Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #1
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
First time using Adams H2O Guard and Gloss

I finally got a chance to use my Christmas present tonight and try out the new product on my Camaro. I was really excited to give it a try, because every comment I've seen has been really favorable.

I learned a lesson to pass on, unfortunately. I am admittedly an Adams fanboy and I love all of their stuff I've tried. I discovered the hard way tonight that an evening wash with 85% humidity and the sun setting is not the time for this product! Thank goodness I only spritzed the top surfaces and glass for starters. No amount of wiping will remove it and the car is a streaked mess. The dew was setting un on the car and theee was simply no way to dry it and buff it up. I used detail spray to get the rest done and know there is a speckled spotty zone between the two. I don't think it helped that the sprayer on this bottle lobbed a glop of the material in the center with every spritz, leading to over application of the stuff.

I have all the faith in the world it can be easily fixed and leveled out using the "dry" method tomorrow when the humidity is lower, but I wanted to share to spare others. I'm sure it will be fantastic, but this scenario is a no-go!

I would not recommend this product in high humidity.

UPDATE! So after sitting overnight in the garage next to my dehumidifier that runs out there, the car looks good! I will still re-apply using the dry method to get the entire car, but the top surfaces that looked so bad and I couldn't dry up evened out when the humidity went away. I never would have expected that, based on the way I was chasing the product and moisture in circles last night. Makes me wish I would have done the sides and just left it last night, even though it looked all blotchy and streaky. I would still not go after this in humidity like that again because it was more work than it is supposed to be, but all seems good now.

Last edited by chef-beavis; 08-03-2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Update!
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:59 AM   #2
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
A few tricks that should help.

The vehicle needs to still be wet from washing, if it has dried in places respray with water, or perform the dry method of application.

Do only one panel at a time and spray lightly. You only need a very little bit of product, too much and it'll streak.

When you spray the product from the bottle, give the sprayer a deliberate and complete forceful pull. This will help it atomize instead of squirting out.

Spread evenly with a wet microfiber after sprayed and wipe/buff with a dry microfiber.

Yea, it's a bit tricky at first, once you figure it out you'll be golden!
Old 08-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Thanks for your feedback and for being a Adam's customer.
Next time try just doing one panel at a time especially when working in the sun. And maybe use a little less product.
The H20 Guard & Gloss is a great product Please give it another try.

Thanks again!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
chef-beavis

I will use it, and tonight plan to do the dry app method a panel at a time, as I don't want to wet the entire car down again and chase jambs and wheels and all.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
chef-beavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
A few tricks that should help.

The vehicle needs to still be wet from washing, if it has dried in places respray with water, or perform the dry method of application.

Do only one panel at a time and spray lightly. You only need a very little bit of product, too much and it'll streak.

When you spray the product from the bottle, give the sprayer a deliberate and complete forceful pull. This will help it atomize instead of squirting out.

Spread evenly with a wet microfiber after sprayed and wipe/buff with a dry microfiber.

Yea, it's a bit tricky at first, once you figure it out you'll be golden!
Yeah, the car was wet; too wet. LOL The sun was down and I have a big row of trees to the west of my driveway so no light on it. That was the problem; the dew was setting in and I couldn't dry it no matter how many tries I made. I will definitely try the firmer spray and see if that helps. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
chef-beavis

I just re-watched that video. I definitely used less than Adam, but he has a warehouse full of product and I've noticed he always tends to be "generous" with the sprays, to put it mildly. I still think I had it too heavy.

I also never found a continuation of that video with the blower removing the trapped water. After that step, do you typically just wipe it down again with a dry double soft or do you touch up with the Guard n Gloss or Detail spray or???

thanks!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #7
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
I use G&G in Texas in ~95% humidity with no problems. It could have been because of the due forming.
The way I do mine is wash the car, then hose the whole thing down and just keep spraying water on it for a good 1-2 minutes. Then immediately toss the hose to the side and pull into the garage and begin the wet method. I have only had it streak a couple times, usually because I rush and don't pay attention. But a quick shot of detail spray cleans the streaks right up. G&G is one of the products I swear by

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
chef-beavis

the dew was relentless. by the time I rinsed the car, the entire canopy was forming a haze between the water drops.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #9
BRZN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I just re-watched that video. I definitely used less than Adam, but he has a warehouse full of product and I've noticed he always tends to be "generous" with the sprays, to put it mildly. I still think I had it too heavy.

I also never found a continuation of that video with the blower removing the trapped water. After that step, do you typically just wipe it down again with a dry double soft or do you touch up with the Guard n Gloss or Detail spray or???

thanks!
I won't use as much product as he does in that video. If I do that I'm bound to get some streaking. I also don't want to have to work as fast as he did in the video, chasing it before it dries! Lightly spry, wipe with a wet towel then wipe/buff dry.

After you finish there's no need to wipe the car down again. If I notice any streaks I might hit them with some Detail Spray on just the streak.

My guess with the continuation video he was going to demo the Metro Side Kick to blow the rest of the water out. The Safe Drying Video hits this, however, it's more geared for drying your vehicle after washing than after the application of his Guard & Gloss.

One other thing;
Make sure you shake the bottle regularly while using it to keep the product from separating.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
chef-beavis

Thanks, all! I'm sure it will be great without the dew. I'll try to level it all out tonight.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #11
chef-beavis

Did the front, sides, rear, and wheels tonight, using the dry method. Finished it up before the dew and it turned out awesome. Misted the tops with detail spray and wiped it down to make sure it was good. The car looks great!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:24 AM   #12
BRZN

Perfect!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Did the front, sides, rear, and wheels tonight, using the dry method. Finished it up before the dew and it turned out awesome. Misted the tops with detail spray and wiped it down to make sure it was good. The car looks great!
I am glad it worked out for you this time!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #14
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Check the dew point before using either method. Weatherforyou.com.
Allow ample time before dew begins to settle. Apply in shade.
Detail spray is not needed for HGG application/removal.

Having used both methods, and going through a gallon and a 16oz, I find the wet application is easier and safer.

Shake the bottle well before misting each panel.

Use 3 towels. Rag Company Everest 1100's work great. Keep 2 towels in the wet bucket, switching them out each panel.

This will prevent build up of product on the wet towel, allowing you to spread it evenly on each panel/section. The 1100's are very absorbent after being wrung out, so the dry towel will easily remove any left over water on the painted surface.

If you happen to have a streak, simply take the other wet towel, wring out, and activate the product by wiping it.

Streaks from HGG generally come from surface not being wet enough, or using too much product. If your working in the shade, but the temperature is such that the water is drying fast, use a spray bottle filled with distilled water to mist the section/panel before applying.

Don't forget to go over all the plastic trim. You can use it on glass as well.

On a just washed vehicle after rinsing, leave it wet, no pooling rinse.

Shake HGG and mist panel, wring out wet towel, spread, put wet towel in bucket underneath other wet towel, dry any remaining water. Repeat until car is complete.

It will add about 15 minutes to your normal 2 bucket wash/dry routine.

Durability varies depending upon how clean the surface is, if it needs claying, do this after rinsing, then rinse again and apply HGG.

Applying HGG on top of wax will have shorter longevity then applying over a sealant.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote