Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #491
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellringer View Post
Haven't even got my car yet, But I'm willing to try anything if I encounter this kind of problem as mentioned earlier in this post.
It just amazes me of all the different things you can find around here..
Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #492
eddie SS
ALWAYS A MARINE......!!!

Drives: 2010 camaro IOM/2SS/RS/sunroof
Send a message via AIM to eddie SS
I just wanted to report the results of my fuse pull. I have about 750 miles on my camaro. I pulled the fuses about 11pm last night and put them back in about 12pm. I just took a short drive to work, roughly about 12 miles(highway). I opened her up a bit and VROOOOM.... WOW, she took off like a bat outta hell. I had it in sport mode, so the rpm stood revving kind of high when I accelerated hard and then let off. But I quickly found out why... This Porsche cayenne S turbo came out of nowhere and passed me on my right. Again, the revs were sitting high. So I stepped on the gas and VROOOOM.... She planted her hips and there I went, right past the Porsche. For the record, I wasn't trying to road race. I quickly slowed her down and continued cruising at speed. But when the Porsche caught up, I got a thumbs up. It felt sooo good.

Mods so far: SOLO Performance MACH XL cat-back exhaust, NOWEEDS exhaust diverters, Tinted windows, gas cap decal, bow tie black outs, Cold Air Inc CAI, Eibach Pro kit lowering springs

Mods I have but not installed yet: rear trunk black out, Diablosport Trinity

Future Mods: ARH long tube w/ high flow cats or Dynatech's SuperMaXX long tube w/ high flow cats, Maggie S/C
eddie SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #493
ToFast

Drives: Fast
Just did the rest. I'll leave it over night.
ToFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #494
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Well, curiosity won again. I just pulled my 5 and 20.

I've got 950 miles right now.
Up till this point, I get a slight chirp out of my tires on a WOT stomp in "D" or "S" mode.
I think my acceleration is great, but I need a timed run to confirm.
My gas mileage has been averaging ~17.5 mixed on each tank of 91 octane.

I tried the other traction modes with WOT today:
I got about 3 chirps at the stomp from TC only off and "Competition Mode" (double tap)
Strangely, I got a more noticeable 4 chirps or so of the tires after holding the button down and turning both TC and Stabilitrack OFF.
Temps were ~76 deg.

I'm gonna plug em back in tomorrow and do the same runs on the same road and I'll post the results.

I have a feeling that some of you are getting more tire spin due to your higher miles on your original tires, but you aren't necessarily getting faster acceleration. Guess I'll never know, cause i don't have an original times run to compare to. Stay tuned...
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #495
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanandGreen View Post
Well, curiosity won again. I just pulled my 5 and 20.

I've got 950 miles right now.
Up till this point, I get a slight chirp out of my tires on a WOT stomp in "D" or "S" mode.
I think my acceleration is great, but I need a timed run to confirm.
My gas mileage has been averaging ~17.5 mixed on each tank of 91 octane.

I tried the other traction modes with WOT today:
I got about 3 chirps at the stomp from TC only off and "Competition Mode" (double tap)Strangely, I got a more noticeable 4 chirps or so of the tires after holding the button down and turning both TC and Stabilitrack OFF.
Temps were ~76 deg.

I'm gonna plug em back in tomorrow and do the same runs on the same road and I'll post the results.

I have a feeling that some of you are getting more tire spin due to your higher miles on your original tires, but you aren't necessarily getting faster acceleration. Guess I'll never know, cause i don't have an original times run to compare to. Stay tuned...
Competative mode is TC on and Stabilitrac off. That would explain a longer tire spin on your last run, everything off. To turn TC off you just tap once. To turn Stabilitrac off you tap twice = (Competitive mode). To turn everything off you press and hold for 7-10 seconds.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #496
PQ
Booooosted.

Ok guys let us know your results. If you all remember I was one of the first to pull the fuses and am the one who really blew this thing open. I say that to report in on how my car is doing.

Yesterday I ran a 4.86 0-60, and a 13.08 quarter mile. Weather is a lot cooler at night now so I'm really getting my best times. Car is still running great. Never had another problem after the fuse pull.

And remember, time your cars before and after and you'll really understand the difference if you are on the low fuel table to start.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #497
OBSSEST

This is crazy, but the fuse pull lit a fire under my L99!

The proof is on the asphalt down the road. I'll take some pictures of the rubber and post them (once I figure out how) for any of you naysayers. Like I said before, I've had a few chirps out of my tires before, but after spinning them for a couple seconds today I got scared and let off.

Can't tell if my acceleration is better, cause I think it was always good, but the tire spin is definitely something NEW after the fuse pull.

***IMPORTANT*** I paid very close attention to everything the car did after replacing the fuses, and noticed some very strange things:

1.) The first turn of the key caused the engine to start and momemtarily rev much higher than normal. Then the idle settled down to normal and was smooth as ever.

2.) I immediately noticed a weird loud ticking noise inside the dash area and thought "OH, SH**!" , I screwed something up. It was a very mechanical electric sound like a loud second hand on a clock and ticked for about every 1-1.5 seconds while I let the engine warm up for 5 minutes. Almost sounded like a vacuum pump pulsing. It was in the area behind the center vents or dash gauges but I couldn't pinpoint. Something was definitely resetting or recalibrating itself. As I drove out of my neeighborhood the noise continued for a couple minutes then stopped completely.

3.) I stopped briefly in order to reset my MPG computer. While scrolling the menu, I noticed that the Tire pressure screen now had an option at the bottom to "PRESS SET TO CLEAR" at the bottom, so I pushed it. The horn honked twice, scared the hell out of me, and then the screen read that it was "LEARNING". After a few minutes, it went away and showed the tire pressure like normal. I assume it was recalibrating the tire pressure sensors. Didn't think the fuse pull would affect this system, but there was never an option to reset it before. Weird.

4.) Driving to a safe open road, I thought the car was more responsive to light throttle than before but this could be psychological.

The burnout really confirms for me that something is happening here. GM better get a grip on the ECU retarding high performance cars. We shouldn't have to be pulling fuses. I don't intend to regularly roast my tires, but I want to know that the power is there when I push the pedal.

I drove over to a buddy's house who has an LS3, explained this 500 post thread to him, and then pulled his 5 and 20. He's going to test after 6 hours or so. He's been disappointed with his performance and hopes to see some results, as well.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #498
eddie SS
ALWAYS A MARINE......!!!

Quote:
This is crazy, but the fuse pull lit a fire under my L99!

The proof is on the asphalt down the road. I'll take some pictures of the rubber and post them (once I figure out how) for any of you naysayers. Like I said before, I've had a few chirps out of my tires before, but after spinning them for a couple seconds today I got scared and let off.
How did you spin them??? From a dead stop? Were you in drive or sport mode? Did you hold the brake,etc,ect? Just curious. Thanks.

Mods so far: SOLO Performance MACH XL cat-back exhaust, NOWEEDS exhaust diverters, Tinted windows, gas cap decal, bow tie black outs, Cold Air Inc CAI, Eibach Pro kit lowering springs

Future Mods: ARH long tube w/ high flow cats or Dynatech's SuperMaXX long tube w/ high flow cats, Maggie S/C
Old 10-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #499
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I can spin them from a dead stop just by taking foot off brake and hitting the gas. Brake standing is not good for the engine, brakes and tranny. So I prefer not to do burn outs that way.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #500
OBSSEST

Just used "M" in Sport mode and Trac. Control off. Let off brake then stomped on the gas. No brake stand.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #501
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
2.) I immediately noticed a weird loud ticking noise inside the dash area and thought "OH, SH**!" , I screwed something up. It was a very mechanical electric sound like a loud second hand on a clock and ticked for about every 1-1.5 seconds while I let the engine warm up for 5 minutes. Almost sounded like a vacuum pump pulsing. It was in the area behind the center vents or dash gauges but I couldn't pinpoint. Something was definitely resetting or recalibrating itself. As I drove out of my neeighborhood the noise continued for a couple minutes then stopped completely.
Probably your Tac. Mine is 'sticking' and it makes this same sound. The more it sticks the louder the ticking. I just haven't gone to replace it. Most of the time it works fine but just hesitates like it WANTS to stick and has just enough 'give' to move. But I've determined that the ticking is the tac trying to stick.

Unless your's is somehting different.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #502
AntiVnm

Drives: '10 IBM Camaro
for the people who want proof in numbers...my best was 13.93 @ 103 before the pull and 13.30 @ 106 after the pull. thanks to scott and randy for gettin this thing figured out and the infomation to us. i was skeptical at first but the numbers dont lie

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=CLIP0006.flv
Dynateck 1 7/8 headers, CAI intake, Nitto DR, 3:73 Richmond gears, Vigilante 2800 stall converter, tune

AntiVnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #503
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiVnm View Post
for the people who want proof in numbers...my best was 13.93 @ 103 before the pull and 13.30 @ 106 after the pull. thanks to scott and randy for gettin this thing figured out and the infomation to us. i was skeptical at first but the numbers dont lie

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=CLIP0006.flv
Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #504
eddie SS
ALWAYS A MARINE......!!!

I drive about 70% of the time in sport mode. My driving is 90% street(city). I'm getting around 8.3 to 9.1 mpg. That's insane. I had a 06 Tahoe Z71 w/ the 5.3 V8 & tow ratio settings and I would get 9.0 to 9.5 mpg city. I expected my big truck to get horrible gas mileage but not my new 2010 camaro SS. When I first picked it up I had to drive about 410 miles to get home and I average about 24.5 on the highway, 14.5- 15 city mpg. I did the fuse pull and now I'm averaging 8.5. What gives...?? My driving habits didn't change, same level of accelerations and all. Can anyone please help..? I did notice that when I inserted the fuses again, I pushed them all the way down and now they sit a little lower than the rest. Could that be an issue???