Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #673
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
No need for a lesson pal. Any human with half a brain can realize that's the way the economy in this country works.

I am referring to a consumer who actually doesn't mind the fact that we (consumers) have to pay the prices which are increase by (greedy) dealers when the manufacturer has already set a price for the product.

Good ol' American way of life. Rape the little guy (consumer) for everything they can.
That's the point, you don't have to pay it. If there is demand at that price point it will sell. If not the price will come down. They're just testing the market and a lot of times there is someone who will pay the premium.

And the manufactures set the INVOICE price they sell to the dealership. After that the dealership sets its own price. MSRP means nothing. Do you get upset when dealers sell below MSRP too?

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #674
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
There are very few that buy with a markup on the sticker.

I have never paid over MSRP and never will. If you plan on seriously buying a vehicle approach the dealer with either cash (highly unlikely) , or pre approved with a check in your hand. You have to be patient when the car is brand new, and have financing already.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #675
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Only dumbasses pay over MSRP. The problem is that dealers know that there are many dumbasses on this planet. Why fault the dealer?

The thing that really surprised me was the news that you can lease a Hellcat for around $570.00 dollars. You have to put 5 grand down but still. I could see many people going that route.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #676
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Actually the argument isn't so much what the dealers should or shouldn't be allowed to charge as much as who's customer is it really? The dealer doesn't build the car or have to pay for the warranty etc. from that point of view it is GM/Dodge/Fords customer and they have done the research and positioned the car to appeal and sell to a certain segment.

As a Canadian I don't mean to poke the whole USA free market thing but the rest of the world just doesn't operate to the degree of the supply and demand theory that you guys do. There is a balance somewhere in there where everyone can be happy and from the manufacturers point of view they have already built in a ROI into the price of the car. Dealers are expected to make additional profit through service, parts sales, extra service by creating a relationship with the customer through good customer service.

But, what generally happens is dealers piss off customers and then start trying to jack up MSRP's to gain additional profit and put the customers brand loyalty in danger by jacking prices. It's just not as easy as supply and demand in regards to car sales as it is much more complicated then that.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #677
Whos_Drivin

Theres always additional factors that come into play, but supply and demand is the main driver. Sure dealers have different pricing strategies for different reasons. And some people will avoid certain dealers for various reasons despite their price. But at the end of the day if there is a low supply any intelligent business person is going to expand their profit margin if possible. It might piss off some buyers who won't buy another vehicle from them, but that's their risk to take if they want. The only way customers can drive down prices is to not buy until its at a price you're willing to pay. Unless you like laws that restrict the free market, then contact your representatives.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #678
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Actually the argument isn't so much what the dealers should or shouldn't be allowed to charge as much as who's customer is it really? The dealer doesn't build the car or have to pay for the warranty etc. from that point of view it is GM/Dodge/Fords customer and they have done the research and positioned the car to appeal and sell to a certain segment.

As a Canadian I don't mean to poke the whole USA free market thing but the rest of the world just doesn't operate to the degree of the supply and demand theory that you guys do. There is a balance somewhere in there where everyone can be happy and from the manufacturers point of view they have already built in a ROI into the price of the car. Dealers are expected to make additional profit through service, parts sales, extra service by creating a relationship with the customer through good customer service.

But, what generally happens is dealers piss off customers and then start trying to jack up MSRP's to gain additional profit and put the customers brand loyalty in danger by jacking prices. It's just not as easy as supply and demand in regards to car sales as it is much more complicated then that.
Here is another guy that gets it. This supply and demand crap we've been fed in the USA is getting out of control. Many times it's used as an excuse to rape consumers. I believe it causes us to become the greedy society we are.

By the way I know I don't have to make the purchase at that price. That's beyond the point I was trying to make.

If you're a consumer and you're ok with dealers jacking up prices, in my opinion, you're insane.

Or you are one of those people that paid the "market adjusted price" and you're just trying to feel better about doing it.

Back to the topic at hand. Cars.

Last edited by Alain; 09-11-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #679
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Here is another guy that gets it. This supply and demand crap we've been fed in the USA is getting out of control. Many times it's used as an excuse to rape consumers. I believe it causes us to become the greedy society we are.

By the way I know I don't have to make the purchase at that price. That's beyond the point I was trying to make.

If you're a consumer and you're ok with dealers jacking up prices, in my opinion, your insane.

Or you are one of those people that paid the "market adjusted price" and you're just trying to feel better about doing it.

Point is that in a free market guys with money can bid up the price of the first cars. Better that than a system that controls pricing and ultimately availability.

Be happy that production isn't limited and you will get a chance to buy at or below MSRP once the hype settles down

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #680
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Point is that in a free market guys with money can bid up the price of the first cars. Better that than a system that controls pricing and ultimately availability.

Be happy that production isn't limited and you will get a chance to buy at or below MSRP once the hype settles down
I hear ya.

After selling my 2010 SS three weeks ago I had already decided to wait at least 2-3 years to see what GM, Dodge and Ford do with all their newly re-designed beasts. Then I'm making the leap.

Like you said, thank god none of these are going to be limited productions.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #681
Whos_Drivin

Quote:

If you're a consumer and you're ok with dealers jacking up prices, in my opinion, you're insane.

The only consumers getting "raped" are the ones who want too. Freedom of choice is yours.

The ZL1 and GT500 had the same supply/demand issue early on. I called 20+ dealers trying to find an allocation at MSRP and found none. Eventually one dealer called me back because they couldn't sell it at the mark up. Supply and demand at its finest. Now look at ZL1 prices...supply is high and prices are down. Same thing will happen with
the hellcat.

If supply and demand is "crap" you could make a killing selling your theory assuming its true. Make millions so you can throw away a $10k markup on a first year hellcat.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #682
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
The only consumers getting "raped" are the ones who want too. Freedom of choice is yours.

And if a person agrees to it, it's not rape.

When did the idea that businesses exist to perform a public service creep into our way of thinking?
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote