Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
This was the review that alerted me to the poor visibility. Again, I'll have to see for myself on that front. I mean poor FORWARD visibility? I don't care what anyone says, THAT is not cool. Hopefully raising the seat up a few inches solves that.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Uggghhh. All my fun driving is on twisty, narrow two laners. The G8 is said to feel like it magically shrinks in the turns. Edmunds says the Camaro feels even bigger than it is in the turns. Now this is two reviews saying the same thing. I think I'm out of luck. It also doesn't help that apparently the interior quality won't be an upgrade for me. Not good. Not good at all.
One of the reviews specifically mentioned the Camaro interior being much better than the Cobalt.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #17
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT soon
Quote:
Uggghhh. All my fun driving is on twisty, narrow two laners. The G8 is said to feel like it magically shrinks in the turns. Edmunds says the Camaro feels even bigger than it is in the turns. Now this is two reviews saying the same thing. I think I'm out of luck. It also doesn't help that apparently the interior quality won't be an upgrade for me. Not good. Not good at all.
Stov, I've seen you pretty concerned about these reviews. Don't let them bring you down, the Camaro is an awesome car! Honestly, just read them, smile about the positive, and wait until you can see one in real life to prove the negative wrong.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Not too worried about visibility. I do agree that FORWARD visibility is ..........kinda important. lol

I have grow to be mostly dependant on using my mirrors and I stay aware of my position in traffic. It's mainly the reverse that would be the problem but It'll just take a bit to 'know' the car. I think it will be fine.

BTW, did I mention that I haven't even seen this car in person. lol
Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Not too worried about visibility. I do agree that FORWARD visibility is ..........kinda important. lol

I have grow to be mostly dependant on using my mirrors and I stay aware of my position in traffic. It's mainly the reverse that would be the problem but It'll just take a bit to 'know' the car. I think it will be fine.

BTW, did I mention that I haven't even seen this car in person. lol
Yeah, getting in the car, adjusting the seat/mirrors and getting used to the feel (especially acceleration) should soon alleviate my fears.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #20
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

I notice in your profile that you drive a 70 cutlass and a cobalt. ( I myself drive a G5 which is the same thing)

I think you have nothing to worry about driving on a twisty road, as neither of those machines are cornering maniacs, either.

I don't mean that in an offensive way, if it comes out sounding like that. Just saying no way it will handle worse than something from the 70s or a FWD economy sport coupe.
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #21
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
No worries. The Cutlass is certainly a pure boulevard cruiser. The Cobalt is small and nimble, but it has no performance qualifications to speak of. The Camaro has the performance numbers, no doubt about it, and the steering sounds fine. The only question is the perceived size. GMR is pretty narrow and it seems going around every blind turn I have to avoid sport bikers practically laying down in my lane. Smaller size would have helped with that.

Reading this again, I realized this was the same review that included the comically mal-adjusted mirrors. Their comments about poor visibility carry less weight now that I realize they come from the same people who think mirrors should be adjusted to show the quarter panels.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:19 PM   #22
NewCar

Drives: hand me down pickup
mirrors

yes, if you see too much of the "sexy hips" then you will have a bigger blind spot, which sounds like it's a major problem. The mustang is hard to drive for the same reason, the little rear-quarter windows will only give you a little flash of color if something bright and shiny is there. If they could have made the camaro like the concept without the b-pillars then just turning you head would be easy.

The rear visibility is getting worse on all cars these days with higher decks and especially spoilers on top of those even on cars like Cobalt. You can't see much out of the back of that car with the spoiler. You can't see anything at all out of the back of the subaru STI with its enormous rice wing.

Or how bout this? Buy one with a sunroof, keep it open, and mount a huge rice wing on the roof, with a polished chrome bottom, and use that as your rear-view mirror! Style and substance. haha.

But I can say, that if you see ceiling fabric, then you either have your rear-view mirror poorly adjusted, or you are sitting too low, which would give you an angle looking up to the ceiling, just scooting your chair up will give you a more rearward view, and increase forward visibility too (over the hood cowl).

Sitting in my friends mustang, on the passenger side, there is very little visibility, but when I drove it I noticed the driver seat is much higher and its a good bit better visibility that way, maybe just cause passenger side doesn't adjust, but the ride will seem lower to the passenger. This is why they have the 6-way power DRIVER Seat.
NewCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #23
NewCar

side mirrors

Can you replace the mirrors on the sides with a convex-shaped mirror (curved bowing outward) that will give you a wider angle view, like a wide angle lens? It would take some getting used to the distortion, but it might help. I've seen the little ones you can glue on big truck mirrors to make them like bi-focals, but this would be an obstruction on small car mirrors.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #24
NewCar

camaro with polished rice wing rear view mirror

here's what that may look like

Remember to keep the sunroof open or else it won't work! Almost looks good enough to be Front Wheel Drive and have slightly-modified single exhaust! mm-mmmmm.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #25
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCar View Post
here's what that may look like

Remember to keep the sunroof open or else it won't work! Almost looks good enough to be Front Wheel Drive and have slightly-modified single exhaust! mm-mmmmm.
haha, damn ricers
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #26
NewCar

I hope I didn't kill this thread.

But as for engine noise, I like a quiet car, a loud one makes you tired of driving, quickly, my truck takes it out of me, plus I can't hear the radio. A quiet cabin is a great Long-term payoff.

If you want to hear the engine... Roll Down The Window!