Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #15
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by khabboub View Post
i would think that its only an SS option though.
True, unless there is a V6 Camaro out there pushing over a 1000 horses to the wheels?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Have you talked to these guys:

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...on-fiber-shaft

I hope that is a typo on the price!
Yeah I hope so too because that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully it's $1,000 in which case I'm interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro View Post
I'm waiting it out until I see good results on the track with these pieces cause they are alot of money. I haven't seen any company claiming they are bullet proof for the money we need to put up to get one
This will be beneficial for more than just track, although it certainly helps there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInSoCal View Post
I don't understand the purpose of a CF driveshaft. If the reason is to lose 8 lbs there has to be cheaper options like put one less gallon of gas in the car, go on a diet for a few weeks, remove some fluid from the 10 gallon windshield wiper resivoir. If it's a strength issue I think you will be fine for 500HP with the standard drive shaft.
A CF driveshaft does several things that are a benefit.

You may have already noticed there's a difference between the power an engine is rated at, and the power that makes it to the rear wheels. There's typically about a 15% loss that occurs because of the power that's absorbed by the clutch, trans, differential, etc.

So for example in the case of the SS the engine is rated at 426 hp. Typically a dyno run shows about 360 making it to the rear wheels. 66 hp is being absorbed in the drivetrain. Some of that power can be recovered with improvements in drivetrain efficiency.

The driveshaft is a 2-piece shaft so there are 4 joints connecting it and absorbing power. It's also unsprung rotating weight. The effect on performance of unsprung rotating weight is about 1-10; 1 lb of unsprung is equal to 10 lbs of regular sprung weight. So reducing 8 lbs on the driveshaft has the same effect as removing 80 lbs from the car.

Replacing a 2-piece shaft with a 1-piece shaft eliminates a set of joints in the middle which increases the efficiency allowing more power to make it to the rear wheels. And it's a percentage effect rather than a fixed amount. Improvements are generally around 2-5%, so if the engine is producing 426, the increase in efficiency means another 10-20 horsepower is making it to the rear wheels.

In addition the 1-piece is smoother, less vibration, can run at a higher rpm as a result. Engine response is faster; less resistance in the drivetrain. It can handle higher hp than the stock shaft.

Lots of good reasons to get this.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #17
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
if you find out more keep us up to date. and also if there is one for the V6 for $1000 that would be a wicked investment!!

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #18
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Have you talked to these guys:

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...on-fiber-shaft

I hope that is a typo on the price!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge.128 View Post
if you find out more keep us up to date. and also if there is one for the V6 for $1000 that would be a wicked investment!!
Thanks to Hypur I'm in contact with these guys and so far it looks good. They say the testing is done and they should have them ready in a few weeks. They said the price on the website is not correct and the price should be around $1200. He said he'll weigh the prototype and let me know the weight.

So far so good!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #19
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
http://www.shop.gforce1320.com/produ...&categoryId=60

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Yeah I hope so too because that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully it's $1,000 in which case I'm interested.

This will be beneficial for more than just track, although it certainly helps there.

You may have already noticed there's a difference between the power an engine is rated at, and the power that makes it to the rear wheels. There's typically about a 15% loss that occurs because of the power that's absorbed by the clutch, trans, differential, etc.

So for example in the case of the SS the engine is rated at 426 hp. Typically a dyno run shows about 360 making it to the rear wheels. 66 hp is being absorbed in the drivetrain. Some of that power can be recovered with improvements in drivetrain efficiency.

The driveshaft is a 2-piece shaft so there are 4 joints connecting it and absorbing power. It's also unsprung rotating weight. The effect on performance of unsprung rotating weight is about 1-10; 1 lb of unsprung is equal to 10 lbs of regular sprung weight. So reducing 8 lbs on the driveshaft has the same effect as removing 80 lbs from the car.

Replacing a 2-piece shaft with a 1-piece shaft eliminates a set of joints in the middle which increases the efficiency allowing more power to make it to the rear wheels. And it's a percentage effect rather than a fixed amount. Improvements are generally around 2-5%, so if the engine is producing 426, the increase in efficiency means another 10-20 horsepower is making it to the rear wheels.

In addition the 1-piece is smoother, less vibration, can run at a higher rpm as a result. Engine response is faster; less resistance in the drivetrain. It can handle higher hp than the stock shaft.

Theres alot in here that is incorrect,ill be glad to go over a few things we have proven over the years,give me a call anytime.i dont think You will not see a driveshaft lighter than the stock shaft,no matter the material,good news is it doesnt hurt you in such a heavy car...
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #21
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
Theres alot in here that is incorrect,ill be glad to go over a few things we have proven over the years,give me a call anytime.i dont think You will not see a driveshaft lighter than the stock shaft,no matter the material,good news is it doesnt hurt you in such a heavy car...
Well... this is interesting. Please feel free to correct whatever you like here in this thread as I know others might benefit from the info.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #22
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Quote:
Thanks to Hypur I'm in contact with these guys and so far it looks good. They say the testing is done and they should have them ready in a few weeks. They said the price on the website is not correct and the price should be around $1200. He said he'll weigh the prototype and let me know the weight.

So far so good!
good luck Doc =)

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #23
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
Not as light as one would hope.

Hi guys, as much as i would like to state the driveshaft will be that light it will not. I took a aluminum shaft we make that will have close to the same ends and just have the different tube and its 17lbs and this is with a special aluminum head we developed for the shaft (the CV alone is about 4lbs). I would have to take an educated guess that the
carbon shaft would be about 2lbs less. I will throw this out there, years ago when we started making the driveshafts for the Pro Drift teams there was a similar discussion and we donated a steel shaft and a aluminum shaft to have actual dyno testing done, i would have to check back in my records for a detailed account of the test but the total test with run up and run down showed very little (almost non discernable) differences. The aluminum shaft was 35% less weight than the steel one. Its one thing when your talking a large diameter part like a clutch but in smaller diameters its not as critical or effected. just our experience on the subject. I will say this that changing from a 2 piece to single will have more athletic feel to the car as it will loose what I call "hanger lag" the 2 piece shaft has.

Last edited by Driveshaftshop; 11-30-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: pix sisent attach
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #24
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:

thanks for the info...good to know
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #25
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Isn't a two piece d/s stronger than a one piece with all other spec the same though?
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #26
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
shaft info

It would depend on how each is made, the shorter tube will have a higher yield than a longer one but normally longer tubes are larger diameter. A 3" chromoly tube has a max yield of 4957 compared to a 3-1/2 aluminum shaft at 3464. Being the engine/trans would
have a hard time reaching either its a draw in my opinion. Lingenfelters car although runs our axles still has the factory shaft, the Guibo
joints (funny name but its what the proper name is for them) are very forgiving and shows how much shock they take out of the drive train before the pinion
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #27
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

So you're saying a 1-piece aluminum shaft will basically offer as much benefit as a 1-piece carbon fiber shaft?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #28
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
We've sold several of our 3.75" Carbon Fiber shafts for the 2010 Camaro. They all worked out great.
We sell them with a billet pinion yoke for the rear diff so you can get rid of the adapter and get away from the bolts that bend or break back there.
If your not making that much power we can do one with an adapter, we have PST make our shafts. I know they have made Carbon Fiber shafts for some guys on here without the billet pinion yoke.
Were starting a new batch of pinion yokes this week if anyone is needing one.

Thanks
Chris
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote