Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #29
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagman View Post
I've heard that the rationale behind parking in 2nd is that if the parking brake fails, it's now the gear holding the car in place and they will be under stress. It will be a lot easier to temporarily lose 2nd than it will be to lose 1st. Shrug
your'e not going to "loose" any gear if the parking brake was not sufficient to hold the vehicle. the force of the wheels turning the transmission/engine are completely normal and not different then when you are driving the vehicle.
Leaving a manual transmission in 1st (or reverse) is as normal as leaving your automatic transmission in Park.... you wouldn't leave that in neutral would you? it is a backup to the parking brake.
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #30
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
I've heard that the rationale behind parking in 2nd is that if the parking brake fails, it's now the gear holding the car in place and they will be under stress. It will be a lot easier to temporarily lose 2nd than it will be to lose 1st.

Shrug
How is having your car up against a gear when it is parked any more stressful than downshifting and engine braking when you are driving? 1st gear or reverse will hold your vehicle firmer than any of the higher gears will.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:49 AM   #31
jlagman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Seems like a silly idea considering if the car has better holding ability in first gear. Say you put it in 2nd to save 1st gear but because the car isn't held as well it rolls away and is crashed. Some good that pristine 1st gear does you now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post
your'e not going to "loose" any gear if the parking brake was not sufficient to hold the vehicle. the force of the wheels turning the transmission/engine are completely normal and not different then when you are driving the vehicle.
Leaving a manual transmission in 1st (or reverse) is as normal as leaving your automatic transmission in Park.... you wouldn't leave that in neutral would you? it is a backup to the parking brake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
How is having your car up against a gear when it is parked any more stressful than downshifting and engine braking when you are driving? 1st gear or reverse will hold your vehicle firmer than any of the higher gears will.
Again, shrug.

I don't live in San Francisco or anywhere that would normally cause me to park on drastic inclines/declines. But I agree with parking in gear, as a secondary measure to prevent the vehicle from rolling away, should the parking brake fail.
jlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #32
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
agree with most, reverse if downhill, 1st if uphill, parked in the garage in reverse so when you start it if your foot would ever happen to slip your go backwards not into your workbench. same with parking spots.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #33
nickswe
A Swede lost in Texas

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2014 Black M6
It's actually funny that this need to be discussed. Everyone should know that you park the car in either 1st or reverse and apply your park brake for redundancy.

If parking in slope you also turn the front wheels towards the curb.

It's not rocket science really 😂

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

Currently driving a 2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe.
nickswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #34
jlagman

This "parking brake for redundancy" is the idea I don't agree with. The parking brake is your primary method for parking the vehicle. Having it in gear is the redundant measure.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #35
MovieGuy

Quote:
This "parking brake for redundancy" is the idea I don't agree with. The parking brake is your primary method for parking the vehicle. Having it in gear is the redundant measure.
Having your car in gear is far more reliable than the parking brake. As I posted earlier, in my time I have seen so many problems with parking brakes that I don't trust them at all. The cables can and do get stretched out, the channels they follow can and do get full of dirt which freezes the cables up, cables can and do break. And now they are electronic, that is one more thing on them that can malfunction.

The name "parking brake" is relatively new, they used to be called "emergency brakes". Beings they are mechanically operated rather than hydraulically operated, if your regular brakes went out due to a broken line, or other leak, you could use the "emergency" brake to stop you.

Life after retirement
Old 09-16-2016, 04:02 AM   #36
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroky View Post
I've always left it in 1st on level ground or when facing uphill. If I face downhill then I would put it in reverse. Don't really know if either way makes a difference.

Just never heard of putting it in reverse to shut down more of the electronics when the car is parked.
I put it in whatever gear will stop the car from rolling if the parking brake fails, like you said, if I don't want it rolling forward, I put it in reverse, and vise versa.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #37
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
I've been driving nothing but manual transmissions for 20 years. You park it in gear whether or not you use the parking brake.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #38
jlagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I've been driving nothing but manual transmissions for 20 years. You park it in gear whether or not you use the parking brake.
Again, I don't disagree with the being in gear part; I'm not the one parking in neutral. Guess what? I've only ever driven manual transmissions too, cool story bro.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #39
RATED V

Drives: 2016 Camaro Six 1SS LT1 Mosaic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfly View Post
I always leave it in 1st unless I'm in my driveway and then sometimes I put it in reverse. Doesn't really matter one way or the other. My hand is always resting on the shifter too. You just never know when one of those pesky mustangs is going to pull along side.

HAA exactly!! never knew when rev match and down shift need to occur!
RATED V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #40
RATED V

Drives: 2016 Camaro Six 1SS LT1 Mosaic
My electronic park break makes a click noise each time I use it. (housing) its located behind my driver back wheel. It drives me crazy. Sounds like I am manually pushing the emergency break down. Anyone else?? 2016 SS
RATED V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #41
MovieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATED V View Post
My electronic park break makes a click noise each time I use it. (housing) its located behind my driver back wheel. It drives me crazy. Sounds like I am manually pushing the emergency break down. Anyone else?? 2016 SS
Get it checked out. Your e brake is operated by a cable separately from your regular brakes. That cable could be binding on something.

Life after retirement
Old 09-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #42
cjfeola

Drives: 2016 Convertible 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipNWis View Post
I read they other day riding with you hand on the shifter isn't a good thing? I seems to always have my hand resting on the shifter ?? What's your Take on this ????
I always ride with my hand on the shifter. Of course, I only got 274,369 miles out of the M5 in the 2001 BMW X5 I just traded in on my Summit White 1LT 6M 'vert. YMMV

Cjf
cjfeola is offline   Reply With Quote