Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #1
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Some questions about buying a used "boosted" SS

I'm thinking about buying a used SS that's been pretty heavily built. The car was built by a reputable shop so that makes me feel a little better. The car has a Whipple charger along with a custom ground cam, long tube headers, blah, blah, blah.... They even redid the auto tranny which includes an aftermarket converter.

My worry is of course the longevity of the engine down the road. I can't help but to think about if this is something that could last me years as long as I take care of the car and of course don't abuse the power plant. I had a 2010 SS with a TVS2300 and it ran flawlessly for me for the two years I owned the car. The car I'm looking at goes even deeper of course with an aftermarket cam shaft.

So I just don't know. What's the general opinion about buying something that's already been heavily modified? Yah? Nah??????

Opinions please....
Old 01-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
If it's something you would do anyway, then why not. You likely aren't going to pay much more than the car would cost stock. I am doing the cam this winter as well. You Might want to add meth injection for some added safety. If you drive it easy it will last pretty much just as long as stock. The more you beat on it the more life you take from it. Put slicks on it be prepared to spend money on the driveline. If the tune is good it will last. The only thing i ever wonder is why someone spent all that money to build something then wants to sell it. Do they know something is wrong with the car and want to get out from under it ect... but there's lots of other reasons people sell, that's always a risk
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
JackLS1R1

Drives: 10 SS A6 Huron TT
I am all for buying a car that has mods I would plan on buying. Even if it was done wrong, I know I can make it right. The price has to be right though
JackLS1R1 is offline   Reply With Quote