Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
tizzle_ss

Drives: 2011 2SS
2014 SS Auto w/ Quad port Exhaust?

I've got a 2011 SS, looking to get a 2014 SS. I contacted my connect at the dealership today and he told me that he has a black 2014 2SS. He sent me the vehicle locator pdf which has all the specs which are as follows:

http://imgur.com/Mc4G7zr

He tells me that "the quad pipes are part of the dealer installed ground effects package and that it is not available to go along with the 2014 yet"... my question is, does he know what he's talking about or not? I think I saw somewhere that the quad port exhaust isn't available on the auto 2014 SS? Just looking to get some clarification, I don't want to leave the lot without exactly what I want. Thanks guys.
tizzle_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
Most of the time Quad tips are from the NPP exhaust. Im not sure what the WRS-RS exterior package is.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperadub70 View Post
Most of the time Quad tips are from the NPP exhaust. Im not sure what the WRS-RS exterior package is.
It's the RS package.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Here's one with quad pipes 1LT-RS.
http://www.maritimemotors.com/Vehicl...ear=&maxPrice=
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #5
tizzle_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperadub70 View Post

Can you elaborate on what NPP exhaust means? I googled it, and saw many references to it but no explanation as to what the "NPP" stood for.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
Squillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzle_ss View Post
Can you elaborate on what NPP exhaust means? I googled it, and saw many references to it but no explanation as to what the "NPP" stood for.
NPP is the code GM has for the dual mode exhaust that is a factory option. The dealer chooses "NPP" when ordering the car to get the dual mode exhaust.

It doesn't stand for anything that I'm aware of.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
tizzle_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squillo View Post
NPP is the code GM has for the dual mode exhaust that is a factory option. The dealer chooses "NPP" when ordering the car to get the dual mode exhaust.

It doesn't stand for anything that I'm aware of.

Ahh ok, so basically the guy at the dealership doesn't know what he's talking about in reference to this. It's obvious that they are currently being offered and sold w/ the NPP exhaust... what I really need to know is if that option will be available on the 2014 SS RS model w/ AUTO transmission.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
Squillo

Quote:
Ahh ok, so basically the guy at the dealership doesn't know what he's talking about in reference to this. It's obvious that they are currently being offered and sold w/ the NPP exhaust... what I really need to know is if that option will be available on the 2014 SS RS model w/ AUTO transmission.
Not sure about the auto tranny, and I am not going to look at 100 cars on the internet to find out. You, however may wish to do so. Good luck!!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
tizzle_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
AFAIK it's not available on the L99. I've read that AFM makes it sound like fairy farts and we don't want that.

You're going to need an LS3.
Damn... I was really wanting those quad tips on an auto 2014. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #10
Squillo

Quote:
Damn... I was really wanting those quad tips on an auto 2014. Thanks for the info.
You could always get the manual transmission, and spend the money saved on the NPP exhaust...
Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Or... You can buy that car and put on an aftermarket exhaust with quad tips.

Stainless Works Chambered Retro. You're either going to need a tune or buy a range device to shut off the AFM.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Your salesman is full of it. The NPP Quad Tip Exhaust is not available on the SS with an automatic transmission for a very good reason. The auto trans cars have the L99 engine, with AFM, which shuts off 4 cylinders under cruise conditions. They have a ultra quiet exhaust system so the exhaust note can't be heard when in 4 cylinder mode. If you install an aftermarket exhaust system you'll have to turn off the AFM with either a Range device or a tune. A tune will void your powertrain warranty. Personally, I could never see the point in spending $1195 more for the automatic transmission and ending up with an engine that makes 26hp less(my tuner tells me that its actually closer to 50hp at the wheels, because the auto transmission sucks another approx.25hp off) and turns into a 4 cylinder on the highway. I say take that $1195 you were going to spend on the auto and spend $900 of it on the NPP exhaust. You'll have approx. $300 extra in your pocket and you'll never look back. But, hey it's your money and your car, get what you want.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
tizzle_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Your salesman is full of it. The NPP Quad Tip Exhaust is not available on the SS with an automatic transmission for a very good reason. The auto trans cars have the L99 engine, with AFM, which shuts off 4 cylinders under cruise conditions. They have a ultra quiet exhaust system so the exhaust note can't be heard when in 4 cylinder mode. If you install an aftermarket exhaust system you'll have to turn off the AFM with either a Range device or a tune. A tune will void your powertrain warranty. Personally, I could never see the point in spending $1195 more for the automatic transmission and ending up with an engine that makes 26hp less(my tuner tells me that its actually closer to 50hp at the wheels, because the auto transmission sucks another approx.25hp off) and turns into a 4 cylinder on the highway. I say take that $1195 you were going to spend on the auto and spend $900 of it on the NPP exhaust. You'll have approx. $300 extra in your pocket and you'll never look back. But, hey it's your money and your car, get what you want.
Thanks for the info man, I just don't have much experience driving a manual. I did so for about 3 months about 5 years ago. That's the extent of my experience, which is why I was going to go auto.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Thanks for the info man, I just don't have much experience driving a manual. I did so for about 3 months about 5 years ago. That's the extent of my experience, which is why I was going to go auto.
I understand. I'm not anti-automatic, it's just that on a SS Camaro, an automatic doesn't make much sense to me. You probably don't want a V6, but I think that the NPP exhaust is available on the V6 with an automatic transmission, because the V6 auto doesn't have AFM. It's just the AFM, that NPP exhaust is not compatible with, so I think they'll install on any about any model that doesn't have AFM. I don't know if it's available on the LS or not, but I'm pretty sure it's available on the LT. You can get it on the V6(auto or manual), SS(manual only), 1LE(all 1LE's are manual), and its standard on the ZL1(auto and manual).
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014 camaro ss quad exhaust