Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 10-28-2023, 03:28 PM   #1
Cam 6

Drives: 2018 Colorado ZR2
A small 'no allocation' rant...

Well, I placed an order for a 2023 Shadow Gray metallic M6 LT1 with Recaros, RS package, tech package and NPP in March of this year. I was told a four month max delivery window. In June, it was moved to a 2024 production car.

So, I lost my color, no big deal. Except for that pesky $2800 upcharge for the 2024 model. I just flipped the color to a Sharkskin metallic. I always knew that I could change my mind on color/options once the dealer received an allocation.

Fast forward to October 19th and I did not get a car. My dealer has been very poor at communicating the real status of my order, and the likelihood (or not) of his dealership securing an allocation. I like them, but not real happy right now. Poor communication, poor execution.

I had been lurking in the Chevy Inventory website for a few weeks just to be prepared in case they dropped the ball, but the Recaros are a tough get unless you are buying a SS 1LE, and I needed a car that could at least function in the winter weather in an emergency. The 1LE is NOT that car.

As it turns out there are no Camaros with the color/option combo and Recaros to be had within reasonable distance, so I found another manufacturer. I REALLY wanted a Camaro, but with the options I wanted. I wasn't interested in settling just to have a car.

In summary, I will never buy another Chevy product. I had recently purchased a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport and a 2018 Colorado ZR2 so I would consider myself a loyal customer. Those days are over.

To those of you that got your Camaros, enjoy your cars!

Last edited by Cam 6; 10-29-2023 at 09:07 PM.
Cam 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 05:17 PM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I drove a 1LE daily in the winter with snow and ice and then a ZL1. Youre being irrational. An LT1 really is in that regard no different.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:36 PM   #3
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I wouldn’t have jumped ship on Chevy for the reasons you stated but have definitely jumped ship personally for other reasons. Either way more power to you and I hope you don’t have regrets! Enjoy your car!

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:55 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 6 View Post
Well, I placed an order for a 2023 Shadow Gary metallic M6 LT1 with Recaros, RS package, tech package and NPP in March of this year. I was told a four month max delivery window. In June, it was moved to a 2024 production car.

So, I lost my color, no big deal. Except for that pesky $2800 upcharge for the 2024 model. I just flipped the color to a Sharkskin metallic. I always knew that I could change my mind on color/options once the dealer received an allocation.

Fast forward to October 19th and I did not get a car. My dealer has been very poor at communicating the real status of my order, and the likelihood (or not) of his dealership securing an allocation. I like them, but not real happy right now. Poor communication, poor execution.

I had been lurking in the Chevy Inventory website for a few weeks just to be prepared in case they dropped the ball, but the Recaros are a tough get unless you are buying a SS 1LE, and I needed a car that could at least function in the winter weather in an emergency. The 1LE is NOT that car.

As it turns out there are no Camaros with the color/option combo and Recaros to be had within reasonable distance, so I found another manufacturer. I REALLY wanted a Camaro, but with the options I wanted. I wasn't interested in settling just to have a car.

In summary, I will never buy another Chevy product. I had recently purchased a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport and a 2018 Colorado ZR2 so I would consider myself a loyal customer. Those days are over.

To those of you that got your Camaros, enjoy your cars!
A sad and disappointing story, and you're not the only one who swore off GM because of how dysfunctional they are as a company and a dealer network. Sure, their profits still look healthy, but that's the glitzy outside of a rotting tree trunk.

BTW earlier this year I bought my first non-GM car ever (a Nissan), there is no good reason I can think of to support this company in the future, plus they have nothing interesting apart from the Corvette that is not for me and the Escalade-V that is complete unobtainium at $150K.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 09:38 PM   #5
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
A shitty and dishonest dealer is not representative of the product they are selling.

If the car I wanted existed, I would go get it. I wouldn't say "well, there's none within 500 miles, I guess I'll never buy this brand again. I'm going to switch to Dodge"

That tells me the problem wasn't even the dealer, it was just that the car wasn't close enough for you to travel. Otherwise you would have gotten the car and continued being a happy, loyal customer.
Clearly though, its the dealer that pissed you off. They drug you along thinking you would still end up buying a car from them..... which sounds like a fair guess given you're not willing to travel very far to get what you want.

I'd rather buy a car and swap the seats than just switch to a different car altogether. Hell, I'd even buy one a year older, even used. 22 vs 23 vs 24 is essentially the same aside from cosmetics. Nobody else gives a damn about bragging rights because its one year or the other, so get the car you wanted.

To each their own though. It's your ass in the seat, not mine.
Old 10-29-2023, 06:58 AM   #6
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I drove a 1LE daily in the winter with snow and ice and then a ZL1. Youre being irrational. An LT1 really is in that regard no different.
No. The 1LE and ZL1 have summer only performance tires. The LT1 has all seasons.

I don't know the setup on those cars, whether or not they had dedicated snow tires on them for the winter, but there is no way they perform the same as equipped from the manufacturer.
Old 10-29-2023, 07:08 AM   #7
The Zebra

Drives: '24 ZL1 A10, '70 Olds 442 W-30
Quote:
No. The 1LE and ZL1 have summer only performance tires. The LT1 has all seasons.

I don't know the setup on those cars, whether or not they had dedicated snow tires on them for the winter, but there is no way they perform the same as equipped from the manufacturer.
Don't give up on your car over a set of tires, just burn off those summer only tires over a few months and then get the all season tires you want. (or sell those original tires with 0 miles)
The Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:09 AM   #8
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
A shitty and dishonest dealer is not representative of the product they are selling.

If the car I wanted existed, I would go get it. I wouldn't say "well, there's none within 500 miles, I guess I'll never buy this brand again. I'm going to switch to Dodge"

That tells me the problem wasn't even the dealer, it was just that the car wasn't close enough for you to travel. Otherwise you would have gotten the car and continued being a happy, loyal customer.
Clearly though, its the dealer that pissed you off. They drug you along thinking you would still end up buying a car from them..... which sounds like a fair guess given you're not willing to travel very far to get what you want.

I'd rather buy a car and swap the seats than just switch to a different car altogether. Hell, I'd even buy one a year older, even used. 22 vs 23 vs 24 is essentially the same aside from cosmetics. Nobody else gives a damn about bragging rights because its one year or the other, so get the car you wanted.

To each their own though. It's your ass in the seat, not mine.
First, the more time you have to look at other options the more attractive they become, particularly if you have been waiting and wondering for half a year. Some research reveals a lot of great options out there with a lot to offer. The biggest thing the Camaro has going for it is the LT1 6.2 V8.

The dealer is not dishonest. Chevy created the allocation system where you cannot get one car for 7 months, even if other dealers that ordered 5 months later get five cars. They dropped the ball.

I'll say my dealer did not communicate the situation correctly, but maybe he had confidence that Chevy would come through. They did not.
Old 10-29-2023, 07:19 AM   #9
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
A sad and disappointing story, and you're not the only one who swore off GM because of how dysfunctional they are as a company and a dealer network. Sure, their profits still look healthy, but that's the glitzy outside of a rotting tree trunk.

BTW earlier this year I bought my first non-GM car ever (a Nissan), there is no good reason I can think of to support this company in the future, plus they have nothing interesting apart from the Corvette that is not for me and the Escalade-V that is complete unobtainium at $150K.
Congrats on your Nissan. What model did you buy?

I had my Corvette, which I bought in 2017 after I had started researching the 2016 Camaro. It was a great car but I just couldn't treat it like a daily driver and ran out of garage space for a third car. That's why I was looking for a LT1. The all-seasons would at least make it useable in the winter in all but very harsh conditions.

There are a lot of great driver's cars out there not named Camaro. Since Chevy made it so damn difficult to buy from them many people have (and will) go elsewhere. Never to return.
Old 10-29-2023, 07:30 AM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Congrats on your Nissan. What model did you buy?

I had my Corvette, which I bought in 2017 after I had started researching the 2016 Camaro. It was a great car but I just couldn't treat it like a daily driver and ran out of garage space for a third car. That's why I was looking for a LT1. The all-seasons would at least make it useable in the winter in all but very harsh conditions.

There are a lot of great driver's cars out there not named Camaro. Since Chevy made it so damn difficult to buy from them many people have (and will) go elsewhere. Never to return.
Nothing serious, just an Altima for the youngins. I didn't even consider GM, sadly.

By the way, you could find a used SS with some proper tires already mounted that you can easily use as a daily driver. It isn't the same as a brand new car you order, but in your shoes I would absolutely give it a try, this is an amazing car. Not without flaws, yet overall it's such a joy to drive even slowly in a daily setting.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:31 AM   #11
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zebra View Post
Don't give up on your car over a set of tires, just burn off those summer only tires over a few months and then get the all season tires you want. (or sell those original tires with 0 miles)
I get your point, but I expect a manufacturer to get me what I order, and not require me to change out things because of their incompetence. I wasn't going to change out tires.

I'll say this: The time I spent waiting gave me a lot of free time to look in other directions. There are a lot of great cars out there. I really wanted a Camaro for 7 months. Once I started researching other cars I realized that Chevy dropping the ball on my car was not the end of the world. In fact, it was a blessing in disguise.
Old 10-29-2023, 07:41 AM   #12
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Nothing serious, just an Altima for the youngins. I didn't even consider GM, sadly.

By the way, you could find a used SS with some proper tires already mounted that you can easily use as a daily driver. It isn't the same as a brand new car you order, but in your shoes I would absolutely give it a try, this is an amazing car. Not without flaws, yet overall it's such a joy to drive even slowly in a daily setting.
I appreciate the thoughts, but I ran out of patience.

I wanted to buy a new Camaro set up exactly as needed for my use. I wanted the upgraded radio that was not available in the 1SS. I didn't want all the nannies and other 'amenities' and track goodies on the 2SS. I wanted the Recaros, but didn't want to order a SS 1LE to get them. I basically wanted a few upgrades wrapped around the 6.2 V8 and M6. The LT1 was the perfect fit for me.

At the end of the day, I was tired of being jacked around by Chevy. That's why I took my money, and my Colorado ZR2 trade-in, elsewhere.
Old 10-29-2023, 07:51 AM   #13
The Zebra

Drives: '24 ZL1 A10, '70 Olds 442 W-30
Quote:
I get your point, but I expect a manufacturer to get me what I order, and not require me to change out things because of their incompetence. I wasn't going to change out tires.

I'll say this: The time I spent waiting gave me a lot of free time to look in other directions. There are a lot of great cars out there. I really wanted a Camaro for 7 months. Once I started researching other cars I realized that Chevy dropping the ball on my car was not the end of the world. In fact, it was a blessing in disguise.

So, you are losing the car you really wanted over a set of tires? You could have had the tires changed out and sold the old ones in the time you've spent on this thread and your researching options.

I understand your frustration with them not offering it exactly the way you wanted from the factory, bur for whatever reason, their marketing dept decided not to offer it that way.

Chevrolet management is what it is - for now. I'm not thrilled with having to have spent several hours calling dealers to get my '24 ZL1 ordered and built, but in the end it made it extra special because I "won" and made it mine.

Best of luck and enjoy your new ride, whatever it is
The Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:24 AM   #14
Cam 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zebra View Post
So

Best of luck and enjoy your new ride, whatever it is
Thanks. It's a Genesis G70 Sport Prestige. It's not a muscle car, but I was blown away by the combination of performance, luxury and technology.