Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #29
dlink

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
This is a common issue that effects only the 2013 LS. I had the same issue and the one and only fix for this that worked for me was buying another radio that is NOT from a 2013 LS (any other camaro radio will work). After installing it myself which is very easy the last step is to get the new installed radio unlocked by chevy. This costed me an additional 60$ on top of the 50$ i spent for the new radio. Everything works perfect now months after.
dlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #30
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
This is a Common problem with that radio, I just had to get Another Radio
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #31
Jicolon

Drives: Camaro LS 6 speed
I had the same problem. This started in January took it to the dealer no more warranty. They wanted to charge me $100 to test the system. I just replaced the whole radio with an after market. I hVe radio and a/c again after two months
Jicolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #32
sixupcamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro V6
I just replaced the radio with an aftermarket and problem solved
sixupcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #33
runnercouple43

Drives: Maroon Chevy Camaro
2014 Camaro Radio FIX

Here is the fix....

Locate the battery in the trunk under the spare tire.

Remove Negative (-) cable.
Remove Positive (+) cable.
Remove the terminals off the cable ends.
Clean every point of connection of the cables/terminals/battery posts.

Remove the other end of the Negative (-) end of the cable from the frame and clean here as well; but also remove paint where the terminal meets the frame.

Put all together in reverse order.

FIXED!
runnercouple43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:09 AM   #34
ss0320

Drives: 2015 SS2 Camaro
I have a 2015 SS2 double din radio that just stopped working. My link does not display nor camera, or anything. Nothing comes on. It was intermittently working but now nothing. What could be the issue?
ss0320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #35
Ashen2SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss0320 View Post
I have a 2015 SS2 double din radio that just stopped working. My link does not display nor camera, or anything. Nothing comes on. It was intermittently working but now nothing. What could be the issue?
Did you disconnect the battery? Give it 15 minutes and reconnect it?
Ashen2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #36
CamiLFX

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Most of this thread is filled with misinformation.

Symptoms: Unpleasant feedback from speakers upon start-up, radio display and buttons flickering, no audio output.
NOTE: Radio would occasionally work as normal. ALL symptoms increased in frequency over time. Climate controls remained completely operational.

From what I understand from multiple sources, the radio unit (behind the face-plate) has poorly soldered connections, and the exact issue can effect ALL non MyLink units. If you're good with electronics and have an afternoon to kill, you can apparently locate the weak points yourself and re-solder them. This is the ideal route, because you won't have to worry about the radio frying itself again, but if you're not electronically inclined like me, you're going to have to spend a little extra money and also risk the possibility of running into this same problem again down the road. I purchased a radio unit out of a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze off of Ebay for $30, installed it myself, and had the radio unlocked in about 10 minutes by an independent radio repair shop for ~$200. No issues in the 5 months and 15k miles since replacement.

You also have the option of going aftermarket, but I personally don't recommend it just because of the lack of quality in the available dash kits.

Edit: Check your RPOs before ordering parts!

Last edited by CamiLFX; 11-04-2018 at 11:52 PM.
CamiLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #37
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Extremely helpful thread! Now I know I'm not going crazy lol. I have the same issue. Screen would go out, lights on buttons would flicker, would get a pop every once in awhile, sometimes I would have zero issue.
A few days ago I stopped for coffee. When I started the car I had XM radio on. It made a different popping sound that I have never heard. The screed read something like XM Antenna Fault". XM disappeared as a band choice. Radio and controls all went black. It's been like that the past few days now.
I was looking into options. I really don't have the cash to go aftermarket. I was looking at the $25 used Cruze radios on ebay myself. Think that is going to be the route I go for now.
I'm guessing I have to pull my radio to get the correct model/RPO code off the sticker on the radio? Thanks for this info All!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #38
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
Looks like mine is doing the exact same thing. Its getting pprogressively worse. How much did people spend on have the new radio unlocked? And can do they have to pop the radio out to do it or can do do it after I swap radios?
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #39
Shytstorm

Drives: 2014 black 1ls
hi i have a 2014 lt with the same radio issue... cutting in and out constanly. the blinkers also just started blinking acting up, not a steady beat, somewhat intermittently. real annoying, voltage seems to be good, anyways has anyone found a fix???
Shytstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #40
Church

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT
Same here

Just started happening last week. Same problem as shown in the video higher up in this thread.

I think I'll research aftermarket options for now.
Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:17 AM   #41
CamiLFX

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
Just started happening last week. Same problem as shown in the video higher up in this thread.

I think I'll research aftermarket options for now.
Mind that if you go aftermarket, you’ll be replacing more than just the radio. About a year ago, I swapped my radio out for a Kenwood with the PAC kit, which is supposed to be the best dash kit you can get for the 5th gen, and I hated it. I had it installed for a total of two hours before I took it out and sent it back to Amazon. No resistance in the lock switch or the hazard light button. Also, the installation requires the cutting of a plastic notch in the dashboard, which is irreversable. Along with that, the kit requires you to use their own control module and door chime, and I, for the life of me could not find an obvious way to adjust the volume for OnStar. It defaulted to the highest volume. Oh, and you can’t make personal adjustments to your Camaro like changing how the car locks/unlocks. These issues may not be a big deal for most people, but I personally couldn’t deal with it.
CamiLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #42
Bocachica145

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camero Ls
Help. My 2013 Chevy Camaro LS is having electrical issue. When I turn car on everything works once I change gears to drive my radio, AC and blinkers turns off with a Big Bang. I took it to the dealership “Gillmans” where I bought my car. They fixed it twice and the problem returned. I ran out of warranty so I reached out to Gillmans dealership for help and they told me there was no record of me being there��, Really! I yelled at the guy I said I can describe the people and your tiny lounge where I waited for hours. Anyways any solutions ����*♀️
Bocachica145 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, radio