Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Godon Hutchinson

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Imperial Blue Metallic
Onstar light turning red

I noticed my onstar light was red when i started my camaro this morning so i contacted onstar. They said there was a problem with the car when they ran their last diagnostic. I ask the tech if there was a code that came up and she said no that i just needed to take the car to my dealer. There has been no info come up in the DIC or any other lights coming on on my dash. I am going to contact onstar again tommorow to have them run another test to see if there is a code that comes up. Just wondering if any of you guys or gals may have any ideas what it is. Everything seems to be running and driving like it should.
Godon Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
MontanaKnight

Drives: Dreaming Of the 2011 SS2 A6 - Soon
MontanaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
nomadicdogg

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Cyber Grey Camaro (sold)
I had this happen in my suburban. probably something with the receiver in the antenna. They had to replace a few parts and it was fine. no big deal. It wont trip any other messages other than that red light.
dealer will fix it easily
nomadicdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Godon Hutchinson

Thank you for the quick reply. I knew some one would have some info on this.The ppl on this site can answer any ? about anything i believe.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
nomadicdogg

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Cyber Grey Camaro (sold)
just from experience... Hope its as simple as mine was good luck
nomadicdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Maybe try pulling the 5 and 20 fuses to reset the bcm? I mean its worth a shot, and itd save you a trip to the dealer.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
It's a problem with the OnStar system in the car, not with any of the engine or electrical systems of the actual car.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
It's a trick. You probably over rev your engine and they're going to void your warranty. It's actually scaring what they could monitor.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS RJT
You too??? Mine turned red a few days ago and it's been like that ever since......I was thinking it's probably cause the year expired? Hmmm I'ma be visiting my dealer soon for my 2nd oil change, so I'ma ask about my Onstar then.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
mine turned red a few times right after i bought it. didn't stay red for long. i've had my car for almost a year now. probably didn't do it again in the last 6 or 7 months. I thought maybe it was just bad reception. I just ignored it. lol
Old 03-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/systemdetails#onstar

Quote:
OnStar System
This system is responsible for the operation of your OnStar system.
[+] Wireless Communication System
[—] Close Wireless Communication System
The communication portion of the OnStar system uses a cellular device and cellular networks to transmit voice and data from your vehicle to the OnStar Call Centers. OnStar is different than an average cell phone. In outlying analog cellular networks, OnStar can use a much stronger signal to make a cellular connection. Your OnStar system also has the capability to use several different cellular networks to make a connection to OnStar. If a problem is detected, the red light next to the OnStar buttons will turn on. That information can also be sent to your OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics check to alert you that service is needed.

[+] Global Positioning System (GPS)
[—] Close Global Positioning System (GPS)
Your OnStar system uses a GPS receiver and is continually calculating your GPS position as you drive. When you push your OnStar or Emergency button, or if your air bags deploy, your vehicle is designed to send your GPS position to OnStar. By sending your location, OnStar Advisors can request that emergency service providers respond to your location. If you have the Directions & Connections service plan, Advisors can find businesses near your current location and can provide you with driving directions to just about anywhere you want to go. If a problem is detected, the red light next to the buttons will turn on to indicate a malfunction. That information can also be sent to your OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics check to alert you that service is needed.

[+] Peripheral Systems
[—] Close Peripheral Systems
Other components in your OnStar system like the buttons, microphone, and antenna are continually monitored to ensure proper function. If a problem is detected, the red light next to the buttons will turn on to indicate a malfunction. That information can also be sent to your OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics check to alert you that service is needed.
so i guess it could be any of those...
Old 03-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
It turns red when you're under surveillance.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Dire wolf has it right

If OnStar detects a female other than your wife or current gf in your Camaro (via a hidden pherome sensor), it sends a signal to your wife or gfs iPhone via the Onstar app and notifys her. It then turns the light red in the car to warn you that you have been busted and gives you time to make up a good story. Everybody wins
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Godon Hutchinson

Talked to Onstar again today and they did say it was something to do with the reception. So ill contact my dealer and get a appointment set up.