Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Another "wont start" thread

Long story short...Came back out to my car at the gas station and put the key in and the car wouldn't do anything. Had the DIC tell me to do the window reset procedure as if the car had died. I checked the battery cables and both were fine. The ground cable is new and the battery is a year old. Thankfully there was a AAA truck next to me so I asked him for a jump. He put on the box and the same nothing happened.

He left and I started checking fuses related to the ignition and starter and fuel system. They all appeared to be fine. So I left the car and got an Uber to work down the street. Sitting here now and thinking back realizing that when the key went to the on position for the ignition, the car didn't sound like it was priming the fuel pump nor was it making the chiming noises like it should. The regular door ding would be going and just shut off and everything pretty much black out. The gauges also didn't do the thing where they move across and back before turning on.

Leads me to believe it definitely isn't the battery and isn't the clutch ignition switch nor the starter. Before I have the car towed home, does anyone know if this may be one of the relays that I cant check on my own in a parking lot? And if so, which one and can I get it anywhere (just in case dealership is closed by the time I get back to the car)?
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I'd start by connecting a voltmeter to the terminals under the hood to see if it shows around 12.7 volts. There is a ground stud for the negative near the air cleaner box.
And then use the positive post under the red plastic cap. A battery showing only 12 volts is less than 50% charged.
Leaving the voltmeter hooked up I'd then attempt to turn on headlights etc. and watch the voltmeter (engine off since it won't start anyway).
How many miles on the 2010?
The Camaro has electrical power management/battery load protection.
Regualtor/Alternator or starter ever been replaced?
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 11-04-2016 at 09:18 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
I'd start by connecting a voltmeter to the terminals under the hood to see if it shows around 12.7 volts. There is a ground stud for the negative near the air cleaner box.
And then use the positive post under the red plastic cap.
Leaving the voltmeter hooked up I'd then turn on headlights etc. and watch the voltmeter.
How many miles on the vehicle?
Regualtor/Alternator or starter ever been replaced?
Ron
Starter was replaced this year with a mini starter. Alternator has not been but I haven't had issues with it not charging the battery so I've left it alone so far. If the volts doesn't read 12.7 are you hinting towards battery related issues and not an ignition relay?
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
if the jump box didn't work, it's not the battery.

the odd sounds and stuff makes it sound like a loose connection. check the positive connection (remove and clean).

the fact you put in a mini starter raises eyebrows. aftermarket stuff seems to cause lots of problems
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
Starter was replaced this year with a mini starter. Alternator has not been but I haven't had issues with it not charging the battery so I've left it alone so far. If the volts doesn't read 12.7 are you hinting towards battery related issues and not an ignition relay?
Measuring the voltage at the two points I mentioned will check that the vehicle ground connection is good (or not) plus will also ensure full voltage is getting through the harness up to front of car; trying to turn on lights etc. will put a load on the battery/wiring system and then you can observe voltage under load at those two measuring points.
As mentioned, Camaro has electrical power management/battery load protection so it can make things "act strange" when electrical system is out of kilter.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
What is a mini-starter? And why would you want a tiny starter?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote