Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
zl1_tommy

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Question Odd issue - steering wheel/alignment off - Feedback appreciated!

Hello everyone,

Owner of a '17 ZL1...

Having an odd issue recently with my alignment/steering wheel being off center.

Recently when backing into a parking spot I heard/felt this clunk from the front of my car. I honestly didn't think much of it, thought maybe I ran over a rock or something. However, when I got back in the car a couple hours later my steering wheel was off center like 15-20 degrees. Very annoying! Car drove straight, just the wheel was off.

So naturally I took it to the dealer. They did an alignment, wheel was back centered. Very next day I was driving and noticed the steering wheel way off! I took it back, and they were perplexed as well. They did an alignment, but contacted GM as well to get their take.

But GM said they would not assist because I had aftermarket (BMR) springs. Unless I put the stock springs back on, they would not assist in resolving this issue or spend any time on it. So, I received no support from GM. The dealer did the 2nd alignment, and gave the car back to me without knowing what the root cause is.

So I have had two alignments, and currently car is tracking straight/steering wheel is straight. However I am afraid that any moment now things could go back off track.

Any earthly idea what is going on? HELP!

Last edited by zl1_tommy; 11-27-2017 at 12:57 PM.
zl1_tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
show7ime

Drives: 2017 1SS Summit White
So... it’s fine now after you swapped back from aftermarket springs to stock? Think you answered your own question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
show7ime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
zl1_tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by show7ime View Post
So... it’s fine now after you swapped back from aftermarket springs to stock? Think you answered your own question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apologies, that was unclear. GM said they would not offer any technical support unless I switched back to stock springs. However, knowing many Gen 6/ZL1 drivers that use the BMR springs that have no issues I thought this would be a waste of time and money. I don't think that is the root cause.

So as of now I have the BMR springs on still.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Happened to me... Switched the front wheels to the other side and the car tracked straight again. Worth a try, should only take you a few minutes.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #5
zl1_tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
Happened to me... Switched the front wheels to the other side and the car tracked straight again. Worth a try, should only take you a few minutes.
Wait, you just took the wheel that was on the left and put it on the right? I don't get how that would help?
Old 11-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #6
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_tommy View Post
Wait, you just took the wheel that was on the left and put it on the right? I don't get how that would help?
Tire pull. Cross rotating can solve strange front alignment issues if one tire has some sort of "fault" if you will, over the other. Give it a try it might cure it. Or, if the wheel goes the other way, I'd say you could have a bad tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
zl1_tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Tire pull. Cross rotating can solve strange front alignment issues if one tire has some sort of "fault" if you will, over the other. Give it a try it might cure it. Or, if the wheel goes the other way, I'd say you could have a bad tire.
I don't see how it would be a tire. The wheel is completely off center but car drives straight as an arrow.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:18 AM   #8
Chris Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_tommy View Post
I don't see how it would be a tire. The wheel is completely off center but car drives straight as an arrow.
Tommy did you get this figured out?
Chris Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote