Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #15
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
My early 2010 SS still has the originals. 68,000 miles. No problems with them yet.
amazing. these cars were built to last.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:57 AM   #16
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
I had to replace all 4 of mine 2 years ago on my 2011, so they lasted 9 years for me. Bought a set of 4 AC Delco sensors off of Amazon for $30.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #17
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I think the sensors can last indefinetly unless fix-a-flat goo is injected into tire or a few rare random fails. Its the coin battery that fails and IIRC it can be replaced along wiht Oring and that's what i do on every tire change usually. Cheap and I like retaining the quality OEM where possible not only for $ savings.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 02:40 PM   #18
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I think the sensors can last indefinetly unless fix-a-flat goo is injected into tire or a few rare random fails. Its the coin battery that fails and IIRC it can be replaced along wiht Oring and that's what i do on every tire change usually. Cheap and I like retaining the quality OEM where possible not only for $ savings.
On the sensors I've seen, the battery is molded into the sensor and can not be replaced.

Just looked up how to replace the battery and they can be replaced but holy hell. $4-$5 for a battery plus all the hassle of tearing it apart, re-soldering the battery, then buying the special silicon and plastic that won't mess up the sensor to re-mold the silicon and the plastic, or order oem sensors off Amazon for $6-$7 each.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:39 PM   #19
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
On the sensors I've seen, the battery is molded into the sensor and can not be replaced.

Just looked up how to replace the battery and they can be replaced but holy hell. $4-$5 for a battery plus all the hassle of tearing it apart, re-soldering the battery, then buying the special silicon and plastic that won't mess up the sensor to re-mold the silicon and the plastic, or order oem sensors off Amazon for $6-$7 each.
That makes sense. I change the whole wheel tire but can't beakdown the tire off the wheel so I let the tire shop do that and on my other cars they request to do a battery O ring change, must be Chevy made theirs harder, I haven't yet change my Camaro tires but will soon. I saw some good rated sensors on amazon like you are saying. My local chevy does full MSRP only on everything so I avoid using them when I can.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:25 PM   #20
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
must be Chevy made theirs harder, I haven't yet change my Camaro tires but will soon. I saw some good rated sensors on amazon like you are saying. My local chevy does full MSRP only on everything so I avoid using them when I can.
There is only 3-4 oem designs. The video I saw said it was for oem sensors for a dozen different makes including GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, and BMW so it's not just a Chevy thing.

Like I said above, I bought 4 AC Delco sensors for $30 off Amazon. Same part number and everything as the ones that was taken off.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:10 PM   #21
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
What is the part number for the 2014 OEM Sensor? I run ZL1 Rims are the sensors different?
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 12:42 AM   #22
Mr_Draco

AC Delco Part# 13598772

GM uses the same sensor across all makes and models that are sold in the US but any TMPS sensor that is 315 mhz will work.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:29 PM   #23
LarryD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Manual Trans
I went through this problem on my 2010 2SS back in late 2020 and early 2021. I couldn't get any new sensors to program and GM even replaced the receiver. They gave up. I found on this forum a user that referred me to a specific Roadfar brand of sensor. I bought a set and they worked fine, however, after 14 months they quit so I assume the batteries are dead. So, beware, the 2010 seems to be problematic with the sensors and sensors that say they replace the GM number won't necessarily work (GM dealer tried that on mine). The Roadfar ones are single frequency 315MHz. I am going to reprogram mine today and see if they continue to work. If not, I will order another set of the Roadfar sensors and post the link here when I find the link to the ones I used.
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #24
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
I went through this problem on my 2010 2SS back in late 2020 and early 2021. I couldn't get any new sensors to program and GM even replaced the receiver. They gave up. I found on this forum a user that referred me to a specific Roadfar brand of sensor. I bought a set and they worked fine, however, after 14 months they quit so I assume the batteries are dead. So, beware, the 2010 seems to be problematic with the sensors and sensors that say they replace the GM number won't necessarily work (GM dealer tried that on mine). The Roadfar ones are single frequency 315MHz. I am going to reprogram mine today and see if they continue to work. If not, I will order another set of the Roadfar sensors and post the link here when I find the link to the ones I used.
Here’s another post on those same sensors, about a year ago.

Roadfar
Old 09-10-2022, 05:18 PM   #25
LarryD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Manual Trans
I have to agree about the short life but I don't have another choice since these were the only ones that would program and hold the programming. GM engineers were useless since they couldn't tell me why. Anyway, if there was a way to easily turn them off permanently I would. Really annoying to have to keep clearing the error message and having the trouble light on all the time.
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:16 PM   #26
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
I have to agree about the short life but I don't have another choice since these were the only ones that would program and hold the programming. GM engineers were useless since they couldn't tell me why. Anyway, if there was a way to easily turn them off permanently I would. Really annoying to have to keep clearing the error message and having the trouble light on all the time.
All info I’ve read points to a BCM thing that doesn’t allow us to disable the TPMS.
I agree it’s a pain in the butt to have to hit the menu button to clear the error but, no different than having to pick random every time I want to play my usb music. The trouble light, now that one does bother me, hence the small piece of black tape so I’m not distracted by it whilst cruising.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:21 PM   #27
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:

I must have read that same thread as you because that is how I found out about the ROADFAR sensors.

I got 3 weeks out of my ROADFAR sensors. The rear two died within days of each other. It's a PITA and costly to replace again because all of the tire shops near me charge extra to dismount/remount my Camaro's MRR wheels because they are black aftermarket wheels. Something about a touchless tire mounting machine, idk. In April I bought a set of MORESENSOR sensors for my Lancer. One of those has also kicked the bucket already.

I think I am done with Amazon's Chinesium sensors. I really wish that the TPMS light could be turned off in the tune, but it cannot.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:56 PM   #28
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
I don't know if this works as I haven't tried it but here goes. Go to Lowes and buy 2 plastic pipe end caps and a short straight length of pipe. Drill a hole in one end cap and install a shrader valve. Take 4 new sensors and put them inside the pipe and glue the end caps on. Put air in via the installed shrader valve. Toss the assembly in the trunk and program the TPMS. I've never tried this but was told it works great, when mine start going bad I will be trying this.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote