Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
New 1LE! -- Let's talk tranny noise

Hello all!

After 18 months of lurking, I finally pulled the trigger on a Red Hot 2014 1LE. I love it.

One thing I noticed on the drive home, the tranny is really loud until about 3000 RPMs. Sounds like a "growl" of sorts coming up through the console. Cannot be heard from outside (at least that I could tell). Not quite a rattle. Not there if you just rev the engine at a standstill, only when you engage the drivetrain. Reminds me of watching NASCAR in-car video when those beasts are at low RPM.

A quick search it would appear "normal," as many have mentioned it . . . and no one has piped in to say theirs was quiet as a mouse. So far, the tranny is otherwise smooth as butter, with no grinds or engagement issues.

This the nature of the LE or the Camaro SS in general? I'll be honest, part of me likes it -- sounds like the car is just chomping at the bit to go hard. Other part of me says I want to get a roll of dynomat and get working under the console

What say you guys?
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Our car has mid-17K miles on it. At no point did I ever notice this transmission being any louder than any other manual in a car. We have hod no noises that seem out of the ordinary except those caused by the idiot holding the wheel and pushing the pedals!

Edit: I would also like to note that I do not have the separate clutch reservoir.

Last edited by gajagfan; 07-25-2014 at 04:01 PM.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I didn't notice any kind of a "growl" at all! I didn't even turn the radio on for the first three days. When I got my car, I did install the separate clutch reservoir, but again no noise before or since, that I would consider not normal.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
No growl here either. I do get driveline clank at parking lot speeds.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Camarotobeornottobe

I think what I'm hearing is normal. Hard to tell - you can't even hear it with the sunroof open or a window down. I've heard it before in other trannies meant to handle high HP. I've found several threads that possibly hit on it, though it is hard to tell without hearing others.

I think the "second" noise is what I'm hearing, which a few piped in and said they had: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349218

Last edited by Camarotobeornottobe; 07-25-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Some trannies make noise, mine doesn't. I know my service manager personally.He was all set to have his guy take a customers tranny apart, but he drove a brand new 14, and it made noise too. They dont have any Camaros coming in for any tranny repair, unfortunately some just make noise.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
giant_g2

Drives: '13 1LE, '89 Caprice
Mine made a little noise when new. Seemed like the more I drove it, the quieter and smoother it got. It was never very loud to begin with. I changed the diff and trans fluids around 3500 miles. I will probably change it next year around 12000 miles just to put Red Line in it.
giant_g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Camarotobeornottobe

AdeDaMutt, I just read your thread, and it is on point with mine. Right down to the volume. I don't think most would even notice it, which makes me wonder if it is very common and no one has piped in because they didn't think it abnormal. There are numerous tranny noise threads you can find via Google for the Camaro, and it would be tough to know if the sounds are different or the same.

As I said before, it almost sounds like many of the high HP trannies I have driven in the past. I used to have a 700 HP Mustang 5.0 with a T-56 Magnum, and that tranny made a ton of racket until you got past 2000 RPM. I had it switched out under warranty (for the tranny by the high performance shop), and the second one made the same noise. The explanation I got: Your transmission has large gears meant to handle high torque and will makes such noises.

Giant_G2 might have heard the same sound, so I will just enjoy the car. I will say this . . . the tranny shifts wonderfully. No complaints there at all. I just got the car, so I hate to start getting paranoid over something that is within "normal characteristics." And I certainly wouldn't want anyone unnecessarily tearing into it when it shifts so well.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
1BadLE

Drives: '13 1SS 1LE
you're talking about the low rpm 'chatter box'. it's quite normal in the 1LE's, some more than others, but it only does it at low rpm's and it actually gets better with time i've got 18k miles on mine it still does it just not as bad
Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
don't hear a thing.. sorry, i only hear my npp with the fuse pulled out ! so much fun!
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Where did you guys buy the separate clutch reservoir and line? Someone have a kit?
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
Camarotobeornottobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadLE View Post
you're talking about the low rpm 'chatter box'. it's quite normal in the 1LE's, some more than others, but it only does it at low rpm's and it actually gets better with time i've got 18k miles on mine it still does it just not as bad
That makes me feel even better. Mine is low enough that, if it gets better, I won't hear it. I only have 300 miles on the car, and I'd swear it is already lower than when I drove it off the lot.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
Camarotobeornottobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
don't hear a thing.. sorry, i only hear my npp with the fuse pulled out ! so much fun!
I bet that pulling that fuse will drown out any low RPM tranny noise, normal or otherwise . . .
Old 07-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
Camarotobeornottobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeDaMutt View Post
Agreed. In fact, I have an appointment on Monday with service at my dealer that I plan to cancel. This is my first big V8 American car and I come from high performance turbo 4's and flat 6's. I'd bet people who are used to the big V8's would find some of the turbo 4 noises odd at first too!
I just want to get through the break in period so I can really experience some "noise".. followed by much maniacal laughter!

Grats on the new 1LE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm being self serving here, but keep the appt. Then, report back what they told you, in the interest of looking from all angles for anyone else with this noise. I bet you hear, "That's normal for a high HP tranny. The Corvettes do it."