Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #15
ksupkt87

Drives: 2014 Z/28
I had the dealer check my car last month before it came out of warranty. I also e-mailed the following to them:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/06/...15-camaro-z28/
They could not find a GM service bulletin even with the number mentioned above and checked the car over based on guidance from GM. They couldn't find anything. My car still makes the clunking noise occasionally when turning from a stop but I am not going to worry about it.
ksupkt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #16
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Thanks for the replies. I am beginning to think it is in the differential but since it seems to be common I will keep enjoying the car.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #17
serviceguy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 # 89, 69 Camaro, 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
I've noticed my car makes a 'clunk' sound when I make a fairly sharp turn right or left at low speed such as pulling into a driveway. It definitely seems to be coming from the rear.

It kind of sounds like it may be similar to what I read in this thread?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=rear+noise

It sounds like a 'clunk' of some sort and only does it once, almost like there is something that catches or binds? But, when I then straighten the car back out it does not 'un-clunk' either; it just does it when I make a sharp low speed turn.

When I make a more wide turn, no noise. The noise seems to be more prevalent when turning right. There is no discernible issue when going straight or backing. The car drives perfectly regardless but this weird clunk happens on most tight, right hand turns.

Any suggestions? I definitely would prefer to not have to take this to a dealer if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.
We had a Z/28 at the dealership with a very similar noise. A GM engineer came out to evaluate the vehicle. The noise was in the rear axle, there is a GM bulletin which states "moan" , not the case, the noise was a pop so bad it was transmitted and felt thru the entire vehicle. Bulletin below;

#14-04-20-001A: Moan from Rear Differential During Low Speed Tight Turn Maneuvers - (Dec 9, 2014)
Subject: Moan from Rear Differential During Low Speed Tight Turn Maneuvers
Models: 2014-2015 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
Some customers may comment on a moan coming from the rear end during low speed tight turn maneuvers.
The Chevrolet Z/28 Camaro was designed to be the ultimate track-capable Camaro and has features and equipment that are not shared with other Camaros.
As an example, power is distributed to the rear wheels via a limited-slip differential featuring a helical gear set, rather than traditional clutch packs. The new design enables the driver to apply more power and get through corners faster, by continuously adjusting the torque bias to maximize available traction.
The differential works in unison with Chevrolet’s proprietary Performance Traction Management system, which allows drivers to adjust the level of throttle and brake intervention to match their capability and driving environment.

Adding Friction Modifier to the Rear Differential to Reduce the Moan This is considered a normal characteristic refer to the information below ONLY if the customer desires to reduce the moan.
serviceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #18
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by serviceguy View Post
We had a Z/28 at the dealership with a very similar noise. A GM engineer came out to evaluate the vehicle. The noise was in the rear axle, there is a GM bulletin which states "moan" , not the case, the noise was a pop so bad it was transmitted and felt thru the entire vehicle. Bulletin below;

#14-04-20-001A: Moan from Rear Differential During Low Speed Tight Turn Maneuvers - (Dec 9, 2014)
Subject: Moan from Rear Differential During Low Speed Tight Turn Maneuvers
Models: 2014-2015 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
Some customers may comment on a moan coming from the rear end during low speed tight turn maneuvers.
The Chevrolet Z/28 Camaro was designed to be the ultimate track-capable Camaro and has features and equipment that are not shared with other Camaros.
As an example, power is distributed to the rear wheels via a limited-slip differential featuring a helical gear set, rather than traditional clutch packs. The new design enables the driver to apply more power and get through corners faster, by continuously adjusting the torque bias to maximize available traction.
The differential works in unison with Chevrolet’s proprietary Performance Traction Management system, which allows drivers to adjust the level of throttle and brake intervention to match their capability and driving environment.

Adding Friction Modifier to the Rear Differential to Reduce the Moan This is considered a normal characteristic refer to the information below ONLY if the customer desires to reduce the moan.
It definitely is not any sort of sustained noise like a 'moan' - it is a distinct clunk/pop/etc that only occurs on a very tight turn so I'm fairly sure it has to be the differential only because it doesn't matter if I'm entering an inclined driveway etc. A right or left turn at a light (more often a right turn) will cause the noise and you can almost feel it in the vehicle.

Could it be the Torsen releasing suddenly to unlock the axles? It does not make any sort of sound when the turn is completed and I am going straight again. And, if I make a turn and hear the sound, go straight and make another turn, it usually makes this clunk again. I can't see how this could be in the body but I am not sure.

But - it does sound common based on replies here.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #19
Fedzl1

Drives: Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
Yeah, my noise is a sharp click on flat surface turning at low speed. Mines not a body 'oil canning' issue.

Keep in mind the Z/28 does not have the same rear as the ZL1. Those have clutch type LSD and these cars have Torsten (sp?) type rears. Additive probably won't make a difference, shouldn't anyway.

Dealer will tell you it's normal if it's the same noise I have.
I took my car to the dealer for same noise, they pull document from GM website saying that the car rear noise is due to the rear differential race design. The noise is normal, they recommend changing stock differential oil but noise still remains.