Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
bimmerborn
 
bimmerborn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 75
Help! MRT V1 mis-align

I installed MRT V1 as per included instruction. I aligned both tips and tighten the clamps. Left tip is secure in place. Right tip goes up and hits plastic diffuser after 4-5 mile driving. I do not want to tack weld. Any other solution? Should I bend the hanging hooks? Thank you.
bimmerborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerborn View Post
I installed MRT V1 as per included instruction. I aligned both tips and tighten the clamps. Left tip is secure in place. Right tip goes up and hits plastic diffuser after 4-5 mile driving. I do not want to tack weld. Any other solution? Should I bend the hanging hooks? Thank you.
For some reason the right (on these cars) is always a bit harder to get centered. I had to have the muffler shop redo mine as the right tip was slightly off.
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389

Last edited by nyrfan; 01-03-2012 at 02:10 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Ice Demon

 
Ice Demon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,098
Welding it would be the best but take it to a muffler shop and see what they say.
Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,745
make sure the clamp overlaps the old pipe and the new pipe... most of the clamp should be on the new pipe, but some of it should be cover some of the existing stock pipe. Make sure tip is centered... then have someone hold the tip on place (IIRC other have used like a piece of wood as a spacer to hold tip in place) and tighten down the clamp about as much as possible.

as nyrfan pointed out the right side seems to be the one that wants to move a bit... seems to happen with all the axle backs... Most likely due to the engine torquing over...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101
 
rtcat600man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
Posts: 9,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
make sure the clamp overlaps the old pipe and the new pipe... most of the clamp should be on the new pipe, but some of it should be cover some of the existing stock pipe. Make sure tip is centered... then have someone hold the tip on place (IIRC other have used like a piece of wood as a spacer to hold tip in place) and tighten down the clamp about as much as possible.

as nyrfan pointed out the right side seems to be the one that wants to move a bit... seems to happen with all the axle backs... Most likely due to the engine torquing over...

I was always under the impression it had to do with the difference in the right and left pipe at the location where we cut the two pipes.

I had the exact same problem, my fix was to have them welded in place.
__________________
rtcat600man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
RallySport90
3AlarmChevy
 
Drives: 2013 Victory Red 2LS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 33
Use two people. One to do the tightening and the second person to hold the tip in the desired alignment. Also try loosening the clam where the h pipe meets the mid pipe. It'll give you more wiggle and jiggle.
__________________
COMING SOON : VR Camaro 2LT/RS
RallySport90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi
 
jshaf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Masontown, WV
Posts: 4,828
I had mine welded for 75 dollars and the shop got them perfect, they even got them to stick out just a tad so cleaning the tips would be a little easier.
__________________


Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101
 
rtcat600man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
Posts: 9,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
I had mine welded for 75 dollars and the shop got them perfect, they even got them to stick out just a tad so cleaning the tips would be a little easier.

__________________
rtcat600man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
cyberLS

 
cyberLS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey LS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 2,224
how do you like them so far? and also i think you should weld them.it is the best option or have a shop realign them for you.
cyberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
CraziGuy
CallMeCrzyButILuvV6s312HP
 
CraziGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LS 2005 Cobalt SS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 186
Get mine tomorrow =)
__________________
CraziGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
scuba264
 
scuba264's Avatar
 
Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Steeler Country
Posts: 568
After I installed mine I had them shift twice. The passenger side is definitely worse. The 2nd time I got out my longer ratchet bar (like 1 1/2 food long), adjusted them and REALLY cranked the clamps down. This time they haven't moved for 2 or more weeks. It just takes some muscle to get them to stay put.

I have the V2 but still same idea. Just give em hell!
__________________
scuba264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
BenningJ

 
BenningJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cedar Falls, Iowa
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba264 View Post
After I installed mine I had them shift twice. The passenger side is definitely worse. The 2nd time I got out my longer ratchet bar (like 1 1/2 food long), adjusted them and REALLY cranked the clamps down. This time they haven't moved for 2 or more weeks. It just takes some muscle to get them to stay put.

I have the V2 but still same idea. Just give em hell!
This ^^^

When I first installed mine I had the same problem with the passenger side moving. I didn't tighten them as much as I could. So I took the muffler off and reinstalled it but tightened the clamp until I couldn't get it any tighter. Trust me when I say this.... YOU CANNOT OVER TIGHTEN THESE CLAMPS, I gave them all I had and I'm not a small guy. Just realign then go to town. Also make sure you have someone holding the tip or as Scrming said use a block of wood as a spacer. Good luck.
__________________
2013 Camaro 1SS/RS - Ashen Gray Metallic
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
bimmerborn
 
bimmerborn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 75
Folks thanks for all the replies.
I give it one more shot and tighten them as hard as I can. If that didn't work, oh well, I will weld.
bimmerborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
bimmerborn
 
bimmerborn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberLS View Post
how do you like them so far? and also i think you should weld them.it is the best option or have a shop realign them for you.
Love'em!
bimmerborn is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MRT Louver | 2010-2012 Camaro MRT Rear Window Louver w/ Prop Rod Kit | Free Shipping! AutoAgenda Exterior Parts & Accessories 221 03-29-2017 03:01 PM
MRT | 2010+ Camaro V6 MRT Axle-Back Exhaust - Version 2.0! Best Prices @ Auto Agenda! AutoAgenda V6 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 199 02-28-2015 02:09 PM
MRT | 2010+ Camaro SS V8 MRT Axle-Back Exhaust w/ Polished Tips! SALE at Auto Agenda! AutoAgenda V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 17 06-15-2013 01:55 PM
MRT Louver | 2010-2012 Camaro MRT Rear Window Louver w/ Prop Rod Kit | Free Shipping! AutoAgenda Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 45 10-02-2012 06:56 PM
MRT | 2010+ Camaro V8 MRT Axle-Back Exhaust - Version 2.0! Best Prices @ Auto Agenda! AutoAgenda V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 11 10-29-2011 01:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.