Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #71
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Gen Forever View Post
Hey CAM ZL1. Sucks what you're going through with your new ZL1. I have #140. It's also AGM with a manual. Have just over 5000 miles on it and it's currently down for mods in my garage so I figured I'd go out and at least look at my wire harnes routing for the power steering for ya. Unlike your picture in post #6, mine routes through the green box in your picture so I'm assuming your tech re-routed yours before taking the picture. I can see the bracket he may be referring to but at least on my car it doesn't look like it's at risk of cutting. I like the stock routing.

Attached is a photo I took where the razor-sharp portion of the engine block is highlighted by the green box. You can actually see the burr, which I physically felt, and it was infact, sharp. In my, and the service tech's opinion, that wiring harness being mashed against the sharp surface would sooner or later cause failure. Shifted to the right, as I highlighted in red, the harness has some play, but is still clear of any chaffing issues.

Name:  ref21.jpg
Views: 1919
Size:  132.2 KB

It seems like no one has noted the front fascia ductwork the service tech found that was installed incorrectly and for lack of a better term, "loose". I haven't been able to personally look at this issue because the car has been on a lift, but maybe someone knows the component he was referencing. I will try to post pictures of it when I have access to the car.

No word back yet on the replacement flywheel, clutch, or rear engine block plate and a "level 2" customer service rep told me they would conclude their research and call me Friday if and when the issue is resolved. Thanks for your support my fellow ZL1 owners and Camaro enthusiasts, I hope I'm the only one who has to deal with any of these issues let alone all of them.
CAM ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #72
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
DAMN........ what happened to the Quality Control hold all these cars were on right before they were released......I understand a mass produced item has issues but this isn't a cheap item and I would be a little PO'd after the long wait and now running into some serious concerns on a very expensive car..
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #73
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

As if things weren't bad enough. 20 days since I ordered my custom plate it finally arrived.

Name:  ref22.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  211.5 KB

If it needs to be said, I put the order in for "CAM ZL1", and I mean 1 not the roman numeral version which either the dealership employee or the state decided fit to give me.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #74
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM ZL1 View Post
As if things weren't bad enough. 20 days since I ordered my custom plate it finally arrived.

Attachment 397261

If it needs to be said, I put the order in for "CAM ZL1", and I mean 1 not the roman numeral version which either the dealership employee or the state decided fit to give me.
Send the plates back , that's not what you paid for .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #75
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't think they would be able to replace it with a limited production 2012 MY.
I'd atleast try. I would not continue to deal with this car if you do not have to. It just seems like the car will continue to give you issues.

GM can probably locate another ZL1 for you that has not been sold. You paid way to much $ to already be having issues.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #76
atintpro
tintpro

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE , '69 454 camaro,
Ya know it sucks...but shit happens and I am sure they will make it right. I was always told to break em in like you were going to drive em. I did just that with mine and not a lick of a problem here. I drove it 1400 miles home let her rest for a couple nights, drove her another 124 miles to the track and drove it like I stole it. I have over 50 1/4 mile passes and a bit over 5000 miles...no leaks, no problems!!!
atintpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #77
Sc0rPs

Drives: 2010 2LT / RS - 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamajama View Post
Good catch CAM ZL1 on the wire bundle.. In the aircraft industry, we called that condition "chaffing" and in this case, it not only can cause system failures but worse yet a fire caused by shorted hot wires to ground. Chevy should at least look into their production line to make sure that this is just an isolated case.
Like to make one note about the engine compartment wire bundle routing, I've noticed at least on my car, there are many areas of "chaffing condition" which was corrected with adding teflon tape to mitigate the condition. I think they can do a better job.
But with all that being said, I still loooooove my ZL1!!
If/when you get time could you possibly point out the areas that may be chaffing on the ZL1?

1000 - Initial Order 6/27/12
1100 - Preliminary order accepted 6/27/12 - QKVTPV
2000 - Order accepted by GM
2500 - Order preferenced
3000 - Order accepted by production control
3100 - Order available to sequence
3300 - Order scheduled for production
3400 - Order broadcast
3800 - Order produced
4000 - Available to ship
4104 - Bailment Invoice
4200 - Shipped
4300 - Intermediate Delivery
4B00 - Bayed
Sc0rPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #78
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspddmn View Post
Yeah i know but its still better than driving a lemon. And besides, there are still 2012's out there still sitting on lots.
Yup... I agree and if it were me I'd do as you suggest, but it's not about you or I.

Quote:

Hopefully the one you wanted is still available.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #79
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
My flood lamp
On the passenger light on my ZL1 fell out back into the housing area, I have to take it tommorow because it has to be lifted to get the front piece off to get in there to find out what happened
Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #80
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

On Friday I received a call that the rear plate including the rear main seal, the flywheel and the clutch had been replaced and the car was test driven and ready to go. Given the previous two times I have heard it was fixed I was skeptical so I picked my ZL1 up and proceeded to drive it around two country blocks and sure enough the smell of burning oil was back, so I put the car into reverse and could see oil dripping in the rear view camera. I drove the car back to the dealership less then 15 minutes after I picked it up, pulled into the garage and the service tech with a look of disbelief immediately dropped to the floor and confirmed the dripping fluid was back. He put it back on the lift and with the photosensitive flashlight confirmed the leak was motor oil still injected with dye. So I left my ZL1 over the weekend again not even sure if the tech would get the green light on tearing into the car for the third time or if GM was going to hold him from looking into it again.

I was expecting a call from a GM Customer Service rep who I informed of the updated situation. She said that as of the problem being fixed the previous time GM was not willing to go through with a buyback. So this week I am supposed to hear what the decision is regarding a third attempt at fixing the problem. It seems from talking to the customer service rep that GM doesn't make any calls on potential car buybacks until the problem is fixed. So once again I have to sit on my hands for potentially another week as the issue is found.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #81
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:

I was expecting a call from a GM Customer Service rep who I informed of the updated situation. She said that as of the problem being fixed the previous time GM was not willing to go through with a buyback. So this week I am supposed to hear what the decision is regarding a third attempt at fixing the problem. It seems from talking to the customer service rep that GM doesn't make any calls on potential car buybacks until the problem is fixed. So once again I have to sit on my hands for potentially another week as the issue is found.
So GM says that if they screw up and can't fix it, then it's YOUR problem not theirs?

I would definitely look into the legality of that. Just because GM says it, that doesn't make it so.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #82
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
sounds like GM needs to do a total motor swap...ship a crate LSA and toss the old leaking LSA into a dumpster
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #83
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
lemon it and get a new one.
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #84
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer72 View Post
lemon it and get a new one.
I agree, Lemon Law... That's a 60-65k car!
That's
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, issue, oil leak, pcv, pos, problem, zl1