Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Dealership installation gone bad?

This is a picture of where my 1LE front splitter connects to the front fascia, near the driver side wheel well.

I don't think this strip of plastic (see red arrow) is supposed to be between the splitter and the fascia. Did the dealership install this incorrectly?

Any ideas where that piece is actually supposed to go? As long as nothing is damaged, I would rather just fix it myself than try to get the dealership to understand and fix it.

Thanks for your help
Attached Images

AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I found this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=1le

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
That is an alignment tab. It should have been broken off after the holes were drilled and the bracket was riveted to the body.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
AG1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
That is an alignment tab. It should have been broken off after the holes were drilled and the bracket was riveted to the body.
I thought the tabs came out of the top - what I am seeing looks like one solid piece.

Does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions for the '14-15 splitters? I've seen the instructions for the '13...I imagine they're not much different. For the '13, the removable tabs stick up (vertical), which makes me think that what I'm seeing isn't a removable tab (I could be wrong).
Old 11-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
When I bought my 2014 1LE, the splitter had been scratched. So, the dealer agreed to send me another. The original, scratched splitter still had the alignment tabs like yours. Frankly, I didn't even realize it wasn't supposed to install that way until I saw the instructions. But, I was able to install the new one the correct way, so all's well that ends well.

The installation instructions are a little different for the 14-15. I ended up getting them from the dealer parts department that sent me the part. I recommend going that route.

However, it might not be necessary if you plan to reuse the old splitter, since the biggest challenge is getting the mounting strips on -- you won't have to do that. Instead, just remove the old splitter (leaving the old mounting strips), break off the tabs you have pictured, and reinstall the splitter. The biggest challenge is that you will have to drill out of the old rivets and use new rivets with the reinstall. There are both plastic and metal rivets, so you'll need both (and they take two different types of install tools).
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
AG1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMUCL View Post
When I bought my 2014 1LE, the splitter had been scratched. So, the dealer agreed to send me another. The original, scratched splitter still had the alignment tabs like yours. Frankly, I didn't even realize it wasn't supposed to install that way until I saw the instructions. But, I was able to install the new one the correct way, so all's well that ends well.

The installation instructions are a little different for the 14-15. I ended up getting them from the dealer parts department that sent me the part. I recommend going that route.

However, it might not be necessary if you plan to reuse the old splitter, since the biggest challenge is getting the mounting strips on -- you won't have to do that. Instead, just remove the old splitter (leaving the old mounting strips), break off the tabs you have pictured, and reinstall the splitter. The biggest challenge is that you will have to drill out of the old rivets and use new rivets with the reinstall. There are both plastic and metal rivets, so you'll need both (and they take two different types of install tools).
Thank you, very helpful. Now that I look closer, I could see where that piece could be a removable tab (a couple inches long it seems). I am trying to get in touch with my dealership about the issue, but may also contact Maureen to see if she can supply a copy of the instructions and supply the two different types of rivets.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
Thank you, very helpful. Now that I look closer, I could see where that piece could be a removable tab (a couple inches long it seems). I am trying to get in touch with my dealership about the issue, but may also contact Maureen to see if she can supply a copy of the instructions and supply the two different types of rivets.
Yea most of them are on the top, but the ones on the ends are out the side.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote