Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
KenH

Drives: 2SS/RS
Camaro owners: assessment of your purchase

Hey guys and gals,
I am a newcomer to this forum (very informative site!), and am about to purchase a new camaro (most likely a 1SS). I haven't had a chance to test-drive one (none of the dealerships have any!), so any input on the car would be awesome. I just wanted to know, after months of owning the car, how do you feel about the purchase??? The car is obviously drop-dead gorgeous, but have there been any issues with it? Brakes squeaking or paint peeling or anything? I have heard pretty much all good things about the car, but thought any input from people that have owned it for several months would be worth hearing. Thanks in advance!
KenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
In all honesty the car has been perfect so far. Runs good, paint is good fit and finish is good. Mine was held for QA/QC before delivery so that might have something to do with it. After 3500mi there is nothing I can complain about...
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Welcome to the forum! Definitly a great car! Only thing i would change if i could would be to get the SS. But being 18, thats impossible and my car is still perfect for me. Great car, but definitly test drive the camaro, and the mustang gt and chally. After test driving all 3, i guarentee you it will show you why the Camaro is so great! Great car and love it more and more
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
CloudXTC

Drives: 1LT|RS|SIM|M6|BA Stereo
welcome... gonna give you a quick review of my car...

have had no issues with it so far...
... i do not regret having my car...
but... its not appropriate for my situation right now... (i do have a winter beater)
but... my garage is too small and everytime i take it out and bring it in i literally squeezing my ass...
it would have been better to get a car like a subaru wrx for both excited driving experience and using it in the winter also....

that being said... everytime im in my car... i get a smile...
today... after a month of owning my car... i still go to the garage and look at it... knowing its mine... and loving it a little more...

you see... this car is much more than "that nice ride"...
it grows on you...

1LT | RS | M6 | SIM | BA Stereo
1000 - [07-23-2009] Order Made at dealer
1100 - [08-04-2009] Preliminary order accepted
2000 - [08-25-2009] Accepted by GM
3000 - [09-01-2009] Accepted by production control TPW = 10-05-2009
3300 - [09-28-2009] Scheduled for production
3400 - [10-01-2009] Broadcast - Being Built
3800 - [10-13-2009] Produced - Built- VIN 2G1xxx54917
4200 - [10-19-2009] Shipped
5000 - [10-19-2009] Delivered to the dealer
6000 - [10-20-2009] Delivered to the customer

CloudXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
KenH

Drives: 2SS/RS
Thanks for the input so far!!! I did manage to test drive a 1LT automatic, but of course I am looking at an SS and would much rather a manual. I really appreciate the feedback! Thanks.
KenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH View Post
Hey guys and gals,
I am a newcomer to this forum (very informative site!), and am about to purchase a new camaro (most likely a 1SS). I haven't had a chance to test-drive one (none of the dealerships have any!), so any input on the car would be awesome. I just wanted to know, after months of owning the car, how do you feel about the purchase??? The car is obviously drop-dead gorgeous, but have there been any issues with it? Brakes squeaking or paint peeling or anything? I have heard pretty much all good things about the car, but thought any input from people that have owned it for several months would be worth hearing. Thanks in advance!
My only issue is visability over my left shoulder. Oh, What to hell keep your foot planted and don't bother with the shoulder check. LOL
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
AdamCzap

Drives: 18 zl1, 17 sierra denali
You're going to hear TONS of great things about this car I'm sure. I agree with all of them. I have a 2SS and I have only a few minor beefs, so here's what they are. Let me say again: these are VERY minor beefs:

-blind spot sucks
-active fuel management can be annoying if going slowly up a big hill and it kicks into 4 cylinder mode! (SS)
-the visors are tiny
-the radio turns on to the ipod connection every time i plug in my iphone, even though i didn't change the input (this is a common issue that we all think was overlooked by engineering). i think this only comes with the 2SS... no?
-no place to put your sunglasses (if the console is full)
-kinda hard to see where your front end STOPS when parking (i.e. watch out for curbs.. trust me, they sneak up on you!)
-the trunk has a bolt that keeps coming undone in the spoiler (also a common issue)
-obviously the amount of rear passenger room is a downer.
AdamCzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
Camaro-Teskey
BlackonBlack

Drives: 2010 Blk Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Definitly a great car! Only thing i would change if i could would be to get the SS. But being 18, thats impossible and my car is still perfect for me. Great car, but definitly test drive the camaro, and the mustang gt and chally. After test driving all 3, i guarentee you it will show you why the Camaro is so great! Great car and love it more and more
Yeah I'm 18 too and feel as though the SS would be better suited for me...oh well next time. But to the OP, visibility is not so good at times, wish I got the RS package, and don't let them put the front mount license plate on, get a a swift motorsprosts hideaway plate or something. Every time i look at my bumper it makes me want to hit something just so i can replace it. I would recommend this car after 8,000 km of driving though; it's really fun.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
My only issue is visability over my left shoulder. Oh, What to hell keep your foot planted and don't bother with the shoulder check. LOL
That reminds me of a line from the movie "Gum Ball Rally"
the Italian driver in the Ferarri says as he tears off the rear view mirror... "Whats behind me does not matter"
If you haven't seen that movie, you should get it.. it is hilarious..

Sorry for the detour, back to the reviews of the Camaro...

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 11-25-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Welcome aboard, the car is great if not almost perfect. Many owners ordered and purchased their Camaro's sight unseen and no test drive, they just weren't available. No complaints from me at all.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
haha for those of you that are 18... well im 19 and i love my 2ss i get so many looks from the ladies around campus its great... but ya man get one the only problem i have noticed is the blind spot when backing up but it doesnt matter if your a good driver and also the backup sencer helps out with the blindspot....
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Honestly, I love my car. You'll get used to the visibility the more you drive it. No major complaints here...Got it in July, no issues to report.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
Cyber_Gray_Autobot

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
I really enjoy driving this car. I have only put about 1200 km on it so far but love the power and the styling.

For me, having driven a sports car since I was 18, the blind spot is no different than any other sports cars and you need to use and adjust your mirrors correctly. The rear parking sensors really help out when backing up.

Visibility is decent but not great and the sunvisors have to be small otherwise it would compromise the forward visibility. I looked at a lot of different cars prior to the purchase but have absolutely no regrets as this car is awesome. I found the finish to be very good as well. I will be driving it this winter so we will see how it REALLY performs.
Cyber_Gray_Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
coolman

Well, other than the paint missing from the front bumber cover, paint peeling from rear cover, windows going down when you lock it, a pillar covers coming off, spoiler nuts falling off, water leaking inside when it rains and a couple of other problems it was a great car until we traded it for an SHO. Now my SS that I got a couple of months ago, no problems yet. I think their're getting better everyday. Even with all of that I would still buy another one. wife just wanted four doors again and was tired of the problems with the v-6.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote