Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-11-2020, 10:33 PM   #1
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro SS/RS
will a obx cat connect to kooks header?

Iím running kooks catless but I need to go in for a vehicle inspection. I know that obx headers look like kooks but Iím wondering if there cat would actually fit and connect to one?
I would rather buy and use a obx cat temporarily then a kooks.
Anyone?
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
What kind of inspection does your state do? A visual one and you can just put off road pipe in there, they came with my speed engineering headers, they are straight through but look like high flow cats from the outside so a visual inspection they look like cats. If they do emissions by plugging in the obd port you are good. If they run it on the dyn then you will need the cats
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I don't know for certain if they would fit, but it is also going to depend on how old your Kooks headers are. The OBX headers have the "old style" Kooks connector that may still be on 2" Kooks headers, but are not on the 1 7/8" ones. If your Kooks headers are newer they will not work with the connector I believe.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
Interested in this as well.

Looking at headers under 1k that have cats or which cats can be mixed and matched with Speed engineering, OBX, Texas Speed(not sure fitament) Stainless power.
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro SS/RS
I have the newer kooks that uses the single round strap over the ball and socket connection. my idea is to cut off the obx clamp and if the ball and socket match use the kooks strap for connection. what I need to know is if that socket on the obx cat is the same size as one on a kooks part? dont plan on cutting and welding or macgyver a clamp on the header side, time=$, might as well pay for the right part.....but if it's as easy as swapping then it's a no brainer for me.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote