Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-01-2023, 05:41 AM   #1
Vaddy

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS 2015
Designing New Intake Manifold

Hey guys, for you guys who don't know me, I am the one who was doing a turbo build and 3D Metal Printed headers over in the Forced Induction forum. So now discovering this new power, I now want to go ahead, design and 3D print a new intake manifold for the V6 while I wait for more 3d printed stuff. If you have seen SCAP custom intake manifold they did for the LLT engine I believe in 2010, that's what I am going to be modeling it after. I will keep this thread updated and I'll release the STL file for you guys to print it yourselves and any bolts you might need to buy. This will take a while so bear with me. I am starting today hence why I started this tread. I do have one or two questions tho. The LT1 and a few other GM engines have the same throttle body connector meaning you can theoretically fit a 100mm throttle body, so what's the biggest this engine could take without loosing power and that makes sense?
Vaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:00 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Neato.

Based on some quick info I found on the net, an NA 3.6 liter engine spinning at 7200 RPM tuned to the tits (let's say 110% volumetric efficiency) would require about 500 CFM of air. (Not sure how accurate that is as I'm currently seeing 2,250 lb/hr on the MAF which according to an online calculator translates to 500 SCFM, but I just started tuning these Mace cams and can't imagine I'm at 110% VE, or maybe I just got lucky ).

A 72mm throttle body is capable of around 700 CFM, a 76mm TB around 790, and an 80mm about 875 (give or take - again, just taking some quick info from the net and don't necessarily know what I'm talking about).

As far as forced induction goes, if we say 1 bar (~15 pounds) boost, or double the air flow required (just call it 1000 CFM - also depends if you spin past 7200 RPM, etc.), an 86mm TB would pass that much air, so let's say 90mm to account for the throttle blade. With that said, I have no idea what size TB's the boosted guys are running, and I'm pretty sure some have run 15 PSI boost with the 80mm TB.

Interesting nonetheless.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:56 PM   #3
Vaddy

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Neato.

Based on some quick info I found on the net, an NA 3.6 liter engine spinning at 7200 RPM tuned to the tits (let's say 110% volumetric efficiency) would require about 500 CFM of air. (Not sure how accurate that is as I'm currently seeing 2,250 lb/hr on the MAF which according to an online calculator translates to 500 SCFM, but I just started tuning these Mace cams and can't imagine I'm at 110% VE, or maybe I just got lucky ).

A 72mm throttle body is capable of around 700 CFM, a 76mm TB around 790, and an 80mm about 875 (give or take - again, just taking some quick info from the net and don't necessarily know what I'm talking about).

As far as forced induction goes, if we say 1 bar (~15 pounds) boost, or double the air flow required (just call it 1000 CFM - also depends if you spin past 7200 RPM, etc.), an 86mm TB would pass that much air, so let's say 90mm to account for the throttle blade. With that said, I have no idea what size TB's the boosted guys are running, and I'm pretty sure some have run 15 PSI boost with the 80mm TB.

Interesting nonetheless.
Good to know
Vaddy is offline   Reply With Quote