Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #85
BlkCamaroVert

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99 Vert IO Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Unfortunately . . . and worse yet, what they do say is going to discourage people from familiarizing themselves with what only moderately hard braking feels like. AAA's score in that respect might well end up looking something like "pistol 1, foot 0".

Norm
In Monaco you can be ticketed for blowing your horn. I always wondered if that law resulted accidents.
BlkCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:42 AM   #86
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamaroVert View Post
In Monaco you can be ticketed for blowing your horn. I always wondered if that law resulted accidents.

In Illinois you can be ticketed for blowing your horn except in case of an emergency.

Do you blow your horn often?
Old 12-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #87
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Unfortunately . . . and worse yet, what they do say is going to discourage people from familiarizing themselves with what only moderately hard braking feels like. AAA's score in that respect might well end up looking something like "pistol 1, foot 0".

Norm
I am assuming that this score is similar to the Progressive insurance score from their little plug in device. Getting a good score on these devices does nothing to assure me you can control your car. Like you said, how many people that we all drive with everyday have any concept of how their car would react under moderate to heavy breaking, let alone close to threshold breaking. The same goes for acceleration near a vehicles traction limits. I am by no means promoting driving like a moron on the street, but knowing your vehicle at or near its limits is a huge plus in a critical situation.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #88
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Agreed ↑↑↑ Only a few data measurements would be meaningful even with the blanket assumptions that the insurance companies would naturally make.

I wonder what the range of peoples' reactions to having "brake assist" take over and cram the braking all the way into a full-blown ABS event might be . . . then again, maybe I don't even want to guess.

Back when I still had a morning commute, I had a daily opportunity to hone my own braking skills. From about 60 mph (divided highway) onto the office driveway, accelerate down the driveway and go from whatever speed to a full stop (STOP sign). Even with most of my track time coming after retiring, I think I've lost a step and probably wouldn't be able to reliably match what I could do on a daily basis. At least on that specific stretch of road/driveway.

Norm
Old 12-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #89
Theloots

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Riding with someone who complains about how I drive takes all the pleasure out of having a fast car. Was wondering what others here do about a wife or friend that complains about their driving habits. Do you just ignore their cries and hope they get use to it? Or do you let it change your driving style? With my friends I don't give a crap. If they don't like it they don't have to ride in my car. With my wife I'm trying a new approach. I'm gradually increasing how aggressively I drive. It seems to be working. She's unknowingly getting use to it.
I drive like a lunatic and I found my wife is ok with speed but not with aggression. As long as the road is clear and I don't weave .... I can pour it on and I just see her smiling. I save the weaving for when I'm alone. That's my formula. : ) ... oh and yes ... my tickets are piling up again. : ((
Old 12-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #90
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:
It's pretty general.
Two years on, it still looks like insurance companies would penalize you for what traffic around you could be forcing you to do. They say "suggesting a more risky driving style" when what they do with internally is probably more like rubberstamping your file with something that reads more like "you're not as bad as some drivers, but we still don't like the way you drive".

Never mind how they'd view a session of bedding in a new set of performance street brake pads, which would be in their interest as well as yours that you do.

I trust people have seen State Farm's TV ads where the passenger is more worried about losing her insurance discount than dealing with whatever urgent matter of the moment.
Quote:
Kim is very vigilant about her Drive Safe & Save discount from State Farm. It doesn’t matter if it’s Sharon from the office telling them they’re late for a meeting or if Kim’s son needs to go to the bathroom. It doesn’t even matter when Kim is going into labor. Don’t mess with her discount!

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-04-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #91
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot (G7C)
She knows the car is loud, it's not her VW Tiguan this is a muscle car, it's lowered and fast. If we take my car i drive it my way, if we take her car i drive it her way. That's it.

If it's a manual, you can always learn to be a little more accommodating on your shifting, i mean if you want to keep her around. LOL
Old 12-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #92
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
My ex used to get pissed when I would drive aggressively. My current thankfully lets me just do what I enjoy. I usually kept the aggressive driving to a minimum when with the lady, just because I care about her safety (she does encourage the challenging of other vehicles though, and that's hard to resist). But I save the real aggressiveness until I'm alone. Just be careful, there are always lives in your hand every time you get behind the wheel, regardless if there is a passenger or not. Have fun, stay safe
this^

lol, i did have a incident where "showing off" came into play. Coming home one day, my neighbor was out washing his truck (he is a major gearhead too, so whenever we see one another out its guaranteed that tire smoke will happen) so i pressed the clutch, hit ~5k and let her eat.....wifes head bounced off the headrest and she complained about a headache for a day of two..

Other than that, i usually drive pretty reasonable when she is with me. short, roll in bursts and 90 100mph sprints on the highway when its empty.
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs (not installed), SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:36 PM   #93
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister10 View Post
this^

lol, i did have a incident where "showing off" came into play. Coming home one day, my neighbor was out washing his truck (he is a major gearhead too, so whenever we see one another out its guaranteed that tire smoke will happen) so i pressed the clutch, hit ~5k and let her eat.....wifes head bounced off the headrest and she complained about a headache for a day of two..

Other than that, i usually drive pretty reasonable when she is with me. short, roll in bursts and 90 100mph sprints on the highway when its empty.
Hahaha, jesus that sounds like something I would do. We just can't help ourselves eh? My GF would break my fingers if I tried that now.

I used to get pissed that my GF doesn't really like my car. She gets carsick very easily so I have to drive very tame when she is in it. The low position of the passenger seat makes it even worse for her as she can't see over the dashboard. No paddles, no Competitive Mode, no revving...nothing. She doesn't understand that it's hard to drive this car like an old lady. But now we just drive her slow and reasonable Mitsubishi Lancer when we need to go out together, and I drive the Camaro when it's just me. I am perfectly fine with it being that way.

Maybe I should get a TrackHawk as a family car?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6 - Heads milled .015, Melling HV 10296 Pump, TSP Longtubes (Catless), X-Pipe, FM Outlaw Axle Back (w/MBRP GFX Tips), Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 Catch Can + GM 1LE Clean Side Separator, Hinson Wires/NGK TR6IX Plugs, 160* Stat, Vitesse Throttle Controller, STOP-TECH Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors w/Hawk HB453Z.585 Performance Ceramic Pads, ZL1 Leather Steering Wheel, ZL1 Add-Ons Wicker Bill Spoiler, SLP Front Splitter - Megan Racing Adjustable Coilovers, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #94
Syclone

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Here ya go..............
Attached Images