Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

Old 06-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Quality engine shop

Looking for a quality engine shop to install a 3-bolt low lash solid roller cam, dyno tune with 6L80E trans.

Kip @Cam Motion put the parts package together, T&D shaft mounted rockers , Frankenstein heads and Circle D 3600 stall.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
tribone
Searchin' ....

Drives: Powered by Bowtie
Hey there. I would recommend J&R Performance. Myself and a couple of other guys have driven out there from California. They worked on my 2010 LSX and did an awesome job. Not only with the Performance aspect, but also how clean and organized they left the Engine Compartment. I also know a few guys that have taken their Camaros to them from Texas and Nevada.

I personally will be taking my 2015 1LE once I get all the parts that I want installed. Definitely recommend them.

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
SSeniorMoment

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribone View Post
Hey there. I would recommend J&R Performance. Myself and a couple of other guys have driven out there from California. They worked on my 2010 LSX and did an awesome job. Not only with the Performance aspect, but also how clean and organized they left the Engine Compartment. I also know a few guys that have taken their Camaros to them from Texas and Nevada.

I personally will be taking my 2015 1LE once I get all the parts that I want installed. Definitely recommend them.
Thank you, I'll give them a call.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
CPR is the only local shop I would consider having touch my car. If pressed hard enough, Top Gear in Mesa is 2nd choice.

You couldn't pay me enough to even let other places change the oil let alone tune/install anything.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
SSeniorMoment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
CPR is the only local shop I would consider having touch my car. If pressed hard enough, Top Gear in Mesa is 2nd choice.

You couldn't pay me enough to even let other places change the oil let alone tune/install anything.
Thank you very much for your input, I'll do more background checking.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:

This guy gets it....
Old 07-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
SSeniorMoment

It always pays to double check, and sometimes triple check, before laying down hard earned coin; thanks guys.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
Unreal

Well and of course AGP for turbo goodness. They do a great job installing/tuning their kits. They are pumping out a car a week making 750-800rwhp with just a kit bolted on. Surprised more people don't go that way.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Top Gear did my cam and I was perfectly happy. Small shop so it takes some time, but Sean is very particular. Very happy to answer every question.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #10
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Well and of course AGP for turbo goodness. They do a great job installing/tuning their kits. They are pumping out a car a week making 750-800rwhp with just a kit bolted on. Surprised more people don't go that way.
Probably because of the added weight, inherently aggressive torque curve, cost, and probably not ideal for twisty track/road course use? I'm sure it'd come as quite a surprise for all that power to come online gassing it out of a turn.
That kit is about $9k, and doesn't include a cam, which is surely recommended, so there's still that cost to consider. It also doesn't include labor for those that can't do it themselves. So these guys must be writing checks for what, $10-15k or more to drive away with that package installed? That's a lot of up front money. And then, with 600-800+ rwhp a clutch upgrade is in order, like now.
If all I wanted to do is go fast straight I'd probably do the turbo option, though.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.

Last edited by Bodywerks; 07-06-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #11
Unreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
Probably because of the added weight, inherently aggressive torque curve, cost, and probably not ideal for twisty track/road course use? I'm sure it'd come as quite a surprise for all that power to come online gassing it out of a turn.
That kit is about $9k, and doesn't include a cam, which is surely recommended, so there's still that cost to consider. It also doesn't include labor for those that can't do it themselves. So these guys must be writing checks for what, $10-15k or more to drive away with that package installed? That's a lot of up front money. And then, with 600-800+ rwhp a clutch upgrade is in order, like now.
If all I wanted to do is go fast straight I'd probably do the turbo option, though.
Kit is $7500. No cam needed. They do installed/tuned 750-800rwhp for less than $10k out the door installed. Works fine on twisty track/road course. Just size the turbos properly. Don't run the huge ones that come on late.

As for doing it yourself, it isn't much harder than a header install. Bolts right on, no cutting, drilling, welding, or anything. Just undo factory cats, bolt turbos in place, run pipes and mount intercooler. Easily done in a day. Several people have made 1000+ on stock cams or ls9 cams. Doesn't take a big cam. Let the turbos do the work.

Porsche, McClaren, Ferrari, GTRs and the list goes on do just fine with turbos for twisties. You can run the smaller turbos that would max out around 850rwhp and have pretty much instant power and full boost around 2200-2500rpm. If you are lower than that on a road course, probably need driving lessons. Even the 56mms that hit full boost at 3200ish would have no issue. Plus with a boost controller you can just turn it down to 5psi, make ~500rwhp, and not worry. If you needed more power to pass on a straight could just hit an overboost switch and make 800rwhp to pass then back to 500rwhp.

Clutches are an interesting thing. If you just daily driver and road course, stock clutch holds up pretty damn well. It is sticky tires, drag raciing, and launching that kills clutches. Friend had a 750rwhp vette driving around for years on a stock ls3 clutch. Everyone kept telling him it was going to die, so he finally put a RXT in it. When he pulled the stock clutch, it still looked new. Never slipped, never had an issue. He never drag raced, and just did canyons/twisties.

Added weight is very minimal and it is low to ground. Turbos weigh about the same as the parts removed, so all you have is the oil pump, some piping and an intercooler.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #12
SSeniorMoment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroost View Post
Top Gear did my cam and I was perfectly happy. Small shop so it takes some time, but Sean is very particular. Very happy to answer every question.
I learned that there are shops that don't want to mess with installing a solid roller cam, Sean will, just coordinating with Nic for the tune. Nic is about 2-3 weeks out, so the Camaro is getting closer to getting its mods.

Getting any time in at INDE? Planning on Cars In The Park?
Old 07-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #13
BigD6.6

Drives: 16 GMC Denali Dmax, 14 1LE, 10 SS
I had J&R do my cam and supercharger, extremely happy with the results. I would definitely recommend them. They actually referred me to Camaro5 and a couple of other Camaro clubs here in Phoenix. They do a lot of Camaro work. Now that they did mine I have been seeing quite a few Camaros rocking the J&R logo around here.
BigD6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #14
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
We are here to help in any way we can. Look at the omega events, shifts3ctor, texas invitational, etc. No one locally has more car's in those events and winning than us. We use Nic D to tune our stuff and his work speaks for itself, combine that with our attention to detail and background and you have a winning combo right there! If you decide to not use us though I would recommend Sean @ Top gear, he is good people and we have been friends for quite a long time now.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote