Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
saccrestorations

Drives: Camaro
LS9 jackshaft

I have an application that will require that I turn the intake on my ls9 180 degrees. Can anyone suggest an easy way to come up with a jack shaft drive system? I have a small mill and lathe so I can fab some parts myself if needed. I will also need to consider the rotational direction since it will be reversed.
saccrestorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
maybe you can give us a little more detail so we can visualize what youre trying to do? Maybe an easier way is to ditch the LS9 blower and use a TVS2300 with a jackshaft, and drive it off the rear cog.

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
saccrestorations

I won't be ditching the ls9 blower. I am going to reverse the ls9 blower 180 degrees. By doing this, I will need to drive the blower via a jackshaft. My question is, does anyone know where I can buy the jackshaft and bearings,etc? I can build the parts myself if needed but I would rather not reinvent the wheel if I don't have too. Part of the requirements of this project is to use the complete factory ls9.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Is there even enough "meat" at the front and rear of the LS9 blower to support the jackshaft? Highly questionable that there would be. There's quite a bit of load on each end of that shaft. The engineers all try to make thinks as light as possible. I'm guessing GM didn't envision your reinvention of their wheel.

EDIT: Hope all you guys are having a blessed Christmas and holiday season!
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
saccrestorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Is there even enough "meat" at the front and rear of the LS9 blower to support the jackshaft? Highly questionable that there would be. There's quite a bit of load on each end of that shaft. The engineers all try to make thinks as light as possible. I'm guessing GM didn't envision your reinvention of their wheel.
Why does if have to be mounted to the blower? Wow, I have posted one time on this forum and this is the kind of support you guys give? I hope there are some gear heads out there that have a few ideas that are actually helpful...
Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by saccrestorations View Post
Why does if have to be mounted to the blower? Wow, I have posted one time on this forum and this is the kind of support you guys give? I hope there are some gear heads out there that have a few ideas that are actually helpful...
Just because every one I've ever seen has been done that way. No other reason. Guess I'm not thinking outside the box enough for you. Maybe you could JACK shaft OFF the shock tower some kind of way. Best of luck to you
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
saccrestorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Just because every one I've ever seen has been done that way. No other reason. Guess I'm not thinking outside the box enough for you. Maybe you could JACK shaft OFF the shock tower some kind of way. Best of luck to you
Man, your classy!

Last edited by saccrestorations; 12-25-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
I'd contact Magnuson, they probably have a replacement part for their blower, you'd have to fab up some brackets, maybe using a ball bearing to reduce friction on the mounts, to then hold it in place. I can send you pictures of the setup on my blower this week if you'd like.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Topher3134

Drives: delete me
Quote:
Originally Posted by saccrestorations View Post
Mann, your classy!
I think what most of these people are trying to tell u is that it makes no sense to even go this route. I pretty sure the blower only works one way so now you would not only need to figure out a jackshaft but also how to switch the rotation. You want something that doesn't seems fiscally realistic.
Topher3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Topher3134

Oh and Man is spelled with one n boys! One n.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
saccrestorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
I'd contact Magnuson, they probably have a replacement part for their blower, you'd have to fab up some brackets, maybe using a ball bearing to reduce friction on the mounts, to then hold it in place. I can send you pictures of the setup on my blower this week if you'd like.
Sure, I would love to see your setup. THANK YOU!!!

My email is projects@saccrestorations.net.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
saccrestorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher3134 View Post
I think what most of these people are trying to tell u is that it makes no sense to even go this route. I pretty sure the blower only works one way so now you would not only need to figure out a jackshaft but also how to switch the rotation. You want something that doesn't seems fiscally realistic.
You may be right, it may not make sense. Since I am just doing some research on the feasibility at this stage, I may end up running the LS9 as delivered and do some mods to the car to make it fit correctly.

I basically wanted to see if anyone had made there own Jackshaft drive. It can't be that difficult.

I have thought about the directional issue. That could be corrected by either running through 2 gears that could also be used to provide under-drive or overdrive changeability. Could be done with a small enclosure bathed in oil etc... But again, the time and trouble may not be worth it.

One guy recommended running it off the backside of the belt which would run it the correct direction but then I would be concerned about belt slippage. If the belt wrapped around the pulley, lets say 270 degrees, it may be enough to not slip... not sure...

BUT, I have to agree that this one may just not be worth it to do. I am sure I can get the motor installed by doing some mods to the car to make the intake work as delivered.

Take care!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
saccrestorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher3134 View Post
Oh and Man is spelled with one n boys! One n.
oops... Thanks! I fixed it... I will be the first to admit, I am the worst when it comes to spelling. Thank god for spell check!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Topher3134

What kind of car is it going into?