Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Smile I should have bought a manual!!!

Today was the 4th of July, didn't think my local Chevy dealer would even have open doors but I went on in and talked to some tech guys I knew worked there, and met up with a salesman and talked them into letting me test drive a jet black Grand-Sport(manual). And all I have got to say is "OMG...sweet Jesus". I love that car! It handles very good! And is scary fast! To say today was my first time driving a manual, the salesman told me I handled that bad boy like I did this before; I said, I watch alot of Motor Trend lol.

I just kept in mind, the clutch is like putting the car in neutral to disengage the selected gear from the engine in order to switch", and I did just fine! It's sooo simple! I may not have the physics of the technical aspect of how it actually does work down pack, but I damn sure can drive it. The speed and instantaneous take off is amazing. I kinda didn't want to get back in my automatic. On the way home I was switching back and forth from Drive to Sport Mode just to feel like I had a manual!! rofl!

I tell you guys,....when Im in the market for a new car, .....the Corvette, I will definitely be getting a manual transmission. It's fun and get's alot more rear-wheel horsepower.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
RunningOnEmpty

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
It definitely is world's different from an automatic.

I was coming from an automatic right before I got my Camaro and I wouldn't settle for anything other than the manual. It's my first manual car and I'm so glad I made that choice!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
but....but......remote start?
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
IamJacksCamaro

Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
My Camaro is a manual. Most cars I have bought are manual transmission. I was raised on econoboxes, and automatics really sap the power. So manuals were a good compensation for the lack of power.
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Nothing like dropping the clutch at 5K rpm.... with the front wheels turned.

Manual FTW.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Spoken like a true 14 year old
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Old 07-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
x 2!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Today was the 4th of July, didn't think my local Chevy dealer would even have open doors but I went on in and talked to some tech guys I knew worked there, and met up with a salesman and talked them into letting me test drive a jet black Grand-Sport(manual). And all I have got to say is "OMG...sweet Jesus". I love that car! It handles very good! And is scary fast! To say today was my first time driving a manual, the salesman told me I handled that bad boy like I did this before; I said, I watch alot of Motor Trend lol.

I just kept in mind, the clutch is like putting the car in neutral to disengage the selected gear from the engine in order to switch", and I did just fine! It's sooo simple! I may not have the physics of the technical aspect of how it actually does work down pack, but I damn sure can drive it. The speed and instantaneous take off is amazing. I kinda didn't want to get back in my automatic. On the way home I was switching back and forth from Drive to Sport Mode just to feel like I had a manual!! rofl!

I tell you guys,....when Im in the market for a new car, .....the Corvette, I will definitely be getting a manual transmission. It's fun and get's alot more rear-wheel horsepower.
Sounds like you had fun driving the C6.. Remember a few things here:

1. The Salesman going to tell you what you want to hear as long as you buy the car so take the driving comment with a grain of salt . Not saying your can't drive a stick but; I tune out sales people when I'm looking at new cars because most are going to tell you what you want to hear. Goal is to get you to trade.

2. The Corvette is about 500 pounds lighter and has a few more ponys under the hood. I have driven the 6M and auto Corvette and apples to apples you don't feel that much if any diff in the power.

3. I agree it's going to come down to what you like and how much traffic you deal with in your car vs fun factor, I just don't care to shift gears anymore. Had several cars over the year with manual but now I'm ready to set back and let the car do the work or go to paddle mode. With the way autos are built today and with both being 6 speed it comes down to what you enjoy.

One other thing, go rent a manual for a few days and drive it and see if at the end of the rental you still want to give up your auto. If you do than it time to trade.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-05-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Nothing like dropping the clutch at 5K rpm.... with the front wheels turned.

Manual FTW.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
x 2!

I will not Post on Camaro5 while intoxicated. I will not Post on Camaro5 while intoxicated. I will not Post on Camaro5 while intoxicated.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
LS1owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS- SOLD!!
I drove a LS3 Corvette on a test drive a while ago, and it is one smooth powerful car. It was an auto and it was still super fast. I think its a different thing from a Camaro as much as I love Camaro, the vette is 2 doors, small and furious.
LS1owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
Gangster
Camaro Crazy

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM/Grey M6
I never likes corvettes, When im in my camaro I want the ride to be longer, I drive slower so I dont have to get out as soon. Theres like the calmest feeling and its so comfortable I just curl up in it. Nothing else seems important than a cruise in my gen5. AM I NUTS?
Gangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
I will not Post on Camaro5 while intoxicated. I will not Post on Camaro5 while intoxicated. I will not Post on Camaro5 while intoxicated.
Looks like you just did!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
My age transformation based on outside influence:
Short hair cut=30 years old
Putting a ball cap on backwards= 22 years old
Driving my M-6 SS Camaro=16 years old

Last edited by superstockcam; 07-05-2010 at 12:01 PM.
superstockcam is offline   Reply With Quote