Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
Side mirrors

I've been a Camaro owner for a little over two months now and I have been wondering about the side mirrors.

They don't fold like other car mirrors and they are situated at a diagonal to the door, versus directly outward like most cars.

I've been wondering, how strong are these side mirrors? I figure that people would hit them easily if in tight parking spaces or just plain careless people. How are they bolted to the door? Is it a really tight fit with the car itself?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
_Nick_

Drives: '87 T/A, '87 IROC, '70 Grand Prix
The mirrors wont come off unless someone really wings their door into it.
_Nick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
or if you back out of the garage wrong. But the mirrors are held on by two bolts and if they are going to come off it will come off at the bolts instead of breaking (most likely)
Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I backed out and dragged my trash bin with the car a ways when it had stuff in it and didnt damage anything. I'd say they are fairly well attached. However, if you hit something solid like the edge of the garage it will bend the mount point before it breaks the bolts.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
couple people had this happen, seemed most common to have the bolts stay in place on the car with the immediate plastic area around them stay on the car from the mirror, adn the rest of the mirror housing falls off, so you would have to do some fiberglassing or get some adhesive to put the mirror back together, but presumably the car and door would be fine

Tags
bolt, break, mirrors, side, strength