Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 09-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
Cerberos

Drives: 1976 camaro
what Coolingand fuel upgrades?

2014 zl1 manual, currently on rotofab intake, 2.55 upper, and tsp 2" long tubes with no cats, next logical power upgrade would be a 10% lower pulley but it seems like im going to need more mods to support it.

cooling needs to be addressed fot the SC system, the car might see up to 1/2 mile events and winter nights around here is 80+F temps with 85% humidity so im dealing with very hot weather all year round.

would it be better to go with the traditional HX and tank or an interchiller setup?

seems like DSX aux pump works very good and is competently priced, do the zl1 FPCM needs to be reflashed or is that only the SS that needs it, i have HP tuners, can i do it myself or it still needs to be sent to DSX?
Cerberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
The fpcm does require reflashing w/ an auxiliary pump. Dave will do it if purchased from him. If you're doing that and have access to E85 I'd suggest going that route (w/ 1000 or 1300 injectors).

As far as your other question, it depends on how many runs you're going to do per event. Many members here have great luck with a HX, then maybe ice on the brick and parking in the shade with the hood open between runs.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
The fpcm does require reflashing w/ an auxiliary pump. Dave will do it if purchased from him. If you're doing that and have access to E85 I'd suggest going that route (w/ 1000 or 1300 injectors).

As far as your other question, it depends on how many runs you're going to do per event. Many members here have great luck with a HX, then maybe ice on the brick and parking in the shade with the hood open between runs.
Dave used to do it. Since HP Tuners opened up the FSCM, I don't think Dave does it anymore. Regardless, if you have HPT already, it's just the cost of an extra credit to get the FSCM calibrated how you want it.

With the addition of the 10% lower, you'll need both injectors and more fuel in my opinion. I've got basically the same stuff you're looking at doing and it has a JMS BAP that came with the car. If I were doing it from scratch, I'd get the DSX pump so I'd be ready for e85 later (for my personal needs, anyway).

You'll need 850 or larger injectors, too (or 1050's since they don't sell 850's now). I'm running 70-75%DC on ID850s at 58psi, so there's headroom there for a cam. In your case, you can probably make it work with just injectors and 65 psi, but just know that your fuel pressure will likely be dropping pretty far. The FSCM will compensate for that delta pressure to get lambda correct, but I'd rather have steady pressure and good push behind the "dose" of fuel. Some people run just the injectors and let the pressure drop, but I personally wouldn't do it.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
Cerberos

Drives: 1976 camaro
ok, so i cant swing it all at once so this is the order im going to do it, first i will go with the aux pump, id1050 injectors and flex fuel sensor, that should allow me to get some extra ponies and i wont fell like i just spend 2k for no extra power.

next will be the pulley and a HX tank that will allow me to add ice to help keep stuff cool.

And lastly a big heat exchanger, still undecided if i should go with one that has fans or not.

any flaws in my plan?
Cerberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
IMO, go straight to the 9.17 lower.

Let me know when you're ready to go. I'll help ya out.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #6
d454brisson

Drives: 2014 ZL1
i am pretty happy with my Afco dual fan, with my current set up it brings the pump and fans on with the key so recovery is good. I have an order in for a chiller to add to the set up hoping to not have to do meth with the extra cooling.

I would definitely consider a cam and then do 9.55 lower and 2.55 upper which if cooled properly will squeeze everything possible out of the supercharger, of course retune.

With Torco and the above you should be able to bring in healthy timing and make pretty solid wheel numbers
d454brisson is offline   Reply With Quote