Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
DIY: Modifiy Your Engine Covers for a Supercharger!

This is an ongoing install so please be patient!

So...the Maggie is a couple weeks out still due to a delay in production on the polished models. I decided to start working on getting things started. It is a fairly straightforward process and doesnt require much skill but it does require some patience. The tools that you are going to need are pretty basic. Make sure before you start that you have:

Small air saw (and Blades)
Dremel tool with rotary sanding bits
Hand file with rounded and straight edges
Sanding block and some sandpaper
Power 1/4 sheet sander
Black sharpie
Masking tape
side-cutters

Now quit slacking and get to work.! Lift the hood and take a deep gasp at that monstrosity of a motor! Take off the Oil fill cap and grip the cover equally on both sides from the front and give it a healthy tug but be careful. Lifting upward, you should feel that is is hinged on the backside of the motor.

Take it over to a workbench and you will see that there is an insulated piece on the bottom of the cover. It is held on by some push clamps. Go ahead and just snap the pins off, they will break pretty easy. If you don't want to do this, you can cut the clips with some side cutters and then just remove the insulated piece. Set this aside for now. Im still not sure we are going to use it later or not. Now go ahead and remove those pins!

Now its time to get that center section out of there. It is best to make your cuts about 1/16 from the edge that you want. This will allow you to sand it down and make everything equal. I would cut it from the top side so you don't end up with a crazy angle and end up cutting more off than you wanted. You will be using the air saw with a fine tooth blade for this. I got mine at harbor freight and it was about 12 bucks on sale. Dont forget to get some blades as there are none in the box!

after you have the center section cut out, you can throw that center section in the trash. We are now going to work on the driver's side because that is the one that needs the most mods. I have decided to use the Hennessey Covers as a template.

Once the Maggie gets installed, I will make any other adjustments as needed. here are some pics of where i decide to cut. Once again, go ahead and leave yourself some room for filing and sanding to make it look nice.

Here are the lines that i marked off and taped before cutting.

After the cutting , sanding and using the file to make it look good. TAKE YOUR TIME!

This is the sander that I have been using to even up the edges after cutting. I have been using rough down to a lower grade to make it nice n smooth!
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.

Last edited by BlownSS; 03-01-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Completed!
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
BlownSS

this is where i am heading with the passenger side..

Here are some pics from todays work. they should be pretty self explanatory.....

Here they are ready to get some paint work done. I have used the sander to straighten all of the edges and actually used 3 different grades to get a smooth finish on the edges.....its helps to use the sander to round the edges too. I used the scratch pad to get the Black areas prepped.

I used some adhesion promoter because they are plastic but not sure its 100% necessary. I had some in the garage so I figured hey...why not!

I used an automobile grade silver paint from the auto parts store. The parts that are still in the factory paint will be a "hammered" golor grey....I still need to shag down to the Auto body supply store to get some IOM in a can and some clear coat. Will post more when I get more done.
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.

Last edited by BlownSS; 03-01-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
BlownSS

This is the last section of the transformation. I Took the same red scotchbrite pad and gave the covers a good scouring to create a good bonding surface for the paint. I decided to change colors and went with a "hammered" grey color. I taped em off and cleaned em with some denatured alcohol and then a tack cloth to make sure they were ready to paint. I threw down 3 coats of paint about 20 minutes apart and let it dry for about 4 hours. I then hit it with 3 coats of clear. Here are the pics so far. You may notice that I drilled out all of the fake rivets and will be using stainless 1/4 inch button head hex bolts to match the hardware i will be using for the brackets. That way everything looks uniform. I will be sanding these down tomorrow with some 1200-1500 wet dry and then coating a couple more times to get a nice shine and good protection. Here are the recent pics

Last edited by BlownSS; 03-01-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
Looks real good so far.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
BlownSS

I am ordering some brackets that are made commercially from a vendor.....When I get them, i will be doing a specialized write-up for them and incorporate them into this one. I hope all goes well!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Eski7399
Arizona All Gens

Drives: 2SS/RS, M6, IO-Int
Is there a DIY or somebody that sells them already modified to just expose the stock intake? Sorry for the hijack.
Eski7399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Great job! Looks good!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Great job! Looks good!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
BlownSS

I updated some more progress today!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
BlownSS

Done! Those arent fisheyes....it is the texture of the "hammered" finish

Last edited by BlownSS; 03-01-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
great write up. When cutting the edges, did you find that you were chipping the remaining paint? Nice job too.

"What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil"
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #12
ZZIXX
Blown SS

Drives: 1969 Camaro RS, 2010 RS/SS
Nice work, your posting with pics is much appreciated. Thanks.

TVS 2300, Comp Cam, ARH, 3" JBA Exhaust, ADM Race CAI, KB BAP, Hurst, BMR, Pfadt Suspension 610RWHP/602RWTQ My Build Thread
ZZIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
BlownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
great write up. When cutting the edges, did you find that you were chipping the remaining paint? Nice job too.
I did notice some of the paint coming off but was easily blended with the scouring pad.....its very thin paint!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownSS View Post
I did notice some of the paint coming off but was easily blended with the scouring pad.....its very thin paint!
ok thanks, id rather do this then spend $495 for essentially "HALF" an engine cover from henn.

"What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil"
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote