of 19" forgelines would drop in my lap lmao.... I need lighter wheels and tires hahaha.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
Btrbimmer

These work very well for track use:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=14

Square set up, and lighter than stock. Reasonable price as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Car is about 3550 full tank of gas no driver. I havent taken out the HVAC, radio and onstar module out yet. Plan on that here in next couple of weeks I hope. Still on stock battery too so after winter will goto something lighter.

However I still want to put second seat back in so I ll be happy if it stays at 3450-3500lbs.

I havent measured the deflectors effectiveness but in the SS the car comes stock with the deflector you installed but the kit I put in comes for it for use on track, hence big jump in cooling over stock. I didnt measure anything physically at track though. The track deflector picks air up from under car a bit and also gets a lot closer to rotor and duct just like what you drew with arrows. Gmpartsguy has the kit for $22 shipped now.

Now I just wish a set of 19" forgelines would drop in my lap lmao.... I need lighter wheels and tires hahaha.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #6
Mgizzle

Yeah I have been looking at apex for a while now.... not sure if cast wheels are really whatI want yet. How are the tire choices in the 295 size?
Old 08-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
Btrbimmer

The wheels are cast, but its a high quality cast wheel that is Flow formed, and have a good reputation for track use.

By flow-forming the wheel, weight is reduced in the barrel through roll forging, giving the barrel similar material properties to a standard forged wheel. This significant increase in the barrel strength allows for a reduction in overall wheel weight, while not sacrificing any of the strength you'd expect from fully forged wheels.

I'm running a 295 on the 19" x 10.5", but 305 will fit. So plenty of tire choices, but none are cheap. I will buy 305's for my next set.

I really like the Pirelli DH slicks, but its too early for me to have a good feel for longevity. The increased grip of the slicks quickly find the limits of the brake system, specifically the fronts will reach higher temperatures than you could experience with any street tire. (That is where your cooling deflectors would be tested)

Also, I'm still making a few more tweaks, including alignment.

Quote:
Yeah I have been looking at apex for a while now.... not sure if cast wheels are really what I want yet. How are the tire choices in the 295 size?

Old 08-24-2017, 07:03 AM   #8
Btrbimmer

I'm having trouble finding the deflectors from any GM parts outlets.

Are these part numbers correct?
  • New PN which is identical is 84145205
  • GM PART NUMBER 23385148

Old 08-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #9
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:

I have one pair of 19x11 Forgelines for sale
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500837
Old 08-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #10
Mach83

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
How do you think this compares to using the Quantum Kit with 3" duct coming directly from the lower grill as others have done?I love the OEM look/feel to the Z28 duct kit, and my 2015's liners are plug and play. However, before I saw this thread I couldn't reconcile how to get air from where the Z28 ducts dump into the wheel well in a rectangular fashion to connect to quantums.

So,instead, I just purchased the inlets and ducting to do this in 2 steps. Step 1 would be to put my inlets into the outer lower grill (same as Z28 kit) and install 3" ducting to the factory wheel well cutouts. Step 2 would be to install the quantums and continue the ducting using the same path others have successfully discovered through trial and error.

If these deflectors play into the Z28 system and are comparably effective I might change directions......
Mach83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #11
Mach83

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrbimmer View Post
I'm having trouble finding the deflectors from any GM parts outlets.

Are these part numbers correct?

• New PN which is identical is 84145205

• GM PART NUMBER 23385148

The only place I found this part was the site he referenced - GMPartsGuy and eBay. The 23385148 part number is actually for the instruction sheet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mach83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #12
Mgizzle

There u go those are right. Get those.

Nice deal on the forgelines but no way am I running spacers and am looking for 10s or 10.5s.

I never tried the quantum kit and am sure it ll work if you dont route hose to back and then forward. Routing hose just suks. I had a 3" hose for a long time that just c ame close to rotor, worked well but then I wanted something cleaner. I migt still add a hose and run back of deflector and pick air from under car. This is like my 5th cooling update lol just looks cleanest and brakes work. Not sure that helps you much but in your 15 the z/28 ducts are a clean upgrade and auoer clean. Add this for $20 and if it works way better than quantum execution.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:08 PM   #13
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
There u go those are right. Get those.

Nice deal on the forgelines but no way am I running spacers and am looking for 10s or 10.5s.
You are running the OEM 1LE suspension, Do you have camber plates? If you have camber plates, you do not need the spacer. I'm running a 5mm spacer, and their is nothing to be afraid of.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #14
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Do you have to remove the Calipers or Rotors?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote