Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Broffermoon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Wow, such controversy over a great upgrade! Sorry to all who had trouble. My install was pretty straight forward. I have a basic knowledge of DC wiring. I have worked on cars all my adult life even with the points and condensers in old distributors. I love the lights and feel that they are great safety additions. Since I put in the lights, I have not had someone miss my brake lights or wonder which way I was going. Besides, the judges love the lights when I fire up the show circuit. Got a trophy to prove it.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I've had my Technostalgia lights since they first came out and I love them as well! Took me about 45min's to do the install and I have no regrets with them. If I had to do it all over again, I would. I think the hardest part of the install is getting the bezels out which I figured out a way to do that easily after the first one and the other deal is getting that little hex nut on the outer side of the lights. I can be a beyatch but if you have on some latex gloves it seems to allow for better grip, especially dealing with the bezels.
I also just added the JDP color changing halos and this is a sweet mod as well! I know have all LED lights on my car with exception of my reverse lights.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
Dragon Tats

Drives: 2010 Black LT1
I installed mine a few weeks ago and NO issues. I did call tech support though regarding their terminology of "white stripe" and "ramp" which was included in the supplemental instructions. And if that polarity wasn't followed correctly those individual lamps wouldn't work. Maybe a possible issue/fix??
Dragon Tats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
D20136

Drives: Black LS
Great info everyone, ordering these soon and all this info will be helpfull.
D20136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #19
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
No disrespect, but I am 21 and I know nothing about wiring and it took me 45 minutes to install these. I was afraid at first, but it was actually quite simple. The only thing that sucks is getting those damn bezels out. After that it is a breeze. No splicing, no t-taping (which I have not acquired skills for).

I've had these tail lights for well over a year and they are fantastic. Have I had a issue? Sure! Did Technostalgia make it right? Yes!

Every product is due to have it's issues once in awhile. Give it a chance.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
I want these but I keep hearing how painful the install is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

It's really not a pain at all. Trust me. I thought the exact same thing.

-Perhaps it is time for someone to make a install video of this.. If I can pay (or take him on a joy ride in Naynay) a neighborhood kid to hold my iPhone to record my progress I can make this challenge a reality.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #22
Schmidty
Facebook.com/SoCalCamaro5

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChriSS84 View Post
Yet another complaint. I'll be staying away from these lights.
My install wasn't bad at all and the lights are great! Sure it can be a little tight down there but a little patience goes a long way. The only down side is that they are popular and so there is a wait to get them. Remember that for the most part you only from those that had issues...by no means does that mean the majority have these issues. OP said most people do and I would bet my Camaro most people don't. No disrespect to the OP. But if it scares you away from purchasing them, well, to each their own. I love mine and love watching the expressions on the face of the people behind me when I step on the brakes!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #23
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali4nia58 View Post
My install wasn't bad at all and the lights are great! Sure it can be a little tight down there but a little patience goes a long way. The only down side is that they are popular and so there is a wait to get them. Remember that for the most part you only from those that had issues...by no means does that mean the majority have these issues. OP said most people do and I would bet my Camaro most people don't. No disrespect to the OP. But if it scares you away from purchasing them, well, to each their own. I love mine and love watching the expressions on the face of the people behind me when I step on the brakes!
That's what she said :laugh above:

Sorry had to do it

You are right though. It can be difficult, but if you take your time and read the directions it'll be a smooth process.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #24
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
I found out about these a couple days ago. I wish I had more $$$.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #25
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
It would be great if someone had a DIY on it...that would help to alleviate aprehension.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
Broffermoon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
It would be great if someone had a DIY on it...that would help to alleviate aprehension.
Go to Apex website. They have the instructions there. I went through the instructions before I bought them. Helpful, lots of pictures....I believe I made the right decision. Love the lights.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #27
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
I think we are missing the point, THE LIGHTS ARE AWSOME!! but what lacks, is why the QA problems??? Wires dis-connected, Leaks, Resistors, Wiring problems.....

I have a set of them, I love the looks, but every problem I had, I had to do the leg work to fix them. At $400 dollars I would expect more QA period.

Again, love the lights, had/have some issues, still not resolved, not bad mouthing, expected more.

What if you had these problems???

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #28
Rollar

Drives: 2012 Convertible 2SS 45th Anny
The lights are amzaing. But there are some quality control issues. While I haven't had the water issues others have had, I had other issues. In 3 of the 4 taillights, I have several individual lights not working.

I called Todd and he will be shipping me a new set, problem is due to supply/demand issues this return is going to take several weeks. More waiting for such an awesome mod. In a recent trip out to dinner I had a guy in a nice pickup come up and ask about them.

Hope to have the new ones soon!

And to the install comments, just my opionion. If I can fit my big hands in and replace them on my convertible, anyone can. I recommend a pair of Gorrila Gloves that I picked up from Walmart, not only did they save my hands from getting cut up but they helped gripping the nuts so you dont loose them in the bumper.
Rollar is offline   Reply With Quote