Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Cyrus

Drives: 50th 2SS
Best tune for 2010 LS3

Just looking for suggestions or opinions on what the best tune for my car would be. I've got zero experience with tuning a car. Only mods done are a Flowmaster exhaust and cold air intake. Wondering what the average cost would be and would you typically get the car dyno'd before and after. I'm in Ottawa, Canada.
Thanks.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
https://www.rdpstore.com/p-6042-sct-...tom-tunes.aspx

Not sure if it's the best but myself and many others are extremely happy with it and DynoSteve's tunes. You won' t find better customer service.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
The problem with Ottawa is there aren't many good shops that can tune these cars from research I did before having Dynosteve do my L99. Your mods aren't worth Dyno tuning IMHO. The biggest cost for me over the tuning device were the exchange rate, purolator shipping & bloody duties. Those added up to about 200 more than the price of the SCTX4 & tune.

But it depends on costs to I'm sure whether one is a better option than another. I'd guess they would be similar in cost for a remote or dyno tuning not sure though. Where the remote tune is cheaper is if you do mods later say headers or hi flos he just updates your tune for free whereas you have to pay for a dyno and re-tune going the dyno route.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
We have great mail-order tuning through our Mycalibrator device! Updating your tuning in the future if you decide to add other mods, like headers, is free of charge as well.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP611104
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
https://www.rdpstore.com/p-6042-sct-...tom-tunes.aspx

Not sure if it's the best but myself and many others are extremely happy with it and DynoSteve's tunes. You won' t find better customer service.
Updates are free no matter where you buy your parts, unlike some others.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
The problem with Ottawa is there aren't many good shops that can tune these cars from research I did before having Dynosteve do my L99. Your mods aren't worth Dyno tuning IMHO. The biggest cost for me over the tuning device were the exchange rate, purolator shipping & bloody duties. Those added up to about 200 more than the price of the SCTX4 & tune.

But it depends on costs to I'm sure whether one is a better option than another. I'd guess they would be similar in cost for a remote or dyno tuning not sure though. Where the remote tune is cheaper is if you do mods later say headers or hi flos he just updates your tune for free whereas you have to pay for a dyno and re-tune going the dyno route.

Yes I found that out pretty quick Ottawa sucks for Car tuning. I ended up going with a Trifecta tune there's a local guy who seems great that will do it for me. Really good price. Its in ten days, I'll post the before and after dyno results then.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriorSS View Post
Yes I found that out pretty quick Ottawa sucks for Car tuning. I ended up going with a Trifecta tune there's a local guy who seems great that will do it for me. Really good price. Its in ten days, I'll post the before and after dyno results then.
You are going to waste a lot of money, go with DynoSteve. Really what you have done to your car , the HP increase is so small you will not feel it.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
You are going to waste a lot of money, go with DynoSteve. Really what you have done to your car , the HP increase is so small you will not feel it.

$500 CDN not breaking the bank here. If I get anywhere near these results I'll be happy.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
P1100

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I went with Diablo I3 91 tune, pleased with results. Easy to use. Certainly livened up my mostly stock LS3.

I rarely get to max RPM but is faster throttle response and HP at 1000-4000 rpm. Where I drive.

Had an I1000 and I2 on other cars, sold them with cars. I3 is much faster.
P1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
qcman

Quote:
$500 CDN not breaking the bank here. If I get anywhere near these results I'll be happy.

It would have cost you at least that much with a remote tune like I did by the time duty, dollar conversion, shipping etc. so price wise you are doing fine there I would say. I know trifecta was big for tuning the V6' s but I didn't know they could do V8's as well. Interesting.
It seems you are going on a dyno for this though so it's not an email tune then? I don't know where I'm at power wise but I would think its about the same as that graph indicates.

One thing I had Steve do for me was update my tune to just run 94 octane from Petro Canada & that seemed to give me some more oomph over the 91 tune I had initially. That might be something to consider with your tuner too? I still have my 91 tune as a backup & will load it if I take the car far enough away where I can't buy 94 like Quebec City where they only seem to have up to 91.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:53 PM   #11
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I have received 8 different tunes from Steve @ RDP. The cost for the SCTX4 was the only price paid, tunes are free for life.

The difference with a Dyno tune is the tuner has a "rolling street" to tune it on, but with the e-mail tune, you simply record a pass after loading it, send it to Steve, and he will fine tune it if needed.

One Dyno tune at the most reputable shop in my area is $600, with subsequent tunes ranging from $250-$350, so Steve has saved me a couple thousand dollars on tunes, so I can spend that money buying mods from him. Even if you don't buy performance mods from him, you still get free tunes for life.

He has tuned so many G5 Camaro's, that he knows exactly what to do based upon your mods.

It's the best deal you'll find, and his customer service and turnaround time is fantastic. The best thing about him is if you are considering a mod that wont do much for performance, unlike many companies that will go ahead and sell it to you, he will tell you the truth, and what the next best mod for your car should be. Honesty is hard to find in today's world.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #12
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
It would have cost you at least that much with a remote tune like I did by the time duty, dollar conversion, shipping etc. so price wise you are doing fine there I would say. I know trifecta was big for tuning the V6' s but I didn't know they could do V8's as well. Interesting.
It seems you are going on a dyno for this though so it's not an email tune then? I don't know where I'm at power wise but I would think its about the same as that graph indicates.

One thing I had Steve do for me was update my tune to just run 94 octane from Petro Canada & that seemed to give me some more oomph over the 91 tune I had initially. That might be something to consider with your tuner too? I still have my 91 tune as a backup & will load it if I take the car far enough away where I can't buy 94 like Quebec City where they only seem to have up to 91.

I've given up ordering anything from the US. With shipping costs, duty and the exchange rate its not worth it unless its 80% off retail price. Too bad since almost everything I want to order for my car is not available in Canada. Trade agreement sucks but thats another topic.

Getting the car dynoed independently from the tune just doing it at the same location and time. $190/hr on top of the $500 for use of the dnyo shop. Hoping to complete everything in 90mins. I debated the additional costs but in the end I just want to know the exact gains and its also nice to know where exactly your car stands.

No mention of a 94 octane tune I should ask. Do you really notice considerable difference ? Not sure I want to switch back and forth and sometimes finding 94 can be difficult though it seems you have a pretty good method dealing with that.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
qcman

Quote:
I've given up ordering anything from the US. With shipping costs, duty and the exchange rate its not worth it unless its 80% off retail price. Too bad since almost everything I want to order for my car is not available in Canada. Trade agreement sucks but thats another topic.

Getting the car dynoed independently from the tune just doing it at the same location and time. $190/hr on top of the $500 for use of the dnyo shop. Hoping to complete everything in 90mins. I debated the additional costs but in the end I just want to know the exact gains and its also nice to know where exactly your car stands.

No mention of a 94 octane tune I should ask. Do you really notice considerable difference ? Not sure I want to switch back and forth and sometimes finding 94 can be difficult though it seems you have a pretty good method dealing with that.
Yeah like I said I'm in over 500 with all the BS that came with it. Steve is great and so was his price the problem is on the Canadian side of the fence. So the tune is a remote tune really but the dyno is to see how it fared before and after... got it.

No I don't think 94 is a must I do notice a difference in my car but it isn't huge but its there. But I'm all stock too with no intentions of further mods so I want all I can get with what I've done. And the fact I can change it if need be is a real plus & gives me the best of both worlds. Looking forward to hear how it went.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #14
Cyrus

Overall pretty happy with the results for $500 CND. I've been told Mustang Dynamometer's report about 12% lower results vs DynaTune. That said I got a 21HP increase on the Mustang Dyno which would be approx 24HP with DynaTune. Much better throttle response between gears less lag. I attached the test results.

One thing I also learned is these cars are nowhere near 426HP at the crank stock.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Dynamometer.pdf (195.2 KB, 88 views)