Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #29
Lord Grey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
It looks like it is mounted in the right spot, but the center looks like it is higher then the fascia. The proper mounting is just below the radius of the fascia at center then it will have a gradual downward slant out to the sides.

Also if you "paint to match" the ground effect its suppose to void the warranty of the ground effects. GM only supports the factory grey color. (09-08-51-002)
It may not be clear from the pics, but the top of the GFX is on top of the fascia's lip, not under it, all the way across the front. That didn't seem to agree with the earlier pics.

Oh, and I'm well aware of voiding the warranty. I did that gladly. Body-matched GFX is just awesome.
Lord Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grey View Post
It may not be clear from the pics, but the top of the GFX is on top of the fascia's lip, not under it, all the way across the front. That didn't seem to agree with the earlier pics.

Oh, and I'm well aware of voiding the warranty. I did that gladly. Body-matched GFX is just awesome.
The center should be just under the radiaus of the fascia, the rest of it will gradualy move further down as you work it out to the sides. Like ffrcobra_65 stated, it almost looks like they started from the sides instead of the center.

I agree about the Body match , it does make it look much better.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #31
Lord Grey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
You guys are probably right about the dealer's installation. I'm not particularly worried about any of this, I just thought it looked different than Camaro X's install. To be honest, I don't think mine could come off due to high frontal wind, given the way it's attached. May look a little odd, but it seems sturdy and you don't see the gap unless you look pretty close.
Lord Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #32
SSMOKN
Coupe

Drives: Camaro,955I
I also have the gap... I wonder if it was installed right

Anyone have the instructions?
SSMOKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #33
thiggin2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupé View Post
I also have the gap... I wonder if it was installed right

Anyone have the instructions?
Yes, but its 15 pages for the entire GFX.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #34
Camaro X

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Mine was actually installed about 1/4" below the top of the lower facia lip. There were no rivets installed in the front. That was the problem. It's covered under warantee. I just have to wait for the replacement. They took the damaged one off so I can drive without a bungee cord. There is also a bracket with two rivets on each in front of the tire. I like them painted also, but I think when they are unpainted they look good with dark stripes.

Camaro X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #35
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro X View Post
Mine was actually installed about 1/4" below the top of the lower facia lip. There were no rivets installed in the front. That was the problem. It's covered under warantee. I just have to wait for the replacement. They took the damaged one off so I can drive without a bungee cord. There is also a bracket with two rivets on each in front of the tire. I like them painted also, but I think when they are unpainted they look good with dark stripes.

DJ ATomix, there is the side mounting thingy I was talking about. There is one on each side in addition to the front rivets. No no no, I am not talking about the bottom rivets that you can see under the front cladding. The front rivets are installed behind the front lip and dealer has to remove the entire front fascia OFF THE CAR to install the front rivets that you can not see. If these front rivets are not installed, the front piece will eventually give and drag on the road.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #36
AZ2SSRS

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
that gap in the center...looked like your dealer worked from the sides to the center/middle so they ended up with a "slack" in the center that they dried to massage.
I agree. If the dealer mounts from side to center, there is a bit of space. Despite the installation instructions, the dealer really needs to work from the middle front to the sides during the install process.
AZ2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #37
thiggin2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2SSRS View Post
I agree. If the dealer mounts from side to center, there is a bit of space. Despite the installation instructions, the dealer really needs to work from the middle front to the sides during the install process.
If the dealer installed per the instructions they would have started in the center and worked outwards.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #38
Busy_Boi
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: RJT 2010 camaro 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Busy_Boi
I had a problem with my front GFX it came of on the freeway took the car back to the dealer and they told me that it is a nation wide problem and that GM has re-made the front spoiler because of this they have replace my front spoiler with the new version I thank if you are having a problem take it back to your dealer it is under warranty.
Busy_Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #39
capebretoner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
car goes back to the dealer today for the third time to have the GFX re installed, third GFX piece, n their finally going to install the rivits through the front lip hopefully they get it right this time, tired of having the car tied up in the shop
capebretoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #40
capebretoner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
most of the dealers are clueless about this, the regional manager here claimed to be un aware of there even being a problem with the gfx kits.
capebretoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #41
thiggin2

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoner View Post
most of the dealers are clueless about this, the regional manager here claimed to be un aware of there even being a problem with the gfx kits.
Well from what I have read so far and from my experiance on installing the GFX, it sounds like most of the problems are because the dealer isn't installing them per the instructions and putting in the front rivets.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #42
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
Well from what I have read so far and from my experiance on installing the GFX, it sounds like most of the problems are because the dealer isn't installing them per the instructions and putting in the front rivets.

there are rivets that need to be mounted/drilled through the front lip from behind and the only way this is done is by removal of the front fascia. Some dealers are cutting the corners on this very critical installation step so their employees are not tied up longer on a low profit job. The removal of the front fascia and installation of the front rivets and are the last steps on the installation instructions for the front piece.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote