Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 01-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #225
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85convertibleZ28 View Post
I thought the corvette had the filler cap on the back lid sometime ago, what was the trick then.
not quite the same recessed style, though...
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #226
85convertibleZ28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs cgm M6
Was there ones in the 90s as well I thought my friends ZR1 had it there too.
85convertibleZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #227
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85convertibleZ28 View Post
Was there ones in the 90s as well I thought my friends ZR1 had it there too.

I believe your right.
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #228
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
The only problem I see with a rear quarter panel mounted filler lid is the possibility of rain water, snow or ice getting into the tank. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and think it ought to stay; the lid should just be flush with the body so to speak. I would hate to stand there and use all the paper towels at 7-11 just to soak up rain water.

the vette has it like that. people drive theres in the rain and wash them and dont really have any problems
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #229
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
the vette has it like that. people drive theres in the rain and wash them and dont really have any problems
What, you mean recessed like that? What year corvette are you talking about?
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #230
sbg

Drives: Mustang
Just like they did with the Mustang Concept, they mess up something awesome. I'm a Mustang owner (91 LX 5.0) but this Camaro concept really impressed me at the auto show.

Here's what I noticed has been changed from the concept:

1) You will notice that the back bumper end has some new ridge/inset running horizontal right above the rear exhaust. The concept was smooth and clean. This change makes the back look too busy with the license plate and dual exhuast black thingy.

2) They added the backup lights in the stupidest place. Come on!!! You mean to tell me sticking the backup lights smack dab in the middle of that beautiful back end is better than putting them in the center of the rear lights!

They also increased the size of the side lamps, which we figured would happen, but they did that nicely.

Anyway, I guess I'm a bit disappointed in the changes I've mentioned, especially the backup lights. We should all protest that! We'll wait to see what else, and yes, I'm curious as to the gas cap.

This Mustang owner still may become a Camaro owner...we'll wait and see.
sbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #231
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbg View Post
Just like they did with the Mustang Concept, they mess up something awesome. I'm a Mustang owner (91 LX 5.0) but this Camaro concept really impressed me at the auto show.

1) You will notice that the back bumper end has some new ridge/inset running horizontal right above the rear exhaust. The concept was smooth and clean. This change makes the back look too busy with the license plate and dual exhuast black thingy.

2) They added the backup lights in the stupidest place. Come on!!! You mean to tell me sticking the backup lights smack dab in the middle of that beautiful back end is better than putting them in the center of the rear lights!

They also increased the size of the side lamps, which we figured would happen, but they did that nicely.

Anyway, I guess I'm a bit disappointed in the changes I've mentioned, especially the backup lights. We should all protest that! We'll wait to see what else, and yes, I'm curious as to the gas cap.

I love the backup light location...
Old 01-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #232
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:

1. The bumper outset was for crash safety standards, basically to improve rear end collisions.

2. The backup lights are a throw back to the 68/69 camaros they had them in the same spot, it wasn't just a "pin the tail on the donkey" choice. Also you cant put them next to the license plates due to the different plate configurations used world wide. The C5 corvette had the same problem and thats why they moved them in the C6.

The side markers like you said that was expected. Some things even though they are "cool" and infinitely unique, are just plain unpractical in a daily driver car, which this is marketed as.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #233
sbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by acscamarochick06 View Post
I love the backup light location...
Take a look at the Corvette and notice where those backup lights are....NOT right in the middle of the back bumper. They are nicely integrated into the bottom black portion around the exhaust.

Putting them in the bumper on the Camaro makes it look like an after thought...like, "Oh...let's see, where do we put the backup lights...it's easiest just to cut two holes here in the bumper".

I know we all have our opinion, and maybe it's gonna grow on me. I just think it looks less integrated and the designers should have taken a cue from the Corvette.

I'm also looking at photos and trying to figure out why they recessed the rear bumper a bit, rather than keeping it smooth. That again, seems like some designers not so bright idea.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #234
sbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
1. The bumper outset was for crash safety standards, basically to improve rear end collisions.

2. The backup lights are a throw back to the 68/69 camaros they had them in the same spot, it wasn't just a "pin the tail on the donkey" choice. Also you cant put them next to the license plates due to the different plate configurations used world wide. The C5 corvette had the same problem and thats why they moved them in the C6.
I guess I'd make a lousy designer, because if they asked me to muck with the rear bumper and outset it...I'd find some other internal means of making it pass the 5 mile test, or whatever it is.

The backup lights on the 68/69 are in the lower valance, I believe. Like the old Mustangs. That makes sense, but here it seems like they're in the middle too much. The more I look at the photo, putting them in the lower black valance area would have made more sense.

Anyway, thanks for your information. I know, that we've all got different tastes.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #235
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Can't say I agree much with you on the rear lights...but those could change...and then they may not. But of all the things about this car - not many people touch on that bit all too often

But, what do you mean by this? where is is recessed?
Quote:
I'm also looking at photos and trying to figure out why they recessed the rear bumper a bit, rather than keeping it smooth. That again, seems like some designers not so bright idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
2. The backup lights are a throw back to the 68/69 camaros they had them in the same spot, it wasn't just a "pin the tail on the donkey" choice.
Never noticed that!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #236
fattyj

Drives: 2010 camaro ss coupe
hi all.. love this site.. but i want to make a comment on the back up lights location. i too am not crazy about it, but i can live with it. but i had an idea. if i'm not mistaken the rear brake lights are led's. well can't led's now change color. i was thinking why not have the rear inward brake lights have a dual purpose led lights. for example when you're in reverse the inward brake lights light up white, while the outers light up red. but when in drive, both light up red( inward and outward...) i also believe that range rover uses this technology for there brake (red) and turn (yellow) in one location. i personally think it would be hot. and probably think that it would be cost effective.
fattyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #237
balonywolf

Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
I like the idea, but I don't know if the LED's will make it to production.
balonywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #238
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyj View Post
hi all.. love this site.. but i want to make a comment on the back up lights location. i too am not crazy about it, but i can live with it. but i had an idea. if i'm not mistaken the rear brake lights are led's. well can't led's now change color. i was thinking why not have the rear inward brake lights have a dual purpose led lights. for example when you're in reverse the inward brake lights light up white, while the outers light up red. but when in drive, both light up red( inward and outward...) i also believe that range rover uses this technology for there brake (red) and turn (yellow) in one location. i personally think it would be hot. and probably think that it would be cost effective.
Someone chopped this idea with the original promo pics of the silver coupe concept. Looks alright. I'd rather thay be where they are if those are the only two choices. Ideally, I'd love for them to be hidden where they were before right above the tailpipes. As long as they're bright enough, they should be hidden during normal operational driving aside from reverse.