Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #15
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
The problem with the convertibles is that they look like crap with the top up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #16
KickerZ71

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
The problem with the convertibles is that they look like crap with the top up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just see sexy!

KickerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #17
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
I say go for it - especially since you live in SoCal where it’s vert weather practically year round. I’ve owned about a dozen convertibles over the years and IMO my ‘14 Camaro is, overall, the best convertible I’ve ever owned. Sure it weighs a bit more and has poorer visibility when the top is up, but put the top down and you have the ultimate chick magnet!

Here’s a review vid I did of mine:

Wouldn’t hurt to rent one first as others have suggested.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 AM   #18
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I had a 14' SS vert before my Z/28. In sunny hot humid weather I found myself baking at stop lights even with the AC on. Yes, as been stated they are more noisy with the top up or down. It is somewhat of a hassle to put the toneau cover on and off all the time. Found myself worrying more about the car when going somewhere and leaving it in a parking lot with the top down. Just some of my own opinions.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #19
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I had a '13 ZL1 vert. It was a good street cruiser with lots of power, but if you're into tracking at all there's no PTM, it's limited to 155 mph, and no belly pan. So there are some limitations that may or may not matter for you to consider.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:01 AM   #20
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I do not. No need.
Interesting. I’ve looked at numerous track events and not a single one allows a convertible without a cage. Even the fairly tame one at Camarofest. Watkins Glen allows you out for their paced lap experience, but to actually drive the track you need one.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #21
pavlos1

Drives: 2018 red hot zl/1 camaro
hello all,let me chime in here.i have a 2014 2/ss/rs silver convertible that is used sparingly in the summer months.i work at night and there is nothing like top down wind in your hair type of ride.there is alot of city driving with it so i don~t mind.when i finish in the a.m. the first thing i do is open it up for top down driving.its in the process of having a livernois 419 stroked motor installed .can~t wait for those drives into work.it gets parked from nov. until march under a car cover.enjoy.
pavlos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #22
Sozo

Drives: 2015 Comm. M6 2SS convertible
If you enjoy driving your car ..and see plenty of nice weather there really isn't a reason why you wouldn't . Having owned several different cars with drop tops through the years the Camaro doesn't have a lot of negatives many people associate with them in general.

The Camaro doesn't buffet you with wind with the top down anything near what many others have I've owned

They really done a good job keeping them tight ..a lot of verts you feel every rattle through the steering wheel ..not at all the case so far with my Camaro.
Top closed interior noise is very quite with the Camaro vert again nothing like other cars I have owned
I have less of the blind spot many complain about with the coupe ..there is no big pillar between the front and back seat glass ..just a thin weather strip ..visibility still isn't great but to me with my height and such it is better in the convertibles than coupes

Rent one ..see what you think!
Sozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #23
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Definitely rent one, and rent it for more than just a weekend so you'll have a better idea how much of a "convertible person" you really are.

Norm
Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #24
c-57d

Drives: 14 2SS/RS Triple Black Ragtop LS3
Get the ragtop!
my 2¢
-Elonkay Nika
Old 09-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #25
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickerZ71 View Post
I just see sexy!

Top down, I'd agree "in a heartbeat".

Top up, seeing where all of the convertible bows are represents visual distraction to shapes that perhaps can't be completely avoided but which still detract from the coherence of an overall design that's relatively "smooth". Some convertibles manage to minimize this better than others.

Norm
Old 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #26
ThatMaro
Patty Cake

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2LT RS
I refuse to buy another convertible unless it’s the hardtop type. (Where the top is same color as the car like BMW 4 Series Convertibles) i would never buy a Camaro convertible though because I hate the way they look. A few years ago we had a 07’ Pontiac G6 Convertible with the V6 and it was the hard top type that I actually liked. We only opened the top once in the 3 years we had it since it literally STOPPED working and we never opened it so we never got it fixed. The car ended up being traded due to all of the issues it was having it looked ok design wise but the mechanics and electrical components of that car were terribly designed.
10’ Lexus ES 350
17’ Mercedes-Benz E300 4Matic (Totaled)
20' Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 4Matic - Loaded
ThatMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #27
stickwiggler13

Drives: 2012 2SS Convertible
Get the vert!! Best combination of performance, looks, style and fun. Looks wayyyyy better than the coupe, top up or down��
stickwiggler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #28
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Interesting. I’ve looked at numerous track events and not a single one allows a convertible without a cage. Even the fairly tame one at Camarofest. Watkins Glen allows you out for their paced lap experience, but to actually drive the track you need one.
All depends on what type of track event it is.

Michigan MIS was a 'parade lap' type of event, but all you have to do is lag a bit behind on the front side and hammer is for the back side. This one was for a 'Wounded Warrior' event hosted by a local HD club, and I was there to transport the wounded warrior's, so they let me on the track with the warrior's and their families riding as passengers. 3 passengers with the top down at 115mph and it felt as if we were just going for ice cream.

Michigan's M1 track. It was a Haggerty event. We were split up into several classes/groups. Novice, intermediate, advanced. I was in the novice group, and it was a 'follow the leader' type of event. We had a lead car provided by the track (Hellcats). All we had to do is make sure we didn't pass the lead car. The faster and more capable we were, the faster the lead car would go. Plenty of corners and fairly short straights. Awesome day.

Michigan Gingerman's track.
Just a normal track day where they divide you into classes such as novice/intermediate/advanced, and you just have fun. Not a 'race' at all, just a regular day to practice with your cars.
Novices (me) are required to attend class then you are assigned a instructor. The first few laps the instructor drives, showing you the course and showing you the lines you should take, etc. The next laps, you are driving, with the instructor riding shotgun, giving you instructions. You are not allowed to drive the track by yourself until the instructor is satisfied with your driving. The other restriction for the novice class is that you drive the entire track in 3rd gear only. Yes helmets are required, and I did change the brake fluid and pads for the day. Awesome track day.

Michigan's Milan Drag Day was a test/tune event. Helmet required but no cage required. Even on a convertible. Many tracks will require a cage if you go faster than something like an 11.99 (depending on the track).
My ZL1 is stock (M6) except for a Rotofab cai. Make as many passes as you'd like. I hadn't taken a car to the strip in 35 years or so. I did manage to run 12.7's on Michelin Pilot Supersport DD tires, so I was happy.

These were all casual track events, not true races. More than enough for me to enjoy the heck out of my convertible.

I have no doubt that for actual races, they would require a cage.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote